You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Got a load of abuse for the way I played the hand! Imo he played it bad and I discuised my hand well

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I got called a few expletives for this!

He was saying why was I betting with no hand and I got lucky on river!

I tried explaining that people who only bet with made hands become too predictable.

From what I see he limp calls with aj!

Then hits tptk on flop and does nothing to protect the hand.

What do you pros make of the hand? because I think I played it ok.

Hand History #386391826 (22:03 27/06/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
donkeyplop Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £20.76
jamie2008 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £27.25
  Your hole cards
  • A

baz___1 Fold        
xxx
Call   £0.20 £0.50 £34.37
Wakey_S Fold        
hardman07 Fold        
donkeyplop Raise   £0.70 £1.20 £20.06
jamie2008 Fold        
xxx
Call   £0.60 £1.80 £33.77
Flop

• J

donkeyplop Bet   £1.35 £3.15 £18.71
xxx
Call   £1.35 £4.50 £32.42
Turn

donkeyplop Bet   £2.25 £6.75 £16.46
xxx
Call   £2.25 £9.00 £30.17
River

• K

donkeyplop Bet   £6.75 £15.75 £9.71
xxx
Call   £6.75 £22.50 £23.42
donkeyplop Show
  • A

xxx
Muck
  • J
  • A

donkeyplop Win Flush to the Ace £21.37   £31.08

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I'm not sure how much I like the pre-flop raise...
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Got a load of abuse for the way I played the hand! Imo he played it bad and I discuised my hand well. Opinions please...........:
    I'm not sure how much I like the pre-flop raise...
    Posted by CLIOKID
    I prefer it to limpcalling with AJ.
  • edited June 2011
    reads from before the hand would be nice

preflop marginal

flop looks ok

If Im betting turn I bet bigger, I wouldnt always bet but I think its fine here

As regards villains play I hate the limpcall pre, whether he should raise flop depends a lot on how you play but I like his flop flat without aggro history between you, he can prob fold river sometimes depending how aggro you are

Edit: the reason your hand is disguised is its a backdoor flush, not really because of how you played it
  • edited June 2011
    He definitely played it worse than you.

You just maybe was a bit too aggressive but that is better than being a passive statio like the other guy, also agree Turn bet should be at least £3 for me.

I probably also go for a little more on river too about £8 after being called twice but if turn bet is bigger could be just a shove.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Got a load of abuse for the way I played the hand! Imo he played it bad and I discuised my hand well. Opinions please...........:
    He definitely played it worse than you. You just maybe was a bit too aggressive but that is better than being a passive statio like the other guy, also agree Turn bet should be at least £3 for me. I probably also go for a little more on river too about £8 after being called twice but if turn bet is bigger could be just a shove.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    villains line pre obviously sucks, but I think you can certainly justify his line postflop (depending on reads). Sometimes calling is the best option. He had no real reason to abuse op obv
  • edited June 2011
    If I flopped TPTK on that board I'd want to protect it and espeically on turn as it gets even wetter.
  • edited June 2011

Im not saying raising flop is bad, and yeah there are lots of bad turn cards for AJ

There are players though, a significant amount of decent ones, who I would not be happy getting AJ in against on that flop, and who would be capable of 3betting flop with draws. Many of the same players might fold KJ etc to a raise. In that case I dont like raising.

I also dont think the 7c is a card that should make villain want to raise for value

• edited June 2011

I would check the turn and know i'm calling any bet or i would be betting £4 to pressure his own hand. I would also bet £2 + on flop.
    Summary: Apart from bet sizing on flop river and maybe turn lol well played and he should of raised flop and turn but there you go

• edited June 2011
    i prefer limping pre especially if you think he has a hand that dominates you like AJ,

as played betting out is fine on flop, c/c turn as you dont wanna inflate the pot with 1 card to hit the nuts

overbet river £8-£10 as played

im not a fan of villains play either fwiw, not terribad though but obviously he is a station so dont 3 barrell in future unless you have a hand(which luckily you do on the river)
  • edited June 2011
    I think betting turn is much better than c/c unless you have a read villain is likely to check behind

As for villains play, he prob is a station. But is everyone autoraising AJ on flop or turn on this board? If I flatted pre ip (ignore the limpcall cause that obv sucks) against a competent reg, my standard would be to flat flop and turn. I usually fold river on that board, but I call against some villains. This is a passive line, yes, but I dont really like raising at any point. I seem to be ina minority of 1 on this, so if someone can explain why I should raise I would be interested
  • edited June 2011
    The only reason I would personally raise is due to what I would do at 4NL maybe at 20NL the standard is much better with all clever fancy check's and deception etc but down in the dumps you flop big you bet big simplez lol
  • edited June 2011
    no I dont think the standard is that good but hero posts here so hes prob not lolbad. Against fish you can obv raise and keep betting TPTK on this board

I wouldnt be flatcalling for deception, or to slowplay , more that Im not sure there is value in raising against good players
  • edited June 2011
    think it's played fine / pre is v.marginal though, making up is probz best option
  • edited June 2011
    His limp call with ace jack is so bad, i quite like the pre flop raise, it makes your hand look better than it is with the 3.5x and you got a bit  lucky in the end, i think he should of raised at most points in the hand, if he raises your turn bet do you call?
    but in the end NH
  • edited June 2011
    Dont mind it. You stuck with the story from pre flop all the way thru. You played it strong. and ok you got a little lucky in the end to hit the flush but all in all i quite like it. The pre flop raise from the small blind probably had villain a little unsure about what you held and could have been the reason he never came over the top.
  • edited June 2011
    think it's played fine / pre is v.marginal though, making up is probz best option
    Posted by percival09
    Thing is I never limp in, I always raise so I was keeping consistant I guess.

• edited June 2011
    The main reason he got so mad was that I bet the flop and turn with air!!??

The way I see it if the turn didn't bring me the nut flush draw I was checking, but I thought if I bet again he may fold and if I hit the club on river i could fire again.

The way he had been playing I didnt think he had much so only bet 3/4 pot in the end.