You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK or AQ from the small blind

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
No hand example as i havent figured out how to post a hand yet but i have picked up a big ace in the small blind a few times in a cash game in a pot where there are 2 or 3 players already in the pot either limping or having called a small raise.

What is the best course of action here? Is it ok to flat here?
I've tried raising but usually get called by 2 or 3 players but if i miss the flop C bet and meet risistance can't help but feel im giving money away.

I usually play 5p/10p or 10p/20p if that makes any difference to the advice offred

Cheers in advance

James

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Hi James, great Question for your first post. An awful lot of people struggle with this play and I will give you my personal opinion which I learnt from a book of a great pro. AK Absolutely 3bet get the bet size then lead out and give up if need be....  the results you will yield doing this will be profitable. AQ is a different fish altogether. OOP flat especially at microstakes and pick up whatever pots you can. That being said, AQs pump it up, play it with a bit of confidence and remember poker is easy, raise or fold.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to AK or AQ from the small blind:
    No hand example as i havent figured out how to post a hand yet but i have picked up a big ace in the small blind a few times in a cash game in a pot where there are 2 or 3 players already in the pot either limping or having called a small raise. What is the best course of action here? Is it ok to flat here? I've tried raising but usually get called by 2 or 3 players but if i miss the flop C bet and meet risistance can't help but feel im giving money away. I usually play 5p/10p or 10p/20p if that makes any difference to the advice offred Cheers in advance James
    Posted by jams88
    Given my recent experiences with Anna Kornikova I'd say fold pre! lol

Seriously though, Yuran's advice is correct. Make sure your 3 bet and C bet are big enough to make the limpers think twice about calling down their flush and straight draws. Show strength and boss these hands. Readless, if your cbet gets raised by the original raiser you might have a problem but depends on the flop texture.
  • edited July 2011
    thanks guys i'll stick with trying the 3 bet and see what information i can get.
    if im still playng for much longer varience is killing me atm lost half my roll this week so i'll be smaller stakes for a while by the looks of it
  • edited July 2011
    difficult spot, no one ever believes the blind has a big hand when they raise multiple limpers. - always seem to get at least one stubborn caller. I agree with making it an expensive mistake for them to call you as you have to play the hand out of position
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: AK or AQ from the small blind:
    Hi James, great Question for your first post. An awful lot of people struggle with this play and I will give you my personal opinion which I learnt from a book of a great pro. AK Absolutely 3bet get the bet size then lead out and give up if need be....  the results you will yield doing this will be profitable. AQ is a different fish altogether. OOP flat especially at microstakes and pick up whatever pots you can. That being said, AQs pump it up, play it with a bit of confidence and remember poker is easy, raise or fold.
    Posted by yuranASSet

Hi, just wondered was the Pro Harrington? Do you rate his cash game books?
  • edited July 2011
    Havn't read Harrington's cash book. The pro in question was Ryan Fee's. Porbably the best cash book out there by a long shot, IMO.