You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold AK? Am I going mad?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
My final hand in tonight's £300 gtd Velocity.

I'm very much the short-stack up against 3 villains with more than twice my stack. Blinds 2000/4000 at final table bubble. Cash paid for top 5. Folded to me in the SB. Chip leader in the BB.

The question is - Is this an insta-shove or, given the state of the tourney, is there a case for folding AK here? Surely not??

Apropos nothing - I had AK 6 times tonight and it went down every time - busted out of one tourney when it went down twice in two hands!!!

Hand History #387723922 (00:18 02/07/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceProp60Small blind 2000.002000.0016030.00artifice7Big blind 4000.006000.0071317.50 Your hole cardsAK   BaldSwanFold    bigmint123Fold    Prop60All-in 16030.0022030.000.00artifice7Call 14030.0036060.0057287.50Prop60ShowAK   artifice7ShowJ10   Flop  510Q   Turn  4   River  6   artifice7WinPair of 10s36060.00 93347.50

Comments

• edited July 2011
    played perfect.
  • edited July 2011
    you are praying for AK and even worse in that spot, especially with the rest being big stacks because the are all waiting for you to P*** off. chuck it in all the way.
  • edited July 2011
    Bad beat yaaaawwnn.

Also I know he's not massive fave pre but he still gets a nice sucking to lose.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Fold AK? Am I going mad?:
    Bad beat yaaaawwnn. Also I know he's not massive fave pre but he still gets a nice sucking to lose.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    He NEVER asked if villain played it bad did he now? so no bad beat yawn on this occasion please dudey eh?

As for OP yes mate you played the hand perfectly and just got ul,gl next time xx
  • edited July 2011
    don't understand what your asking?
    is AK a good spot with 4BB? 
    it's the best spot you're ever ever going to get

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Fold AK? Am I going mad? : He NEVER asked if villain played it bad did he now? so no bad beat yawn on this occasion please dudey eh? As for OP yes mate you played the hand perfectly and just got ul,gl next time xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    A badbeat is when you get your money in ahead and lose, what does it have to do with how the villain plays lol ?

Also reason for bad beat yawwwnn is just that mainly it's a very standard play and he knows he played it perfectly well but for some reason wants to make an excuse for folding pre lolz.

Yes I could put this :

As for OP yes mate you played the hand perfectly and just got ul,gl next time xx

But I'm not that nice lol plus it takes longer to type. ;)
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Fold AK? Am I going mad? : A badbeat is when you get your money in ahead and lose, what does it have to do with how the villain plays lol ? Also reason for bad beat yawwwnn is just that mainly it's a very standard play and he knows he played it perfectly well but for some reason wants to make an excuse for folding pre lolz. Yes I could put this : As for OP yes mate you played the hand perfectly and just got ul,gl next time xx But I'm not that nice lol plus it takes longer to type. ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    No it's not.
    so you're saying losing with pocket 9s against AK is a bad beat? 
  • edited July 2011
    Well 55% so long term your meant to win, not massive bad beat but your still ahead, here it's 58%.

So what's the rules then, have to more than 70/80% ?
  • edited July 2011
    don't understand what your asking? is AK a good spot with 4BB?  it's the best spot you're ever ever going to get
    Posted by percival09
    i like this post
  • edited July 2011
    Yes, you are going mad.

As long as you're dealt 2 cards and not just 1, you've got the nuts here.

The bigger issue though is how did it come to this? Have you been folding all the way down to 4xbb?

--------------

As for the BB debate (lol), I reckon if you just add 'significantly' into DS's quote...

A badbeat is when you get your money in "significantly" ahead and lose

...Then it's pretty much spot on! ;)

Think people under-estimate "equity" in hands, 35/40% equity is significant, people are afraid to get it in with "bad hands" and this leads to situations like in the OP where we have 4xbb.

I dunno how to work it out exactly, but if you shove a spot where you have some fold equity, + equity in the hand whern called, then you're on to a winner. 

Just shove it in alot earlier, if you're called, you can still win.

Seen some winning players on here (according to skope) fold right down to 4/5/6/7/8 bb's reguarly, I honestly have no idea how they win......Can anyone enlighten me?

• edited July 2011
    Yes, you are going mad. As long as you're dealt 2 cards and not just 1, you've got the nuts here. The bigger issue though is how did it come to this? Have you been folding all the way down to 4xbb? -------------- As for the BB debate (lol), I reckon if you just add 'significantly' into DS's quote...   A badbeat is when you get your money in "significantly" ahead and lose ...Then it's pretty much spot on! ;) Think people under-estimate "equity" in hands, 35/40% equity is significant, people are afraid to get it in with "bad hands" and this leads to situations like in the OP where we have 4xbb. I dunno how to work it out exactly, but if you shove a spot where you have some fold equity, + equity in the hand whern called, then you're on to a winner.  Just shove it in alot earlier, if you're called, you can still win. Seen some winning players on here (according to skope) fold right down to 4/5/6/7/8 bb's reguarly, I honestly have no idea how they win......Can anyone enlighten me?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sky's tourneys have no antes, so this is partly the reason.

Also, anyone folding AK here because they are scared of not cashing should not be playing mtts.

• edited July 2011
    Try not let youself get this low. AK is the nutz in this situation