You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Getting 2/3 streets of value from overpairs

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Just played a hand above my bankroll (fml yes im an idiot i know) From this hand and hands similar to this where i have a overpair and someone calls my flop c-bet, should i try and extract 3 streets of value or check the turn for pot control because good players won't call down 3 streets with just top pair, or is this just a cooler and im always doing the lot here or can i fold then turn shove? example is below, thoughts please...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCowgomooSmall blind £1.50£1.50£756.100mcBig blind £3.00£4.50£897.15 Your hole cardsKK   jakallyFold    LThomoLRaise £9.00£13.50£762.07ChemlstFold    CrazyBen23Raise £27.00£40.50£294.45CowgomooFold    0mcFold    LThomoLCall £18.00£58.50£744.07Flop  Q25   LThomoLCheck    CrazyBen23Bet £36.00£94.50£258.45LThomoLCall £36.00£130.50£708.07Turn  7   LThomoLCheck    CrazyBen23Bet £84.00£214.50£174.45LThomoLAll-in £708.07£922.57£0.00CrazyBen23All-in £174.45£1097.02£0.00LThomoLUnmatched bet £449.62£647.40£449.62LThomoLShow22   CrazyBen23ShowKK   River  4   LThomoLWinThree 2s£645.60 £1095.22Close windowNext

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I might make it marginally more pre but I dont think it would matter.  Not a lot wrong here, be nice to have reads on opponents jamming range at turn, but not having this, its going to be a call virtually all of the time, as your hand is under repped.  I think you know you shouldnt be checking the turn, betting flop is a must in most ways. 

Myself, I wouldnt be checking turn to vb river.  I think if you can get 3 streets take it.

UL sir
  • edited July 2011
    Don't really have any reads cos ive never played him before, i guess this is the most important thing though, against worse players i can get 3 streets with him having aq/kq/jq, no good player is jamming turn with aq/kq though... its so obv looking back on the hands and hands like this but when you have little time to make the descion on the spot its so much harder to fold
  • edited July 2011
    Standard stack off and reload - that's why ya manage yer bankroll!!!!
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Getting 2/3 streets of value from overpairs:
    Don't really have any reads cos ive never played him before, i guess this is the most important thing though, against worse players i can get 3 streets with him having aq/kq/jq, no good player is jamming turn with aq/kq though... its so obv looking back on the hands and hands like this but when you have little time to make the descion on the spot its so much harder to fold
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    All very true.

I didnt mean reads for people viewing the thread, meant for a person being in that hand vs opponent.  As you say, turn jam is very worrying, but its hard to run it in the short span of alloted time (again as you say).

I really dont think you did much wrong though, bet sizs are solid.  You cant get away once you bet turn, but you definately should be betting turn.

If you have significantly more, maybe £700 MB do you think you fold?
  • edited July 2011
    bet fold the turn without a read. 

what are you hoping to see?

if you aren't comfortable bet folding then check back and got for 2 streets of value not 3.
  • edited July 2011
    I think you played it fine. Turn raise is worrying, but I think if he raises 22 he can raise AQ I'm stacking off on this board readless. Deeper I would consider folding
  • edited July 2011
    Okay guys, thanks for all your comments, its the main leak in my game folding bloody overpairs, this hand and comments will make me think more about it in future
  • edited July 2011
    bet smaller postflop
  • edited July 2011
    bet smaller postflop
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Really?? why i thought played well up to turn hard to get away from but probably check turn for pot control and see what he does on river
  • ybyb
    edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Getting 2/3 streets of value from overpairs : Really?? why i thought played well up to turn hard to get away from but probably check turn for pot control and see what he does on river
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    well its a 3b pot and a very dry board so you can bet smaller to get value from a wider range and also to make our bluffs cheaper. I'd definitely be betting the turn because there's so much value to be had from weaker pairs. If the villain calls turn I'd bet the river also, as is though I think we can b/f turn readless.

Next time OP hide results to make sure you get unbiased replies.