You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tricky spot in TSP Classic

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Right then going pretty well in TSP Classic tonight. At this stage there was probably between 70/80 players left and top 20 are paid. I have stack just shy of 60bb so i'm doing well in the top 20 or so.

I had recently joined table and havent played against button before because had no notes.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
splashies Small blind  40.00 40.00 4715.00
Aski Big blind  80.00 120.00 935.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

mappokid Fold     
PORKO All-in  940.00 1060.00 0.00
wightprawn Fold     
NIHIGHGUN Call  940.00 2000.00 11383.25
splashies Call  900.00 2900.00 3815.00
Aski Fold     
Flop

• K

splashies Check     
NIHIGHGUN Bet  560.00 3460.00 10823.25
splashies Fold     
NIHIGHGUN Unmatched bet  560.00 2900.00 11383.25
So we get a shove from a shorty, great, i'm ready to hit the call button. Then the big stack on the button flat calls. I was 50/50 whether to shove or flat call but i decided to flat call.

I was very suspicious of the flat call from button and wasn't comfortable in shoving here as i doubt i can get a worse hand to call(well maybe AK but it's still a flip), and i cant get a better hand to fold.

Not a great flop so i c/f and get outta there.

What are people's thoughts? Is flat calling pre bad here? Should i have considered folding pre? or shoving?

Comments

• edited June 2011

If anyone read my terrible initial post, plz totally ignore my idea of raise/folding! LOOOOOL I misread the stacksizes bigtime.

I'm shoving this!!
  • edited July 2011
    im folding pre here its a race at best in my eyes and i don't see the need for it if your sitting pretty in tournament.
    A shove isn't a bad option pre but the flat call by him looks like he wants that so i could credit him wih aces kings or AK.
    I don't know the player either so would be readless but 80% of time i would fold pre
  • edited July 2011
    Im either shoving pre or fold, or shove any flop here splash

1 overcard we can still be good here, i'd call porko shove here but after flatted by nhighgun i probably fold here
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Tricky spot in TSP Classic:
    Im either shoving pre or fold, or shove any flop here splash 1 overcard we can still be good here, i'd call porko shove here but after flatted by nhighgun i probably fold here
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    say here more often imo
  • edited July 2011
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks all so far....

Do you think calling preflop was the worst of the 3 options?
  • edited July 2011
    if you intend to fold flop then yes, if it came AKQ fair enough but 1 overcard could be standard c bet or strength but i think with stacksizes involved it is probably best to shove or fod

Fold<Shove<Call  in order of best imo
  • edited July 2011
    I think shoving is the worst option on the flop.

Call or fold depending on the player. 

I'll have notes on this guy I'm pretty sure but without my yellow box I've got no idea what they are.

Id put him on something like 66-JJ and ATs-AQs / AJ/AQ/KQ pre...

I don't like folding, I'd call. 

The only hands I'm really worried about on this flop are TT and KQs.....

Just call.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks all so far.... Do you think calling preflop was the worst of the 3 options?
    Posted by splashies
    Calling stinks. You've stuck 20% of your chips in  the pot with  no idea of where you are.With your stack size shove it pre or fold. I suspect a midpair,strongish A. AK/QQ would've reraised pre I think. If he's got AA/KK he's disguised it well pre flop.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Tricky spot in TSP Classic : Calling stinks. You've stuck 20% of your chips in  the pot with  no idea of where you are.With your stack size shove it pre or fold. I suspect a midpair,strongish A. AK/QQ would've reraised pre I think. If he's got AA/KK he's disguised it well pre flop.
    Posted by Mohican
    Thanks! I agree!

It does look a much more simple decision when its posted, as opposed to when i was playing it at the time.

• edited July 2011
    Shove pre and pick up his call, lovely
  • edited July 2011
    Perfect spot to squeeze/shove IMO, if you can make it a HU pot against the shortie it's a big +ev spot with the dead chips in the pot, JJ should be ahead of his range. I think the button would raise to isolate with QQ, KK, AK, if he's being crafty with AA then gg.

Otherwise fold pre, flatting was defo a bad idea.