You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dealing with a bad run

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi 

Has anyone got any strategies to deal with a medium to long run of bad beats. I know it is just the variance of the game, but i find that i can make it worse by going on tilt (and hence playing bad) and then losing more than I would do just because I am unlucky. 

I have a few strategies, which help. Firstly, if it a very long run, I tend to drop down a level and wait until my roll is a bit bigger then move up again. Secondly, I try more pot control over my hands. 

But, although this allows me to not lose my backroll, if makes it very difficult to build it to a larger level. 

Any advice please???

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Interesting post Hamster. I have just been on my first major downswing and managed to cut 25% of my bankroll. Luckily it seems to have swung back in my favour a bit but i also dropped levels and i love tilting in the 30p DYM's and BH SNG's, its quite funny trying to turn it around.

Anyhow, that didnt work and as luck would have it i went to the Lakes for a week and was therefore forced into a small break from the game. I came back and have watched the UK Cash Games and some other EPT stuff on C4 and that seems to have been the slap i needed to rectify some of the confidence in my game. Since then i have got quite a bit of my bankroll back.

Be interesting to hear some other views on this.
  • edited July 2011
    read up on bankroll management and stick to it

stop playing when you feel you are tilting

Dont exercise pot control because you are running bad, play each hand on its merits

taking a break for a while often helps

These three may not be optimal poker advice, but I sometimes find they help when I am playing slightly spewy.

Tighten up your opening range

More importantly, tighten up your calling range pre, especially from the blinds

Bluff less
  • edited July 2011
    Hi thanks guys the difficulty I find though, in not managing your bankroll (I keep to the 10/5 % rule) and never really go bust. It is rather building your backroll, as going on tilt after a bad beat, I am often determined to win your money back and this can make thinks worse. 

I know that i am profitable IF i am playing well, but I also know im very unprofitable when im titling. I suppose it just judging those time when to leave the table and chill out from poker is key.