You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is the forum helping my game? POLL

edited October 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
Just a thought guys, Yes I know the forum is helping my game because of the fantatic advice from so many of you, but............

More and more of my time recently is being devoted to the forum and less and less time over on the tables. (sorry Sky, you WILL get the money back I missed in rake I promise!)

However, I felt enough was enough as some days I didn't even play a single game and it was time to get my bankroll moving again. Before my little excursion to the forums, I played about 15 consecutive games a day and generally cashed in between about 60/65% of those. So by playing DYM's my bankroll grew, but very slowly.

I now tend to play a game, have 15 minutes or so forum time then go back to the tables.

Since then my ROI has shot up dramatically and I now regularly cash at a much higher percentage than before and my bankroll is increasing faster than before even though I am playing less.

Now I know this is a very small sample and it just be that I am running hot at the moment but I am more inclined to think that my concentration levels are staying higher now due to the slightly increased focus I currently have by not playing consecutive games.

I know this probably doesn't belong in the strategy section, but in a way, for me, it is.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

P.S. I love this place.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Hi Hayley,
    I'm not sure if the forum has helped my poker, but i now type a great deal faster lol
    col
  • edited October 2009

Hi Hale, I voted for too small a sample, but that's a great return you're getting on the dym's, may I ask which ones you play on?

I regularly play on the £22 ones and am a bit up and down at the moment.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Is the forum helping my game? POLL:
    Hi Hale, I voted for too small a sample, but that's a great return you're getting on the dym's, may I ask which ones you play on? I regularly play on the £22 ones and am a bit up and down at the moment.
    Posted by JingleMa
    I am a huge advocate of not only bankroll management but also playing at a level where you are comfortable. Using the 5% rule, I started out on the £1.15 tables but soon increased quite quickly. Yes a nice MTT cash let me go up 3 levels in one go, So I initially thought I had cheated the system and not earned my stripes so to speak. I then had a bankroll to comfortably play £5.50's. Now my bankroll now dictates that I COULD go up to £11.00's and on the verge of £16.50's.

HOWEVER, my game is not only based on BR but also a level I play comfortably. I played the £5.50's for a while without any complaints or problems but then I did have quite a bad run on the £5.50's which did not hurt my bankroll dramatically but it dropped by £35.00 in a week. I regrouped and took a while away from the tables but since then I have not been happy on the £5.50's and instead opted to play £3.30's. The hit I took basically told me I was actually mortal and prone to mistakes. (After such a fantastic run I began to believe my own hype)  

Yes, last month the only significant increase in my roll was the points for cash promotion, but hey, Ive put the hours in and bankroll is bankroll regardless of how its earnt.

So my answer is at the moment I am having most success on the £3.30's and when my confidence finally returns I will head up the charts, so to speak.

One other piece of advice is that I find cashing easier during the day. Due to family commitments I rarely have time for an evening game but when I do find the odd hour, the only place you find me is £1.15 or below.

I kept a record of my day cash pecentage and my evening cash percentage and I found a dramatic difference in the two. I have two theories regarding this. The first is that during the evening, my focus is not as high due to the obvious distractions of a family around. The second (which i feel more likely) is that the evening players are a different breed. I tended to get more bad beats and more loose calls during the evening.

I tend to think that at the levels I play at, this is also the level of the casual gamer who deposits once a week and gets a nights entertainment. So in this respect I am not prepared to risk any significant amount on my bankroll to sit next to gamblers.

Maybe I am doing this the wrong way round and should move up the ranks in the evenings to find a level where such gamblers are less likely to be.
  • edited October 2009

Thanks for the advice Hale, appreciate it.

I probably am playing slightly above my roll, however I personally just can't get motivated to play for under £20 in a stt.

I used to play £55 and £110 but then dropped down after a bad spell and I now usually break even at the end of the week or make a slight profit or loss but am of course hoping to up my roi. I might drop down to £11, lets see.

Oh, and interesting stuff about day and night play, I haven't checked to see if that is also true for me, I'll look into it. As for gamblers, trust me you'll find them on any level!

• edited October 2009
    Thanks for the advice Hale, appreciate it. I probably am playing slightly above my roll, however I personally just can't get motivated to play for under £20 in a stt. I used to play £55 and £110 but then dropped down after a bad spell and I now usually break even at the end of the week or make a slight profit or loss but am of course hoping to up my roi. I might drop down to £11, lets see. Oh, and interesting stuff about day and night play, I haven't checked to see if that is also true for me, I'll look into it. As for gamblers, trust me you'll find them on any level!
    Posted by JingleMa
    I can understand that, A STT taking 45 minutes and you are lucky to earn a fiver. I tend to not look at the stakes anymore after registration and play identically regardless.

Because I purely play for fun, the most important rule for me is not to blow my roll. I only deposited once and believe it or not, will never deposit again. Once it's gone, sorry Sky, i'm out the door. I started with £20.00 and was determined for this to last. If I get to £500 after a year I will be absolutely over the moon. If I have £20.00 again, no biggie, I'd have played thousands of games for nothing.

Before coming to Sky, I played at Party poker and used to put £20.00 on and then religiously withdrew my winnings every session. I had no clue at all to BRM nor any idea's whatsoever to whether I was up/down. I actually thought I was being clever by hitting the tables, winning a tenner and coming home. The fees party charge for withdrawl are absolutely criminal, they need to wear masks, I can tell you.

I saw the mighty Orfords challenge and thought to myself was this possible but just use the £20.00 I normally use. That was back in May. Here we are now October and I'm still going strong. Hey, not the biggest ROI on the site, I currently run at about 5% for STT's basically means I average a 15p profit per three quid game. Terrible for an hours work. If the minimum wage guys catch Sky, they will close them down!
  • edited October 2009
    One quick tip I learnt recently from a book.

It is never long term profitable calling an all in on the cash bubble on a DYM. Even with Aces. For calling an all in you need to be over a 75% favourite for it to be profitible. Even aces are rarely that heavily in front.

Where possible I let someone else do the calling. Lets be honest here, If he gets knocked out, you cash, if he knocks your opponent out, you cash. Its win/win. If he loses but is not knocked out, he's usually so short its just a time game. Doesnt work every time but where you are safe in chips let the shorties fight. One of them is bound to blow it.

Never call unless you significantly have your opponent covered in chips.

The basic concept goes as follows..........

Ignore chip stacks for the purpose of this, believe me they are irrelevent.

Take a £10 DYM (ignore buy in)
    When you sit down at the table, each player 'seat' is worth £10.00. The prize pool is £60.00
    When the first player is eliminated he relinquishes his £10 and effectively passes each of the remaining players £2.00.
    Now each 'seat' is worth £12.00. The prize pool obviously remains at £60.00.

This continues untill there are 4 players left and each of their 'seats' is worth £15.00.
    The maximun you can possibly win is £20.00. So if you call an all in and win, you have increased the value of your 'chair' by £5.00 and also effectively given £5.00 to each of the remaining 2 players.

However, should you lose and be eliminated then you have effectively lost £15.00 and given this to the winners.

Thus, you have risked £15.00 to win a further £5.00. Hence the need to be a 75% favourite and above to make this play profitible.

This concept only is relevant to DYM's and games where the prize pool is identical for the winning players such as sattellites.

There are further considerations such as chip value in relation to the prize pool where every chip has a monetary value but to go down that route I would need more ink in my keyboard! But basically if a player in a £15.00 chair has 1 chip, that chip is worth £15.00. if you have 1500 chips then your chips still total £15.00 and are worth 10p each. So you are only risking 10p against the opponents £15.00. But this I found to be extremely complex.

There, I let the secret out.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the advice Hale, appreciate it. I probably am playing slightly above my roll, however I personally just can't get motivated to play for under £20 in a stt. I used to play £55 and £110 but then dropped down after a bad spell and I now usually break even at the end of the week or make a slight profit or loss but am of course hoping to up my roi. I might drop down to £11, lets see. Oh, and interesting stuff about day and night play, I haven't checked to see if that is also true for me, I'll look into it. As for gamblers, trust me you'll find them on any level!
    Posted by JingleMa
    How much IS your roll?
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Is the forum helping my game? POLL : How much IS your roll?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Dude! you should know better than ask that.

It's like asking a lady her age!!
  • edited October 2009

Thanks for all the info Hale, very interesting.

I prefer shoving to calling on the bubble too, however it's (relatively) amazing how light people shove so it is possible to call in a lot of situations and easily be ahead.

But then that seat equity theory you point out does put a different angle on it.

And Dude, it's not the size of the roll that matters, it's how you use it! 8- />

(Thats what I keep getting told anyway).

• edited October 2009
    Thanks for all the info Hale, very interesting. I prefer shoving to calling on the bubble too, however it's (relatively) amazing how light people shove so it is possible to call in a lot of situations and easily be ahead. But then that seat equity theory you point out does put a different angle on it. And Dude, it's not the size of the roll that matters, it's how you use it! 8- /> (Thats what I keep getting told anyway).
    Posted by JingleMa
    Shhh, it's our secret, but honestly now, it's probably the biggest secret to success in these events.
  • edited October 2009
    I THINK THE FORUM HAS HELPED YOUR GAME AS IT SEEMS HAVING A BREAK IN BETWEEN GAMES OBVIOUSLY HELPS YOUR RESULTS.IM THE SAME IF I PLAY GAMES IN A ROW I EITHER TAKE THE LOSS INTO THE NEXT GAME AND PLAY TO TIGHT OR TAKE THE WIN IN THINK IM INVINCIBLE AND PLAY TO LOOSE.
    IN AMONGST THE ARGUMENTS AND OPINIONS THE ARE SOME VERY GOOD PIECES OF ADVICE TO BE FOUND. I PREFER TO PLAY MTTS BUT HAD BEEN RUNNING ICE COLD, NOTICED A FEW OR THE BETTER LEVEL PLAYERS WHEN GOING THROUGH SIMULAR PROBLEMS SAID THEY WENT TO THE CASH TABLES TO WORK AT THERE GAME WHICH WASNT SOMETHING ID THOUGHT OF AND ITS REALLY HELPED ME 
  • edited October 2009

I tried cash only once........

Really not my game, found it way too slow and boring. I tend to like the fast pace buzz of tournament games.

Is it me or does the timer bar go down slower on the cash tables? And with the multiple limpers I really struggle to focus.

• edited October 2009
    To answer the original question: undoubtedly, the forum helps to improve people's games. For many, they were not even aware that there was such a thing as strategy - the forum has undoubtedly opened many people's eyes in this respect.
    For others, they didn't have a clue about mathematics - they've seen some of the analyses on the strategy forum and it's made them think and ergo improve their play.

The downside is that the regular, knowledgeable contributors to the forum inevitably suffer. E.g I once wrote a piece on the 4 quartiles of an MTT; all the successful MTT players already knew what I put into the Sky domain, but many others didn't. The effect was that the newbiews could suddenly compete with the long-standing regulars on something approaching level terms (reading one of my articles won't make you beat Anjie1970 in a MTT, but just ask Anjie if she'd rather face me or the average player!)

Despite the influence of the Forum and the closer competition it generates, if you discard the 9pm event you still see the same faces in the last 10 or 12 at most tourneys. But the gap is getting closer.