You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I flat turn?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Opponent seems nitty and doesn't buy in for max.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sub000zero Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £17.42
madmoney19 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £16.76
 Your hole cards

Frowme Fold     
wurzo Fold     
mattless Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £27.58
xCall  £0.80 £1.90 £10.79
sub000zero Fold     
madmoney19 Fold     
Flop

• Q

mattless Bet  £0.95 £2.85 £26.63
Raise  £1.90 £4.75 £8.89
mattless Call  £0.95 £5.70 £25.68
Turn

• A

mattless Check     
xBet  £2.85 £8.55 £6.04
mattless Raise  £8.55 £17.10 £17.13
xFold     
mattless Muck     
mattless Win  £10.83  £27.96
mattless Return  £5.70 £0.57 £33.66

Comments

• edited July 2011

I would have four bet the flop for value! Its unlikely he is bluffing and if he is bluffing, your not gonna get much more anyway, so hope he has a Q and cant fold!

If i flat the flop, i probably lead the turn because although the A is a scare card for him, its also possible it has hit him, and he will prob still call a bet if he has the Q.

As played, yes a flat is best on the turn because a c/r looks so strong and if he has nitty tendancies he will not stack off without the ace at least. so flat and value town the river.

EDIT... just read stack sizes again. think your ul not to get a call on the turn. He didnt have much behind in proportion to the pot!! So little point flatting i guess 
  • edited July 2011
    Think your turning your hand face up with 4bet on flop.

I just flat behind turn and let him bluff at it again on river.  He isnt strong here, no A or Q IMO
  • edited July 2011
    greg I dont see why you would lead an A on turn, I also dont see why you flat flop raise if you intend leading turn.

He may well bluff this board, but I think I like 3betting flop cos shorty nits dont usually like folding once they raise

Once I get to the turn, I prob flat but that sucks because if i do that Im checking river to him and he'll check behind lots so I dont hate the raise

I also wouldnt open 34s without a good reason, but you may have one and its not terribad or anything
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah, i flat the turn too. I think he continues on the river. He's the one building the pot, he probably shoves river. If he doesnt then i dont think you get much more out of him anyway. You could always lead out the river for value and hope he shoves that way but it is read dependent on how aggro the player has been or how he's been playing.
  • edited July 2011
    My thinking at the time  was that if I let him lead out on turn, he would have put half his stack in so can't fold to my raise. As greg says if he has the queen a 4 bet flop might be better.

In retrospect I think the ace is a bad card and this is what makes him fold. I think the c/r on turn just looks too strong, a flat and lead out the river I might get the rest of his chips, but I don't think so.

Check river and I think he checks behind
  • edited July 2011
    why does flatting turn leading river look less strong thsn c/r turn?
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Should I flat turn?:
    why does flatting turn leading river look less strong thsn c/r turn?
    Posted by grantorino
    In retrospect I think the ace is a bad card and this is what makes him fold. I think the c/r on turn just looks too strong, a flat and lead out the river I might get the rest of his chips, but I don't think so.

I'm not sure it does, but if we assume he has a queen or 55-JJ and a blank comes it is the only way to get more of his chips. As it happens I think the Ace means either way he's done with the hand, which brings us back to a 4 bet flop as the only way I get more
  • edited July 2011
    greg I dont see why you would lead an A on turn, I also dont see why you flat flop raise if you intend leading turn. He may well bluff this board, but I think I like 3betting flop cos shorty nits dont usually like folding once they raise Once I get to the turn, I prob flat but that sucks because if i do that Im checking river to him and he'll check behind lots so I dont hate the raise I also wouldnt open 34s without a good reason, but you may have one and its not terribad or anything
    Posted by grantorino
    I said i would probably raise again on the flop. I dont like flatting the flop vs the player type matless described. I dont care if my hand is "face up"  most average nits wont believe ive got the "4"  If hes got the Q, hes going broke on the flop. simple. I think nits will have the Q alot of the time. However, If i know the player likes to bluff IP tho, obviously i would flat his raise and then check the turn to induce action.

The turn lead was on the basis that i think the guy has got something due to his flop clickback. But i wouldnt play it this way because i would be raising the flop!

I dont mind raising with 43s unopened in a cash game at all. even at 20nl.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Should I flat turn? : I said i would probably raise again on the flop. I dont like flatting the flop vs the player type matless described. I dont care if my hand is "face up"  most average nits wont believe ive got the "4"  If hes got the Q, hes going broke on the flop. simple. I think nits will have the Q alot of the time. However, If i know the player likes to bluff IP tho, obviously i would flat his raise and then check the turn to induce action. The turn lead was on the basis that i think the guy has got something due to his flop clickback. But i wouldnt play it this way because i would be raising the flop! I dont mind raising with 43s unopened in a cash game at all. even at 20nl.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Im not going to argue about opening 34s, I think it depends whos left to act, especially those in position to you. If its profitable I think its usually marginally so, and I think way to many people auto open small suited connectors without thinking at low stakes.

I know you want to 3bet flop, but if you flat flop I think you have to check turn. If he has something he'll bet anyway, and if you are going to lead turn anyway 3betting flop is a far better option. The A is an especially bad card to lead
  • edited July 2011
    I just flat the turn