You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Barrelling turns??? when?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Gonna post a hand at the end of this, but don't want to focus too much on the specific example....

How do you decide when is a good time to barrell down the streets?

Is it different in tournys to cash, coz cash u can insta reload, a wrong decision to bluff/semi bluff multiple streets in tournys can damage your chances bigtime....

Obv in cash I can barrell if I can represent the turn card well, so for example a board of 7 7 2 A.....I'd bet flop and turn all the time pretty much...

But I'm not sure in the following example...

I've no reads, but I'd have to assume he calls flop with all pocket pairs, flush draws, straight draws, as well as obv 7's, 5's and maybe Apic.....

If you check/fold this turn, what turns would you continue on?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Heavy22 Small blind  15.00 15.00 2995.00
JOHNIE71 Big blind  30.00 45.00 2805.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

reza Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  120.00 165.00 1775.00
chris85 Call  120.00 285.00 1505.00
Heavy22 Fold     
JOHNIE71 Fold     
Flop

DOHHHHHHH Bet  195.00 480.00 1580.00
chris85 Call  195.00 675.00 1310.00
Turn

DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited July 2011

This depends on so many things, especially on the villain

I doubt many people fold this flop ever , if I cbet  (which I nearly always would oop) I barrell nearly every turn (not the ones pair the board).

Tourneys are maybe better to do it in, people dont like calling a second barrell with 33 when they no they could well be put in on the river

• edited July 2011
    Only between 10.00pm and 11.30pm Mondays and Wednesdays
  • edited July 2011
    A) when your in position
    B) if you know the villain can fold to a bet

All is villain dependant on how many barrells you should be doing, mix up sometimes check turn and bet river, sometimes get barrelling
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Barrelling turns??? when?:
    A) when your in position B) if you know the villain can fold to a bet All is villain dependant on how many barrells you should be doing, mix up sometimes check turn and bet river, sometimes get barrelling
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I was thinking more in terms of board texture, and specific cards I should be betting....
  • edited July 2011
    I don't think you're really deep enough to barrel again here asuming you snap fold to a shove.

Also I pretty much never barrel twice as it just bleeds chips a lot of the time and for that one time it works most of the time it fails imo, if I was going to though I would like a high card on turn J/Q/K/A to represent. 6 here is obvz not in your range.
  • edited July 2011
    6 is not a good barrell card, but Im not sure firing once and giving up on these flops is great, It depends on villain obv, but we get floated a lot. Barrelling twice needs to be part of your play against decent players
  • edited July 2011
    I'm not properly schooled to judge this in tournaments but what I do know is that even cbetting this flop in cash is very very easy (against good players) to exploit for one simple reason, most of the time the preflop raiser will not lead trips on the flop or he will find himself reraised quite often and very possibly with air. I would much rather see a check raise here especially 4 handed since your range has more 5's and 7's or any other pair for that matter.
  • edited July 2011
    I think on that board you should be betting the turn unless you have reads he is a loose player.
     About 360 to 450 as it puts his stack under the half way limit if he calls shut down if he raises fold but i think the majority of the time he is folding here with two overs as he may of been floating flop
  • edited July 2011
    In the specific example, I wouldn't even c-bet. I'd check/fold the flop. AK is only ace high: If he takes the pot off you with AT or KJ, then good luck to him.
    If he checks the flop back, I'd probably fire a bet out on the turn then fold to a raise.

If he calls the turn we have the double-barrelling issue - whether to fire out again on the river. Then it all comes down to texture. If no diamond, ace or king hits, then I'd fire out. If a diamond comes it's check/fold, an ace or king is check/call.
  • edited July 2011
    massively villain dependant - not sure you can have a default action