You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

help with this hand because i played it badly!

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic

i self destructed with this hand and i'm quite annoyed with how i played it. once the raise comes on the flop i feel i have to call, but where did i go wrong here??? was i just unlucky? or did i play this hand as badly as poss?

avemaria Small blind  15.00 15.00 3065.00
waller02 Big blind  30.00 45.00 1730.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

boycs365 Call  30.00 75.00 2710.00
sara36dd08 Fold     
YOUNG_GUN Raise  120.00 195.00 1870.00
sy1000 Fold     
avemaria Call  105.00 300.00 2960.00
waller02 Raise  450.00 750.00 1280.00
boycs365 Fold     
YOUNG_GUN Fold     
avemaria Call  360.00 1110.00 2600.00
Flop

• Q

avemaria Check     
waller02 Bet  690.00 1800.00 590.00
avemaria All-in  2600.00 4400.00 0.00
waller02 All-in  590.00 4990.00 0.00
avemaria Unmatched bet  1320.00 3670.00 1320.00
avemaria Show
  • Q
  • A

waller02 Show
  • K
  • A

Turn

River

avemaria Win Pair of Queens 3670.00

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I'd just shove pre.
  • edited June 2011
    Shove pre, then least u'll have the satisfaction of knowing u went in ahead lol
  • edited June 2011
    surely shove pre is too much this early???

maybe a flat call and give up on the flop would have been best,  I dont know! It's hands like this that cost me a lot though so maybe I will shove pre in future.....takes the ball ache away lol
  • edited June 2011
    Early on when blinds are low I wouldnt 3-bet pre as at the levels we play at it doesnt have the desired effect of thinning the field. A7 is just as likely to come along & 33 etc. If Big PP I think u play it fine but AK doesnt play well post flop.

I would check/fold flop if u hit u generally get paid. Keep the losing with this hand to the minimum.

Late on in tourney go as looney as u like with this, I think your play here then would be ok, except possibly the call of the shove on the end.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: help with this hand because i played it badly!:
    Early on when blinds are low I wouldnt 3-bet pre as at the levels we play at it doesnt have the desired effect of thinning the field. A7 is just as likely to come along & 33 etc. If Big PP I think u play it fine but AK doesnt play well post flop. I would check/fold flop if u hit u generally get paid. Keep the losing with this hand to the minimum. Late on in tourney go as looney as u like with this, I think your play here then would be ok, except possibly the call of the shove on the end.
    Posted by Ploppy33
    i fully agree ploppy, but after the raise i had 500 odd left....it was a crying call, but for a big pot it was all or nothing...i think the mistake came before my call on the flop...i thought this was a standard 3 bet with the idea of taking it down on the flop but wasnt to be

surely the way i played the hand would be successful more often than not?? i'm not sure and thats why i'm asking for advice
  • edited June 2011
    Your play isn't really profitable with that stack and in that position, you can't raise & cbet for like 3/4 of your stack, shove it in pre or just flat pre, i'd just shove, you're more likely to get called by a worse hand, and if not you'll be flipping which will be a + play with the money already in the pot
  • edited June 2011
    surely shove pre is too much this early??? maybe a flat call and give up on the flop would have been best,  I dont know! It's hands like this that cost me a lot though so maybe I will shove pre in future.....takes the ball ache away lol
    Posted by waller02
    Seems to me u had intentions of going all in anyway, u leave urself 590.00 behind so ur pot committed and just shove anyway, even though u miss flop.

Id, make a smaller c-bet on flop and fold to the raise
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: help with this hand because i played it badly! : i fully agree ploppy, but after the raise i had 500 odd left....it was a crying call, but for a big pot it was all or nothing...i think the mistake came before my call on the flop...i thought this was a standard 3 bet with the idea of taking it down on the flop but wasnt to be surely the way i played the hand would be successful more often than not?? i'm not sure and thats why i'm asking for advice
    Posted by waller02
    I think the problem here is that u are going to commit yourself to this hand post flop regardless of the card seen. If this is the case then surely the shove pre is better?

If u dont 3-bet pre then the pot wont be so big that any c-bet u make is pot commiting - in my view you are outmanouvering yourself by the 3-bet.

If u had a big PP then I like the 3-bet as the extra 450 odd chips from the loose callers is most welcome & you are quite prepared to fully commit to the hand. If u get outflopped so be it just unlucky, but my point is : do u want to do this on what is essentially Ace high?
  • edited June 2011
    yeah fair points, i knew my play wasnt great, so, essentially i should flat pre and give up if i miss, or shove? is that the general view?
  • edited June 2011
    OOP, committed 25% of your stack pre and then 75% on the flop why not just shove pre? you add about 20% onto your stack if you take it down pre anyway, and with your stack people will deffo be calling with worse hands. Your raise pre make the pot 900 anyway so what other moves do you have after the flop if you miss? Shove it in pre imo :) 
  • edited June 2011
    The 3bet pre was too big IMO.  300 would have done the same job and it would give you more wiggle room to c-bet/fold the flop if you chose to.  As played if you want to rep huge on the flop it's a shove, no point committing a portion of your stack when you're just committing yourself.