You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What Do You Do Next??

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
badbyrne1 Small blind  £1.50 £1.50 £260.04
XXXX Big blind  £3.00 £4.50 £310.50
  Your hole cards
  • A

GBD301 Fold     
5ocrates Fold     
F_Ivanovic Fold     
Eyeman Raise  £9.00 £13.50 £331.52
badbyrne1 Fold     
XXXX Raise  £30.00 £43.50 £280.50
Eyeman Call  £24.00 £67.50 £307.52
Flop

• K

XXXXBet  £42.00 £109.50 £238.50
Eyeman Raise  £84.00 £193.50 £223.52
XXXX Raise  £84.00 £277.50 £154.50
Eyeman Call  £42.00 £319.50 £181.52
Turn

XXXX Check    

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I assume you have reads to play it this way, but readless

Fold to 3bet pre

Id just flat the flop, once you raise and he 3bets I might fold even with those odds.

turn I check back

• edited July 2011
    He's got 154 back and if you shove there will be 500 in the pot. He will call you. He may take his time, but he will call.
    Take the free card and hope for a miracle. Even a five will give you showdown value.

• edited July 2011
    wave goodbye to £200?

Very weird line you have taken, did you have any reads?
  • edited July 2011
    I'm definitely folding to the 3bet pre. Even though you have position, it's going to be hard knowing where you are with a hand like A5
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What Do You Do Next??:
    wave goodbye to £200? Very weird line you have taken, did you have any reads?
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    I agree, my play is curious at best. The other player had lead out and raised continually, and was also folding to pressure on occasion. I really hoped my re-raise post-flop would push him off, but he popped back at me.

I really should have folded at that point, but history is history.

The check on the turn was interesting. He'd re-raised, lead out and re-re-raised, so the check as a trapping play confused me. I was torn between the check and pray, and the fire and pray (an an atheist, both options were less than satisfactory).
  • edited July 2011
    Ok so the hand history goes up to him checking on the turn. Did you check behind or bet out? Did you ever find out what he had?
  • edited July 2011
    Ok so the hand history goes up to him checking on the turn. Did you check behind or bet out? Did you ever find out what he had?
    Posted by Lambert180
    This, basically is what I'm asking.
  • edited July 2011
    well, i would fold everytime he re-raised - especially on the flop - and in both cases, if you're going to bluff a big hand, re-raise, don't call his raises

if you are going to bluff, you would be better just shoving earlier not calling his re-raise on the flop - when he min re-raises you should fold or shove - calling to get more value makes no sense when you dont have a hand

as of now, either give up or shove, but realise you are shoving as a bluff, not hoping to catch an A or a 4

as current position, check is probably the best option - if you hit the 4 you lucked out, if you hit the A you could still be behind
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What Do You Do Next?? : This, basically is what I'm asking.
    Posted by Eyeman
    Sorry, don't mind me, I'm fairly new to posting on the forum. Well I would fold to the re-raise pre and if I did call, I'd fold to the re-raise on the flop, and if I called again, I think you're only hope is to check and get a miracle card because you've played it too weak to bluff at that stage.
  • edited July 2011

Certainly, it seems I have 2 options.

1. Check behind and hope to hit the misacle 4, or possibly one of my 2 cards.
    2. Take a crack at it now as a bluff, and hope his check is weak, rather than strong.

Clearly the best option is

3. Fold pre to the re-raise and have a night out with what you saved.

• edited July 2011
    I guess I'm also looking from the other guy's perspective. He's re-raised pre, and been called. He's lead out post-flop, then re-raised to a re-raise. The check on the turn smells to me, and smells really bad.

If I am in his shoes with the nuts, or even a decent hand, I'm shoving on the turn, not checking. He has no need to trap me (I have done that myself). If I have AA or AK or KK, on that board to that caller, I am chucking the lot in, and hoping I don't run into 22 or 33.

The check just didn't sit with what had gone before.
  • edited July 2011
    yeah i agree the check is weird, pot control doesnt make sense as he re-raised your re-raise on the flop

given how you've played it, you could follow through and bet here as long as you know its a bluff, not thinking your ahead
    he could just as easily be looking to check raise you given the aggression on the flop
  • edited July 2011
    I'd like shoving turn a lot more if we had more than 1/2 pot behind. He shouldnt have a good hand but he prob shouldnt play a bluff like this either, and you could get hero called here

If you think villain is fos, would 4b/f pre not be better than flatting?

Also how aggro is he? Would floating the flop be an option rather than bluff raising?
  • edited July 2011
    seeing you've invested as much as you have - and have taken a fairly strong line if i was the villian I dont ever put you on A5os. you need a villian capable of folding a big hand like A/K, or something like that to make a show +EV. so thats read dependant - how well did you know the villain was he capable of folding a hand like AK? If not check behind and hope for a 4 outer!

But thet way the whole hand has been played is just horrible - had you been looking to get into this sort of situation with him? otherwise I dont really see any need to call the 3bet pre.

So... A push looks very strong as he's getting massive odds to call - checking back just looks weak and unless you hit the 4 you might aswell give up - even if you hit the ace I wouldnt feel comfortable calling off an All-in. I think what i'm saying is it just depends on how you read the villain.

• edited July 2011
    Easy fold pre to reraise.