You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is it right to try to make your hand here??

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
danny101 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.42
424POKER42 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
  Your hole cards
  • Q

sortofblue Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £1.25
Patching99 Call  £0.08 £0.22 £5.41
jasp3315 Call  £0.08 £0.30 £1.72
penningt05 Fold     
danny101 Call  £0.06 £0.36 £1.36
424POKER42 Call  £0.04 £0.40 £3.92
Flop

• J
  • A

danny101 Check     
424POKER42 Check     
sortofblue Check     
Patching99 Check     
jasp3315 Bet  £0.20 £0.60 £1.52
danny101 Call  £0.20 £0.80 £1.16
424POKER42 Fold     
sortofblue Fold     
Patching99 Fold     
Turn

danny101 Check     
jasp3315 Bet  £0.40 £1.20 £1.12
danny101 Call  £0.40 £1.60 £0.76
River

danny101 Check     
jasp3315 All-in  £1.12 £2.72 £0.00
danny101 Fold     
jasp3315 Muck     
jasp3315 Win  £1.48  £1.48
jasp3315 Return  £1.12 £0.12 £2.60

Comments

• edited June 2011
    definitely fold flop, you have nowhere near the implied odds to chase and theres also a chance you could be raised

fold turn, same thing you dont have the odds
  • edited June 2011
    fold pre, as played fold flop
  • edited June 2011
    fold pre to avoid spots like this.

but since u called pre and flopped a double gutter (both to the nuts) and back door 2nd nut fd, and ur getting 3:1 immediate price i cant see why people are saying this is a fold on the flop. granted it does suck that ur relative position the the flop bettor is 1st and therefore u must act upon this bet before any1 else at the table (increasing the risk of being raised) but this is not a big enough factor to make calling a losing play.

gotta fold turn tho by the time u put this .40 in theres next to no money behind to win and ur immeditae price combined with that can not allow you to make money from calling.
  • edited June 2011
    Snap fold pre.
  • edited June 2011
    I dont think pre is a snapfold getting 5/1 with BB likely to come along

I thought you only had a gutshot, with a double gutter you can prob justify calling flop. Fold turn though
  • edited June 2011
    i think pre is fine
    don't really like flop, i'd raise and try get it in
    not profitable to chase draws with 30BB
  • edited June 2011

Fold on the flop, poor implied odds, when you play these hands you need to make sure the odds are with you, otherwise could cost you alot of money in the long run.
  • edited June 2011

i also missed the fact that you had a double gutter in which case the call on the flop is ok but def give up on the turn

i would still fold pre though as there are a lot of flops that could lead to trouble, say the flop is Q high, you could easily be dominated....folding pre saves yourself from awkward decisions imo

• edited June 2011
    Still confused to how he can chase a draw with 30BB?
    surely raising with the intention of getting it in is the best option if he's going to play the hand with that stack? 
  • edited June 2011

He has basically no fe at 4nl shallow multiway on this board, so getting it in is meh imo. He only needs to win about 2/3 pot more when he binks turn to justify calling flop which should be possible

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: is it right to try to make your hand here??:
    Snap fold pre.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    You should have this on your headstone!! ;)

• edited June 2011
    Sit with full buy in.  Just fold pre, fold flop, fold turn.  Good fold on river :)

Some of your outs our probably dirty five way.
  • edited June 2011
    Sit with full buy in.  Just fold pre, fold flop, fold turn.  Good fold on river :) Some of your outs our probably dirty five way.
    Posted by Patching99
    Be nice if you actually said why, it isn't going to help him by you saying that is it lol! 
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: is it right to try to make your hand here?? : You should have this on your headstone!! ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    It's pretty much all I do at this level so most spots it's the answer. :)
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: is it right to try to make your hand here?? : Be nice if you actually said why, it isn't going to help him by you saying that is it lol! 
    Posted by percival09
    Thats a fair point I guess but not very good with explanations.

Sit with a full buy in - You want to sit with the maximum possible so when you get a good starting hand or hit a flop you can win the maximum.

Fold Pre - IMO the way to beat this level and I have done it and still win here time and time again is to have a tight starting hand selection compared to everyone else.  Everyone loves to see flops as cheap as they can with any two.  Therefore by have a tighter preflop range you will save pennies like in the above hand but when you do hit you will be more likely to be ahead.  When you think you are ahead just bet and bet, don't worry about folding out hands, if they have one they will pay you and if they dont you werent getting anything anyway so don't try and be clever.  95% are not watching what you are doing so playing tight won't mean you won't get action.

Fold Flop - Obviously we wouldn't be in this situation, but 5 handed drawing on a flushing board is not ideal.  The more people that see the flop means its more likely that at least one has a flush draw .  This means that the K clubs and 8 Clubs or whatever you needed to hit may trump your straight.  By all means bet your draws but I wouldn't recommend chasing this one.

Fold Turn - As above.

Cheers Percival, look what you made me do.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: is it right to try to make your hand here?? : Thats a fair point I guess but not very good with explanations. Sit with a full buy in - You want to sit with the maximum possible so when you get a good starting hand or hit a flop you can win the maximum. Fold Pre - IMO the way to beat this level and I have done it and still win here time and time again is to have a tight starting hand selection compared to everyone else.  Everyone loves to see flops as cheap as they can with any two.  Therefore by have a tighter preflop range you will save pennies like in the above hand but when you do hit you will be more likely to be ahead.  When you think you are ahead just bet and bet, don't worry about folding out hands, if they have one they will pay you and if they dont you werent getting anything anyway so don't try and be clever.  95% are not watching what you are doing so playing tight won't mean you won't get action. Fold Flop - Obviously we wouldn't be in this situation, but 5 handed drawing on a flushing board is not ideal.  The more people that see the flop means its more likely that at least one has a flush draw .  This means that the K clubs and 8 Clubs or whatever you needed to hit may trump your straight.  By all means bet your draws but I wouldn't recommend chasing this one. Fold Turn - As above. Cheers Percival, look what you made me do.
    Posted by Patching99
    LOL! very in-depth, nice. 

• edited June 2011
    even this shallow in SB I dont see how we can fold pre getting 5/1 against fish who will pay us off if we flop big. Also the Kc gives us the nfd and the 8c the 2nd nfd, I still think we can call flop even counting  6 outs (unless my math is fcuked up again)
  • edited July 2011
    Only read OP.  Dont mind a peel on flop, maybe to take away on turn.  But auto muck turn as played.
  • edited July 2011
    Only read OP.  Dont mind a peel on flop, maybe to take away on turn.  But auto muck turn as played.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Worse advice ever IMO, do not bluff NL4!  No wonder you suck online. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Cant say I play nl4 tbh, peel to pick up or improve.  Was trying to be positive :p
  • edited July 2011
    even this shallow in SB I dont see how we can fold pre getting 5/1 against fish who will pay us off if we flop big. Also the Kc gives us the nfd and the 8c the 2nd nfd, I still think we can call flop even counting  6 outs (unless my math is fcuked up again)
    Posted by grantorino
    It's 45-1 to flop two pair, not sure on trips but it's more than 5-1, anything else is just one pair when you could be dominated and can never fully commit with TP.