You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

flush and straight draws after the flop

if after the flop 2 clubs come down and you have 2 club hole cards, and the same question with the up and down straight draw - no pairs on either hand. Any advice on tactics. I dont want every eventuality cos it would take too long. Im only interested because sometimes i push all in hoping for the hit, other times im calling but if i miss on the turn the odds go from something like 3/1 to 6/1. Who thinks its worth going for it and who thinks its ok limp calling and who would call an all in hoping for the hit

Comments

• edited October 2009
    This is not a question about flops, it's a question about stack size. With 50 big blinds shoving is madness, with 3 it is mandatory if you're first to act.

As always, the problem is when you have something in between. With 7-10 big blinds - it all depends on whether you've got the ignorant end of the straight or not e.g shove with KQ on a JT2 flop, check and fold/call (a min bet) with 89 on a JT2 flop.

• edited October 2009

Quick reply, read a poker book recently that states only chase flushes/straights if there are 3 or more players in the pot. Any less and you are not getting the right odds on your money.
    Obviously chip stacks and bet sizes can alter this but as a rule of thumb, its not far out.

And yes, believe it or not, I have read a book!

• edited October 2009
    position is key again and depends on your action,

if you are in position and everyone it gets checked to you then chuck out a 3/4 pot size bet, you will take down alot of pots right here, and if you get called then you have a chance of hitting plus you get to see what the other player does on the turn as your in position.

if i dont have odds to call then i simply fold and wait for a better chance or sometimes depending on the who the raiser is i like to re-raise but this isnt very advisable on .02/.04 tables.

obviously if it is in a tourney then you have to take alot more into account like stack size blind size as well as how fast the blinds are rising.

above all if you are going to play them you might as well play them aggressively this gives you the best chance of winning either through getting people to fold or through hitting your draw,
  • edited October 2009
    If there are not many people in the pot raise it up so you eitehr take it down there and then or create your own odds.
  • edited October 2009
    Out of postion if im against a passive player try to check raise on strong draws maybe only a min riase.If you miss on the turn, u can check and your opponent may check behind giving you a free river card. Then you have paid for 2 cards with one bet,

If your facing a aggressive opponent they may reraise you first bet or bet the turn cards aswel. It depend on your opponent and stack size. This works well for cash games when players have deep stacks.