You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

when to quit?

edited April 2016 in Poker Chat
i am not sure if anyone can answer this but here goes. i had a very good run on the cash tables on fri night and at one point was up ten times my initial stake money, i was playing reasonably well, i knew i wasnt invincible but kept on playing to see if i could in more, greed i suppose, i ended up loosing a few hands won a few back , then went on a downward spiral, the question is at what point should i have come off? i was playing catch up for a few hours , but lost heavily, i am dissapointed in myself for not having the will power or disipline to have stopped when i was so much ahead, any advice will be well received , thank you

Comments

• edited July 2011
    You have to be able to spot if you're being outplayed by any new players at your table or if you're starting to play badly yourself.

If any of these two things are happening then it's probably best to quit for a while.

• edited July 2011
    stop if theres no more easy money on the table and find a new one imo

if you think you have a big edge stay seated as long as your still playing your A game, if you think you should stand just do it as i have in past cos you end up losing from that point. so minute you think oh should i stand just stand is another , although try stay if fishies are still playing
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to when to quit?:
    i am not sure if anyone can answer this but here goes. i had a very good run on the cash tables on fri night and at one point was up ten times my initial stake money, i was playing reasonably well, i knew i wasnt invincible but kept on playing to see if i could in more, greed i suppose, i ended up loosing a few hands won a few back , then went on a downward spiral, the question is at what point should i have come off? i was playing catch up for a few hours , but lost heavily, i am dissapointed in myself for not having the will power or disipline to have stopped when i was so much ahead, any advice will be well received , thank you  
    Posted by lucy111
    this is a metaphor for life />
    we all lose everything in the end />
    you are wise for noting such things />
  • edited July 2011
    this question can also be used at the other end of the spectrum. when to come off when your getting beat? would you what until you lost 10 bis before comming off??? like yg says if you find you have no edge or chasing, forcing hands or generally tilting get off.!!!+ 3 bis a night for a week is a good week!!
  • edited July 2011
    ive been in this position before and to be honest if your 10x up would carry on if im hitting but as soon as it starts to go a bit south get out. I find this quite often playing cash and unfortunately luck only lasts a certain time and varience with catch up with you. Find your self a cut off point and stick to it. generally i have started to do 4or5x max then split. better to go away with a profit then lose everything as thats what your aiming to do every time. It can take hours to build a stack of that size but as i have learned from bad expierience you can lose it all with in a couple of hands.
  • edited July 2011
    I generally leave tables I'm sure I can beat when I'm up 1,000 buy ins or more.
  • edited July 2011
    Pokers a lifetime game, I like dooubling up and then finding an even better table if there is one available. For as long as your playing your A-Game just keep playing. Try and keep thoughts of preserving winnings or clawing back losses out of your game and just play. 
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: when to quit?:
    I generally leave tables I'm sure I can beat when I'm up 1,000 buy ins or more.
    Posted by DannyMcs
    pmsl me too ;)
  • edited July 2011
    thanks for the advice everybody, i looked back at a couple of hands  i lost with , a couple of all ins on which i got beaten on the river , the hardest thing i have found in poker is not playing heads up with phil ivey it is having the discipline to click the stand button on a table
  • edited July 2011
    Well youve had gd advice here lucy,me myself would only lose a max of 3 buy-ins at any one table b4 standing as for when im winning then it really does depend on the set up of the table,dead money,fishes new players etc xx
  • edited July 2011
    You played heads up with phil ivey???
  • edited July 2011
    You played heads up with phil ivey???
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    no but i played against you many times, lol, great fun , great member and thanks for your advice
  • edited July 2011
    Only read OP.

Chips are like germs, the more you have the quicker they increase, based upon the ability to call wider, probe more, pick up the soft spots and c=bet 3bet lighter.

Its much easier to seize control of a pot when your way up on BI, giving you more opportunity to pick up pots that you wouldnt if sat shallower.

Only issue is its a double edged sword.  You can go into spew mode, plus if you lose a significant pot the extra BI's sometimes get you to do some silly things to catch back up.

There is no easy answer.  A friend of mine in the past recommended playing for set periods of time, this way you and the clock set the zones, rather than the action at table.  But its so hard to walk away from a heater or soft money.

Its shocking how quickly the worm can turn though.
  • edited July 2011
     I tend to set limits so if your playing NL10 and get to £35 I say to myself if I drop below £30 i'll leave.

But if I win a nice pot and get to £47 lets say i then move it to £40.

I tend to find this helps as it gives me, but you need to find something that works for you
  • edited July 2011
     I tend to set limits so if your playing NL10 and get to £35 I say to myself if I drop below £30 i'll leave. But if I win a nice pot and get to £47 lets say i then move it to £40. I tend to find this helps as it gives me, but you need to find something that works for you
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    BTW ive always thought you have one of the best ' poker alias ' on this site ;) xx
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: when to quit? : BTW ive always thought you have one of the best ' poker alias ' on this site ;) xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    lol ty :-)
  • edited April 2016
    Knowing when to quit is very important, I mainly play MTTs so am not the best to answer this but I am sure some cash regs will assist.
  • edited April 2016
    Knowing when to quit is very important, I mainly play MTTs so am not the best to answer this but I am sure some cash regs will assist.
    Posted by MattBates

5yrs and thats the best answer you've got.....jeez!
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: when to quit? : 5yrs and thats the best answer you've got.....jeez!
    Posted by waller02

She does not need the advice now anyway. She is financially comfortable after a 56p upswing