You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how would u play this hand and opinions on how a played it?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancegoody2sh29Small blind£0.10£0.10£22.87ejh101Big blind £0.20£0.30£9.30 Your hole cardsAA   twotone804Call £0.20£0.50£13.29liamboi11Raise £0.80£1.30£22.33billythekiFold    goody2sh29Call £0.70£2.00£22.17ejh101Fold    twotone804Call £0.60£2.60£12.69Flop  67J   goody2sh29Check    twotone804Bet £0.20£2.80£12.49liamboi11Raise £2.40£5.20£19.93goody2sh29Raise £4.60£9.80£17.57twotone804Fold    liamboi11Raise £7.20£17.00£12.73goody2sh29All-in £17.57£34.57£0.00liamboi11Fold    goody2sh29Muck    goody2sh29Win £20.90 £20.90goody2sh29Return £12.57£1.10£33.47

Comments

• edited July 2011

reads?

You would need a specific read to make 4b/f on the flop good imo

• edited July 2011

think you've played it fairly well to be honest, the stack sizes are a little awkward. If he had been deeper I would have liked the re-raise on the flop to have been bigger, but if you re-raised bigger here you would have been committed when he shoved. Therefore if you had every intnetion of folding to a shove the bet size is good.

I'm assuming he had been playing fairly tight and it's likely he had set of 6's or 7's rather then him being aggro and havong 89 or AJ
  • edited July 2011
    i can't see no reason not to stick it in
    More likely to show up with a hand your beating ?

sets v overprs are just standard aren't they ?

I can't see any benefits to 5 bet folding on the flop

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how would u play this hand and opinions on how a played it?:
    reads? You would need a specific read to make 4b/f on the flop good imo
    Posted by grantorino
    If your notes suggested he plays sets this way from the flop and say TPTK or overpair another way then you can fold right ?

Readless your all in right ?

Think maybe long term this is not good to keep laying these hands down ?

Generally it's swings and roundabouts with sets v overpairs, what comes around goes around :S
    I just can't see how people fold in this situation, like set over set :s
    I might have to study this more closley :)

• edited July 2011
    yeah sorry reads he has been pretty solid all game wen goes to show down he has always had a hand and im always suspsicious with the check min raise wen a re re raise on the flop i think he can fold aj here so must be a set and rancid yeah totally agree no reads its allin m8 but the way it played think im crushed lol thanks for the opinions guys appreciate it.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how would u play this hand and opinions on how a played it? : If your notes suggested he plays sets this way from the flop and say TPTK or overpair another way then you can fold right ? Readless your all in right ? Think maybe long term this is not good to keep laying these hands down ? Generally it's swings and roundabouts with sets v overpairs, what comes around goes around :S I just can't see how people fold in this situation, like set over set :s I might have to study this more closley :)
    Posted by rancid
    If I raise his cold 3bet on flop I am getting it in if he shoves

Villains line is pretty strong when he cold 3bets, there are definitely players I would fold against at that stage. I also think flatting his raise is an option.
  • edited July 2011
    yeah sorry reads he has been pretty solid all game wen goes to show down he has always had a hand and im always suspsicious with the check min raise wen a re re raise on the flop i think he can fold aj here so must be a set and rancid yeah totally agree no reads its allin m8 but the way it played think im crushed lol thanks for the opinions guys appreciate it.
    Posted by liamboi11
    Depends if he raises Jx here, but if I dont think he does I would fold to his first raise 
  • edited July 2011
    i did not want to call because what do on the turn if im goin 2 call the turn mite aswell get it in on the flop but againist the player im 4 sure a was behind cost me just over third of ma stack to find out though lol,and yeah a think he could do that with aj kj but what iv seen of his play a think he would fold after a re re raise him on the flop he throws those hands away.
  • edited July 2011
    i did not want to call because what do on the turn if im goin 2 call the turn mite aswell get it in on the flop but againist the player im 4 sure a was behind cost me just over third of ma stack to find out though lol,and yeah a think he could do that with aj kj but what iv seen of his play a think he would fold after a re re raise him on the flop he throws those hands away.
    Posted by liamboi11
    If thats the case call />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>raise  on flop. When you 4bet you are bluffing with AA
  • edited July 2011
    would not put it like that im gettin more info about his hand so personally do you think its a bad fold in that spot?
  • edited July 2011

If the fold is good the raise is bad

When you raise you think he folds AJ, which is the top of the range that you beat. He never fold any hand that beats AA. So your bet is not for value, nothing worse calls, he might fold a lot but if he folds your cards dont matter. Its not a bluff either as nothing better folds. So raising is bad. Calling would be much better as he probably fires again with Jx

Generally raise folding value hands on flop is not a good idea without a very good read that villain his raising range beats you and he has a pretty wide calling range which you beat. We rarely have that clear a read

• edited July 2011
    I can't fold on that flop.

When he makes it £4.60 you can't raise to £7.60 then fold it's just crazy especially on that flop.
  • edited July 2011
    I can't fold on that flop. When he makes it £4.60 you can't raise to £7.60 then fold it's just crazy especially on that flop.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Why is that flop especially good to get it in on? I think getting it in is prob fine, dont think its that great a flop to face a raise on though
  • edited July 2011
    ok thanks m8 its gd 2 hear different views makes me think in a different way and dudeskin why is it crazy to fold have you took on board he has check min raised then shoved over ma re re raise i think its clear hes beatin 1 pair but maybe a was wrong 
  • edited July 2011
    Yes the flop is very dry so only straight draws out and possible KJ, you have two aces so blocking AJ.

Still just 100 bigs deep im never folding here.
  • edited July 2011
    Why did you raise to £7.60 if you had any intention of folding?

If you think your beat fold, if you think he's bluffing call and let him bluff turn.
  • edited July 2011
    if he had aj,kj,qj with ma last raise he would fold here he was a soildid player so when he moves allin a know im beat i would not always fold in this spot just againist this player a went wae my gut and the way the action went.maybe your right why raise and then fold i wasnt convinced a was behind but asked the question and got an answer but thanks for your advice a will take everyfin on board from yourself every1
  • edited July 2011
    all in all the guy could easily have QQ or KK

FLATS PRE if no higher card he getting it in so hey ho lets go
  • edited July 2011
    if he had aj,kj,qj with ma last raise he would fold here he was a soildid player so when he moves allin a know im beat i would not always fold in this spot just againist this player a went wae my gut and the way the action went.maybe your right why raise and then fold i wasnt convinced a was behind but asked the question and got an answer but thanks for your advice a will take everyfin on board from yourself every1
    Posted by liamboi11
    This is bad right ?
  • edited July 2011
    yeah, there are 2 reasons to raise

For value, ie will be called/raised by worse
    As a bluff, to make better hands fold

Ops raise on flop acheives neither of these (assuming his reads are correct) so its bad. Raising for info is nearly always bad because it does the opposite of what it should- it makes better hands continue and worse hands fold
  • edited July 2011
    yeah, there are 2 reasons to raise For value, ie will be called/raised by worse As a bluff, to make better hands fold Ops raise on flop acheives neither of these so its bad. Raising for info is bad because it does the opposite of what it should- it makes better hands continue and worse hands fold
    Posted by grantorino

Essentially if you think your beat just fold don't raise :) Unless your raise is a bluff, but if you raise as a bluff and they raise you fold right ? So you can not raise fold as raise folding is so bad :s Unless it's meant as a bluff and your no way near pot stuck. Raising when you think you have the best hand is good ? but if someone then raises you can still fold if you re access :D

EMMMM Confused ? Only raise for value to get it in, or as an outright bluff/semi bluff
    Raising just for information is bad, the only info your going to get is bad info espcially if the guy is bluffing :D
    Or he could have a better hand, which is even worse info :D

SWEET GAME INTI BRUV

• edited July 2011
  • edited July 2011
    ok guys thanks for advice again a personally think im beat in this spot maybe should not have re re raised on the flop but we all mistakes lol.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how would u play this hand and opinions on how a played it? : Essentially if you think your beat just fold don't raise :) Unless your raise is a bluff, but if you raise as a bluff and they raise you fold right ? So you can not raise fold as raise folding is so bad :s Unless it's meant as a bluff and your no way near pot stuck. Raising when you think you have the best hand is good ? but if someone then raises you can still fold if you re access :D EMMMM Confused ? Only raise for value to get it in, or as an outright bluff/semi bluff Raising just for information is bad, the only info your going to get is bad info espcially if the guy is bluffing :D Or he could have a better hand, which is even worse info :D SWEET GAME INTI BRUV
    Posted by rancid
    You can value bet and fold to a raise if you are think he flats more often with a range you beat than he raises and his raising range beats you. In a spot like the one here though generally villains are more likely to shove than flat and in a lot of cases their flatting range may be as strong as their raising range , so imo raise/folding just turns our hand into a bluff. This is why raise/folding is not a line I like taking when I have a strong hand without very good reads on villain

Your last few sentences on raising for info are correct you always get the wrong info
  • edited July 2011
    ok guys thanks for advice again a personally think im beat in this spot maybe should not have re re raised on the flop but we all mistakes lol.
    Posted by liamboi11
    You may well be beat at the point you folded. If you are though your raise makes no sense unless you think he flats lots with worse

Once he raises on flop, you have 3 options, fold, call or raise intending to get it in if reraised. But raise/folding  here is just bad poker imo
  • edited July 2011
    i thought he would either call or fold with ma last raise with hands like aj kj maybe qq or kk but think he 3 bets them pre flop and regards to the raise folding is bad do u not think it is better to lose the amount a did than ma whole stack when i know for sure he is beatin ma aces and normally wen i do put that last raise im callin it off but just know for sure againist this opponent and in that spot he had me beat lol
  • edited July 2011
    imo you had one pair at the end of the day, there arnt many people who will push 5 bet all in on the flop with just one pair. Good fold imo :)
  • edited July 2011
    without specific reads that he gets super attached to tp you should fold to the cold 3 bet, he shows epic strength doing this if you say he hasnt got out of line at all its unlikely he plays AJ like this

if you're confident he can get attached to tp and plays like this i think flatting his 3 bet would be the best option
  • edited July 2011
    I'd open £1.20 with early limper, 80p is not enough!

3 handed on that flop we should be ahead, Good re-raise i'd prob just call after you get min re-raised as we have position and im still pretty confident im ahead but bit of pot control. i'd probably get in most turns unless villain is solid and doesn't overplay TPGK