You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Final Table - 3way + short stacked.

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,

This isn't a question about any particular hand, but more about a certain situation.

If you've been in a tourney and you get down to 3 on the final table and all 3 of you are around the 10-15BB mark, am I wrong to think at this stage there is a very large amount of luck involved?

People at this stage are in shove/fold mode and so often blinds just rotate round the table because when one person has a decent hand, usually no one else does. Then it comes inevitably comes down to someone shoving with say 5-5 and being called by KJ, then it's virtually 50/50.

Is there any ways or techniques I can try and introduce a bit more skill to the situation? To be honest, it might just be that I've made it down to the final 3 four times in the last day or two and I've came 3rd every time so I'm just a bit annoyed about it, I guess my luck just wasn't going my way. I'm making sure I do the shoving and not the calling and I think my shoving range is ok 3 handed.

Should I possibly sit back and try to get to HU then try to outplay him, although at that stage, there's probably just as much luck because we will both be so short stacked and with wide heads up ranges

Comments

• edited July 2011
    There will be a huge level of luck involved 15BB deep. Just keep an eye on what kind of ranges you think they are shoving /calling with. You say you always try be the one who is shoving which is good, but it sounds from what you are saying that maybe you should call a bit wider than you do
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Final Table - 3way + short stacked.:
    There will be a huge level of luck involved 15BB deep. Just keep an eye on what kind of ranges you think they are shoving /calling with. You say you always try be the one who is shoving which is good, but it sounds from what you are saying that maybe you should call a bit wider than you do
    Posted by grantorino
    I'm probably calling with pocket pairs 5s and up, most if not all Ace and KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, Q10, J10. Roughly something along them lines. You think that is too tight or about right?
  • edited July 2011
    I'm not going to be the bet person to comment on this, but that sounds plenty wide  unless you against very aggro players.  It was the just the way you said you try to make sure you are not doing the calling I thought your calling range might be too tight.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Final Table - 3way + short stacked.:
    In Response to Re: Final Table - 3way + short stacked. : I'm probably calling with pocket pairs 5s and up, most if not all Ace and KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, Q10, J10. Roughly something along them lines. You think that is too tight or about right?
    Posted by Lambert180
    ANY pp 3 way is a monster as is ANY A rag,the rest of ure range here is spot on.Obviously this shallow with 3 players really and truely just a lotto and is usually just a case of 'WHO DARES WINS' ;) xx
  • edited July 2011
    It is mostly luck in this situation, no doubt. But there are a few things you can do to tip the balance.
    Irrespective of what you have, just shove the first four or five hands. If you run into aces or kings, then big deal - you're not as far behind as you think you are!
    These will probably get through (because both the other guys will want to ladder up) at which point you have now got about 20 bigs to the others' 12 (assuming you all started with about 15). This is a massive difference and puts you in pole position to win it.

Hands like T7 are now good hands and worth coming over the top of a player. Punish any limpers mercilessly. Let them know that you will defend your big blind every single time.

And a run of big pairs won't do you any harm!
  • edited July 2011
    15bb's 3 handed, it should be jam or fold for most part.  Yes this is the luck part, the skill was getting there.

Your pretty much jamming any mid strength hand on button, or low to mid from un op SB at 15 bigs
  • edited July 2011

3 handed avg. 15bb per player you are basically flipping for the win im shoving tonnes of hands with 15bb in a tourney WITH antes any pocket pair, any ace, KT KJ KQ, QT QJ, TJ etc. in a tourney WITHOUT antes theres an excuse that you can tighten that range up abit knowing that you are only going to be losing 1.5bbs every 6-9 hands there you could probably shove 5s,6s+ A9 AT AJ AQ AK