You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

made a right mess of this one!!!

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
this hand has really bugged me i made a right mess of it i should not of got involved in the first place but did lol,so how would you of played it would you have shoved the river or just checked it like me and got out cheap,i just felt at the time my reraise on the turn would of probly represented top pair with strong kicker or two pair and felt he had either trips or striaight when he 3 bet me but called thinking id would get paid big if i hit the gut shot(oh so bad i know) opinoins please.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
pete_d Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £28.42
Wakey_S Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £36.98
  Your hole cards

andybeth Fold     
jimifloyd Fold     
gerrard9 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £53.30
jackwolf Call  £0.30 £1.05 £154.56
pete_d Call  £0.15 £1.20 £28.27
Wakey_S Check     
Flop

pete_d Check     
Wakey_S Check     
gerrard9 Bet  £1.20 £2.40 £52.10
jackwolf Call  £1.20 £3.60 £153.36
pete_d Fold     
Wakey_S Fold     
Turn

gerrard9 Bet  £2.70 £6.30 £49.40
jackwolf Raise  £7.20 £13.50 £146.16
gerrard9 Raise  £12.30 £25.80 £37.10
jackwolf Call  £7.80 £33.60 £138.36
River

gerrard9 Check     
jackwolf Check     
gerrard9 Show

jackwolf Muck

gerrard9 Win Three 5s £31.92  £69.02

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I would've just called the turn. The villain would probably have checked the river and you could just check it back as you've got good showdown value. You would have saved yourself 12 quid.
  • edited July 2011
    I'd fold or raise pre, raising would be good so you could iso the limper in position and gain control of the hand

flop is fine, raise would be ok aswell this deep

turn is a deffo flat call, it's almost like you're bluffing, i understand protecting your hand but there is no way you're getting called by a worse hand raising on that street, so now as played the pot is already way above what it should be, and at this point with villains 3-bet you have to know you're behind

that's why you could have repped the straight on the river, i know you hit 2-pair but it's quite evident that you're probably behind, checking back is probably ok but with it being quite a big pot and the aggressor checked it to you, clearly scared of the straight, i'd probably put a bet in there, turning my hand into a bluff rather than for value obv

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: made a right mess of this one!!!:
    I would've just called the turn. The villain would probably have checked the river and you could just check it back as you've got good showdown value. You would have saved yourself 12 quid.
    Posted by BigBluster
    yeah very true wish i had done now but i just wonder if a shove would of got through on the river i don't think so because of my reraise on the turn like i said i made a right mess of it lol
  • edited July 2011
    fold pre, if you really want to play for some reason raise

Im not sure flatting flop will be profitable, if you hit its going to be pretty tough to get paid, I prob just fold

I dont get why you raise turn, unless you planned to raise most turns when you flat flop. Fold to the 3bet

I would be very tempted to shove the river if I ever got there this way, but its pretty dependent on how villain views  you.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: made a right mess of this one!!!:
    I'd fold or raise pre, raising would be good so you could iso the limper in position and gain control of the hand flop is fine, raise would be ok aswell this deep turn is a deffo flat call, it's almost like you're bluffing, i understand protecting your hand but there is no way you're getting called by a worse hand raising on that street, so now as played the pot is already way above what it should be, and at this point with villains 3-bet you have to know you're behind that's why you could have repped the straight on the river, i know you hit 2-pair but it's quite evident that you're probably behind, checking back is probably ok but with it being quite a big pot and the aggressor checked it to you, clearly scared of the straight, i'd probably put a bet in there, turning my hand into a bluff rather than for value obv
    Posted by percival09
    he had about £30 left and me £150 i could of shoved but felt it would not of got through as he may have made a straight on the river aswell ??? don't know just felt it best to let go.but i totaly agree it was the turn where i got it really wrong could of got away far cheaper if i had not reraised.
  • edited July 2011
    You were sat deep enough, must have been on a heater.  Play the run :p

I dont like the raise @ turn, but dont hate the flat pre if your running the table over.

Think I prefer a raise on flop to set the tone on later streets.

Likely 3bet flop, but if not, flat turn for me.  See what shows up on river.  Your deep enough here not to get to entrenched.
  • edited July 2011
    BTW you didn't have a gut-shot you had open-ended straight draw, so you did have the odds to call his 3bet
  • edited July 2011
    Don't limp from the button with 69 offsuit.
  • edited July 2011
    Snap fold pre.