You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EXCITMENT BUILDING

Look i know its still over a month till the start of the season (i know its shorter than that in scotland) preseasons just starting.
thought id start a thread for people to relate there feelings for the start of the season

We started back today with 8 players at preseason. kanu has a doctors apiontment in nigeria (i know you couldntmakeit up)
so doesnt start till next week so were up to 9.
2 joining this week Varney and a henderson so we just need to borrow anouther 7 and were off

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Gotta say I'm really looking forward to the season. I actually feel optimistic for the first time in 3 years :)

Still a fair few comings & goings to happen yet & tbh there's only 3 players I'd really want to stay (Rob Green, Super Scotty Parker & Jack Collison) but ultimately I only think we're only likely to keep Collison. 

Really not disappointed in the slightest about losing out on Craig Makail Smith today either. Personally I think he's over priced at over £3m. He's 28 now & so far he's only proven himself at league 1 level. If we're gonna be spending that sort of money I think we can get someone who's proven at this level. 

It's gonna be a tough season but I honestly think we're good enough to get straight back (doing it as champions would be nice). Leicester will be there or thereabouts too & I think Brighton could be the surprise package this year.
  • edited July 2011

we had first preseason game last night and begining to feel slightly less pessimistic. the squads looking a bit healthier we now have 2 keepers a decent looking defence with halford signing permenantly being imo a really good bit of business. Ben hiams sorted his pay dispute out and is back avaliable,the herminator has resigned for anouther year and with pearce coming in from bournemouth i think we will be hard to beat again this season in midfield we have players like lawrence,mullins,joel ward,norris and varney (whos apparntly going to playwide left) who are all capable at this level. scoring is again where i think we will struggle unfortunatly kitson is imo coming to the end of the line and with king kanu being our only other attacking option we really need to strengthed if were going to get anwhere near the play offs.
    we cant start any worse than the last 2 years where we have given the rest of the league an eight game start, hopefully we can start reasonably and then cotts can bring in a couple on loan to give us a bit more of a goal threat.

• edited July 2011

Hard to get excited as a Donny fan at the mo, think we've gone as far as we can go, and after three seasons at league 1 we've had the excitement and optimism of it all being new, followed by the achievement of finishing comfortably mid table in season 2, with an outside shot at the playoffs throughout most of the season, to last season starting well then dropping like a lead balloon into a relegation scare.....

.....unfortunately I think that's going to be the norm for us from now on, season in season out knowing the best we can possibly do is finish mid table, it's abit of a come down from the last 10 years as a Donny fan which has seen three promotions, including 2 play off final wins, a move to a new 15k all seater stadium, and an LDV vans trophy win at Cardiff........

That's been reflected in season tickets so far being 1.4k down on last season, which is ALOT for us.

Tbf the chairman is trying everything, last year he allowed free admission for everyone in our biggest game of the season a massive 6 pointer against Palace, he's sat in the stands with the fans, he's tried everything to keep hold of our manager, successfully, and has also turned down massive money (for us) for Billy Sharp and James Coppinger......

I think his patience will run out soon though, as the fans aren't getting behind the club like they used to.

We need a good start to the season to get some optimism back and the fans back behind the team, but our fixture list is a nightmare in the first 8 games, and I fear the worst...

Think we'll stay up, but it's not going to be a fun season :(
  • edited July 2011

Played chelsea on saturday i know you can never take much from frendlies but we only lost to an o.g. 1-0.
    unfortunatly this seems to kinda back up my previous feelings that we will be hard to beat but struggle to score

• edited July 2011
    FINISHED OUR US TOUR WITH A 0-0 SO GOALS STILL SEEM A PROBLEM. FINAL PRESEASON GAME CANCELLED AS THE PLANE BRING TEAM BACK FRON USA GOT HIT BY A TRUCK AT THE AIRPORT SO WE DIDNT GET BACK IN TIME.
    MY MATE SAW LINVOY PRIMUS AT THE GROUND WHO NOW WORKS FOR THE CLUB AS AN AMBASADOR AND IN HELPING NEW SIGNINGS FIND PLACES TO LIVE ECT. HE SAID THAT THERE WILL BE THREE NEW PLAYERS ARRIVING THIS WEEK BUT WOULDNT SAY WHO.