You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

advice please

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
what do you do with hands like j8 suited in early position because you want to atleast see a flop with it

Comments

• edited July 2011
    fold it. Why do you want to see a flop so much with J8s, there arent that many you are going to like
  • edited July 2011
    ok cool what about late position
  • edited July 2011
    More suited to deep stack cash than tournament, this kind of thinking with hands like J8 will just get you in so much trouble and is horribly horribly spewy.

Why do you want to see a flop?  Because once upon a time you flopped a bad straight that held or J high flush that held?

Play 10 S+G#s cutting out limping or raising with this type of hand and you will see a remarkable difference to your success.

• edited July 2011
    J 8 suited should be the bottom of your range on a button play if you can play these hands correctly play them but if you are trying to learn the game and strengthen your game then stick to TT or better with set mining and value hands included
  • edited July 2011
    ABC Poker Danny -

Play your prs with a raise, play TAG

Play Aces and kings suited from late postion the same
    maybe mix in some suited connectors and hands like KQ,J10,Q10,J9 in late postion

Try to avoid playing hands OOP unless there big hands

Play in postion, fold all junk hands, do not play J8s from any position

Work on this for a while and see how you go, you want to be folding 9 out 10 hands unless your getting hand after hand )

Also try and play with the full buy in - or if your bankroll is tight - buy in for 50BB at least

good luck

• edited July 2011

The first thing you need to do to improve your game is to start getting your opening range right. Until you become better at hand reading etc this range should be on the tight side, especially if you are playing 4NL.

Something like opening AJ+,ATs+KQ, 22+ from early position, add in suited broadways,KJ from co and btn would be a good place to start from imo. I wouldnt bother with small suited connectors or Axs until you get more confident.  Your calling range should be tighter than this. If there are limps in front of you raise all these hands except maybe small pairs and QJs, JTs. This way of playing will probably not be optimal, but should keep a lot of your postflop decisions easy and you can adjust it both to the players at your table and maybe widen it when your hand reading skills improve 

• edited July 2011
    Don't play J8s.
  • edited July 2011
    I'd drop j8 quicker than a live hand grenade.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: advice please:
    Don't play J8s.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    nothing wrong with playing J8s imo. But probably best to avoid raising utg with it at 4nl.

defo dont flat with it!
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: advice please : nothing wrong with playing J8s imo. But probably best to avoid raising utg with it at 4nl. defo dont flat with it!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    eh?

J8s = fold imo - in any position

might raise on button vs 2 away blinds - thats about it
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: advice please : nothing wrong with playing J8s imo. But probably best to avoid raising utg with it at 4nl. defo dont flat with it!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    LOL I love how you think this is my game in all formats, obvz play it at higher levels where only playing AA/KK/QQ might be a bit obvious lolz.

At NL4 I click the check/fold tab as soon as I'm dealt it.
  • edited July 2011

playing J8s is probably a bad idea for most players, unless you are very good postflop. Some players can probably do it from btn, maybe from other positions in certain situations, but in general dont play it in 6max cash <100bb deep without very good hand reading skills and decent reads on your opponents

• edited July 2011
    In Response to advice please:
    what do you do with hands like j8 suited in early position because you want to atleast see a flop with it
    Posted by danny101
    Hi Danny

Lots of good advice here from some very experienced players. I'm nowhere near their level yet, but try Clicking on My Sky Poker/Getting Started/Poker School/How to play - Poker Tips. There's some basic advice for the novice player including a list of suggested hands to play according to position. J8 suited only appears once, btw, and I have to say I play a lot tighter than that now.

Good luck out there!