You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dont lets vote bent or not

edited October 2009 in Area 51

some of you may be aware of the thread 'lets vote bent or not' While i actively enjoy and participate in debates i feel this thread has become very derisive with, people being threatened, called disgusting names etc. Some threads have already been removed by the moderators because of their innappropriate content. Im in the not rigged camp and im asking any other players who are also in this camp or against the disgusting threads being written to please not post any more threads on that post . post yes here if you agree 

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Dont lets vote bent or not:
    some of you may be aware of the thread 'lets vote bent or not' While i actively enjoy and participate in debates i feel this thread has become very derisive with, people being threatened, called disgusting names etc. Some threads have already been removed by the moderators because of their innappropriate content. Im in the not rigged camp and im asking any other players who are also in this camp or against the disgusting threads being written to please not post any more threads on that post . post yes here if you agree 
    Posted by loonytoons
    Couldn't agree more. Most of the abuse met in that thread has been aimed at myself, even though i tried to post a rational argument. Very childish IMO.
  • edited October 2009
    Sorry, need to put another comment here to move it up the list so to speak. I posted a thank you to a supporter on the other thread and it moved it up the list, above this one. I do not want that thread to get any more exposure than it already has.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Dont lets vote bent or not:
    Posted by loonytoons
    yes
  • edited October 2009
    i woz chockablockerated with abhorrentful disgustillation wen i sor dat fred---yes
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not:
    In Response to Dont lets vote bent or not : yes
    Posted by neilcarlo
    Thanks Neil, I appreciate your support here. Whilst I know that some of the abuse dished out was from yourself, In no way were your posts as disgusting as some as the others I have received. I am also pleased that you have admitted your mistakes and come over from the 'dark side' so to speak.

The forum is a place for active discussions and intelligent debate. That particular thread has very little going for it in either of those catagories at the moment.

I look forward to seeing more of your comments within the forum area. The forums aren't just about area 51. Go look at some of the other areas, Join in, and you will find the most friendly group of people you could ever wish to meet. P.S. Goals, Goals, Goals in the shed is a little cracker. You can win a free entry to a tournament for 5 seconds work!

There is also an awful lot of fantastic advice regarding everyones game and more people need to take notice of some of this advice. There are a lot of very experienced players who post everyday, they are giving their knowledge for free and very often put their own game and strategies on the forum. They do this at the risk of having their play exposed and ultimately put themselves at a disadvantage.

Advice like this is worth it's weight in gold.

If more of this knowledge were followed, I have no doubts area 51 would soon become obsolete.

One final thing to all those that have sent me private messages of support, you all know who you are so I have no intentions of naming names within this post. Just to say I have lost 2 hours playing time this morning personally replying to all of you.

Your support and words of encouragement are highly appreciated and I have very much taken on board your advice on how to deal with this sort of problem in future.

Good luck guys and see you at the tables.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : Thanks Neil, I appreciate your support here. Whilst I know that some of the abuse dished out was from yourself, In no way were your posts as disgusting as some as the others I have received. I am also pleased that you have admitted your mistakes and come over from the 'dark side' so to speak. The forum is a place for active discussions and intelligent debate. That particular thread has very little going for it in either of those catagories at the moment. I look forward to seeing more of your comments within the forum area. The forums aren't just about area 51. Go look at some of the other areas, Join in, and you will find the most friendly group of people you could ever wish to meet. P.S. Goals, Goals, Goals in the shed is a little cracker. You can win a free entry to a tournament for 5 seconds work! There is also an awful lot of fantastic advice regarding everyones game and more people need to take notice of some of this advice. There are a lot of very experienced players who post everyday, they are giving their knowledge for free and very often put their own game and strategies on the forum. They do this at the risk of having their play exposed and ultimately put themselves at a disadvantage. Advice like this is worth it's weight in gold. If more of this knowledge were followed, I have no doubts area 51 would soon become obsolete. One final thing to all those that have sent me private messages of support, you all know who you are so I have no intentions of naming names within this post. Just to say I have lost 2 hours playing time this morning personally replying to all of you. Your support and words of encouragement are highly appreciated and I have very much taken on board your advice on how to deal with this sort of problem in future. Good luck guys and see you at the tables.
    Posted by Hale72
    What a good post. Well written and articulate. Bravo Hale72
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : What a good post. Well written and articulate. Bravo Hale72
    Posted by fingers615
    Thanks Fingers, I do try to make my posts as readable as possible. One of my biggest gripes is text speak. This appears to be taking over the language now. The biggest gripe I have is purely down to the fact that I cannot read it very well.
    Whilst I have no wish to cast dispersions on those that do use it, I feel it has it's place in text/limited space messages. (although my texts, when I use them are still constructed correctly. I still cant see the point of a text conversation, why not just phone your friend, keep that personal touch and ultimately save yourself some cash?) Certainly not an unlimited space forum.
    I don't mind the odd LOL, IMO etc. but my understanding of text speak only stretches this far.

Again, it is nice to be appreciated.
  • edited October 2009

Totally agree Hale, "txt speak" is the bain of the English language.

While it is useful on mobiles, it has quickly become the modus operandi of most children and as can be seen on this forum, adults where ever the written word is used.

It has dramatically accelerated the declining standards of English in this country which is a great shame for our nation.

• edited October 2009

This being a democratic forum, and one that's evidently populated by a more cultured and erudite audience, oughtn't we ideally take a vote on whether or not one should vote?

I don't really wish to feel obligated to go one way or the other, purely on the whim of the proletariat. I feel it encroaches negatively upon my civil liberties and freedom of choice (under the Magna Carta, you understand). 

On the other hand, we could simply allow apathy to reign, and we could collectively ignore the entire sorry debacle, and the small-minded Amoebas, that are so genitally deficient, that they feel the need to use childish threats and personal insults, in what is ultimately is a simple, recreational game of cards?

I'll leave it to you. I'm not messed one way or the other and will go with the general consensus.

LOL, ROFLMAO, m8, winky emoticon ;) etc., etc., etc...

• edited October 2009
    brilliant as usual flutnush!
  • edited October 2009
    are you going to try and make the SPT?
  • edited October 2009

Definitely. If I can qualify, I'll be there. 

Will come and say hello if you're going.

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : Thanks Fingers, I do try to make my posts as readable as possible. One of my biggest gripes is text speak. This appears to be taking over the language now. The biggest gripe I have is purely down to the fact that I cannot read it very well. Whilst I have no wish to cast dispersions on those that do use it, I feel it has it's place in text/limited space messages. (although my texts, when I use them are still constructed correctly. I still cant see the point of a text conversation, why not just phone your friend, keep that personal touch and ultimately save yourself some cash?) Certainly not an unlimited space forum. I don't mind the odd LOL, IMO etc. but my understanding of text speak only stretches this far. Again, it is nice to be appreciated.
    Posted by Hale72

Yes, nice posts Hale. Keep 'em coming.
  • edited October 2009
    Definitely. If I can qualify, I'll be there.    Will come and say hello if you're going.
    Posted by FlutNush
    yeah hopefully i'll be going to a few of the legs. do my bit for the old community and all that!
  • edited October 2009
    I don't mind the odd LOL, IMO etc. but my understanding of text speak only stretches this far.
    Posted by Hale72
    Strictly speaking those abbreviations are not text speak, they originated on t'internet long before anyone had sent text messages, just like the emoticons such as :-) ;-) :-p etc...etc
  • edited October 2009
    I think you'll find they were used on typewriters before that and probably trace back to hyraglyph......hiragliph.....them funny pictures the Egyptians used, (no I don't use spellchecker either).

You can't have a forum and expect perfect grammar or spelling, and to expect it is both unrealistic and unfair. Bad language, insults etc. are unwelcome and against the very ethos of a community forum and should be deleted immediately.

(I think I can spell hieroglyphics btw)
  • edited October 2009

On the other hand, we could simply allow apathy to reign, and we could collectively ignore the entire sorry debacle, and the small-minded Amoebas, that are so genitally deficient, that they feel the need to use childish threats and personal insults, in what is ultimately is a simple, recreational game of cards? Posted by Flutnush

Thanks for clearing that up for us Flut, it all makes so much sense now! 8- />

• edited October 2009
    I think you'll find they were used on typewriters before that and probably trace back to hyraglyph......hiragliph.....them funny pictures the Egyptians used, (no I don't use spellchecker either). You can't have a forum and expect perfect grammar or spelling, and to expect it is both unrealistic and unfair. Bad language, insults etc. are unwelcome and against the very ethos of a community forum and should be deleted immediately. (I think I can spell hieroglyphics btw)
    Posted by elsadog
    No Elsa, I ,in no way expect perfection in threads. My gripe (and this is more personal than anything else) is that I cant understand text or abbreviated speak very well.

Those smilie face things as well, no idea's at all, they just look like comma's to me! I was told to turn my screen on the side to see the face but then they just look like sideways comma's!

Bring back the fountain pen!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : No Elsa, I ,in no way expect perfection in threads. My gripe (and this is more personal than anything else) is that I cant understand text or abbreviated speak very well. Those smilie face things as well, no idea's at all, they just look like comma's to me! I was told to turn my screen on the side to see the face but then they just look like sideways comma's! Bring back the fountain pen!
    Posted by Hale72
    try turning your head sideways with your tongue out and you will see it gl
  • edited October 2009

I only spotted the other Thread late this afternoon, & I've now Posted on there.

I don't really want to comment further, except to say, ugh.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : No Elsa, I ,in no way expect perfection in threads. My gripe (and this is more personal than anything else) is that I cant understand text or abbreviated speak very well. Those smilie face things as well, no idea's at all, they just look like comma's to me! I was told to turn my screen on the side to see the face but then they just look like sideways comma's! Bring back the fountain pen!
    Posted by Hale72
    It wasn't a dig at you Hale. Just a general statement/observation.

ps. I bet you know what TTFN means though, don't you? And that's definitely older than computers, or hieroglyphics for that matter.
     If you don't, ask Tikay he'll definitely know.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : It wasn't a dig at you Hale. Just a general statement/observation. ps. I bet you know what TTFN means though, don't you? And that's definitely older than computers, or hieroglyphics for that matter.  If you don't, ask Tikay he'll definitely know.
    Posted by elsadog
    A Jimmy Young Fan!

What's the Recipe today, Jimmy?
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Dont lets vote bent or not : A Jimmy Young Fan! What's the Recipe today, Jimmy?
    Posted by tikay1

There you go! Guaranteed to bite :)

Damson Jam, in answer to your question, It's a late night poker-therapy thing.
  • edited October 2009
    here we go again, someone bumped lets vote bent or not back up the list, it was 9 days since last post, was hoping both these threads were consigned to where they belong sigh
  • edited October 2009
    I saw, disgusting behaviour again, no longer happy to abuse me, now they have aimed there abuse at Tikay and the rest of the presenters.

This is now way beyond acceptable. Surely a forum ban needs to be imposed now before this starts to get ugly.

I am happy to say that I have clicked on the report abuse button on the most recent offensive post.
  • edited October 2009

Thank you Sky Steve m. The most offensive post has been removed and the thread has been closed down.

Hopefully that is the end in this sorry chapter of the forum.  Although I have my doubts

• edited October 2009
    well done for closing the other thread, any chance you could now close this one started by me  as i only set it up as a direct consequence of the other thread. I wouldnt want this one to become a focus of more unwanted attention thanks
  • edited October 2009
    well done for closing the other thread, any chance you could now close this one started by me  as i only set it up as a direct consequence of the other thread. I wouldnt want this one to become a focus of more unwanted attention thanks
    Posted by loonytoons
    Good idea, Not taking away anything from loony, and a big thank you for steering people away from the original thread, but this thread too has now served it's purpose and by keeping it open will just result in the lower end of the forum venting there abuse here.
  • edited October 2009