You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help with KK played v badly

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceiluvlifeSmall blind £0.05£0.05£1.59applaudmeBig blind £0.10£0.15£7.67cBig blind £0.10£0.25£9.90 Your hole cardsKK   JDQuadFold    cCheck    WHISKEYJAKRaise £0.40£0.65£9.76iluvlifeFold    applaudmeFold    cCall £0.30£0.95£9.60Flop  956   cBet £0.50£1.45£9.10WHISKEYJAKCall £0.50£1.95£9.26Turn  6   cCheck    WHISKEYJAKCheck    River  7   cBet £1.60£3.55£7.50WHISKEYJAKCall £1.60£5.15£7.66cShowJ2   WHISKEYJAKMuckKK   cWinFlush to the Jack£4.76 £12.
Ok so I know I should have folded the river (I knew I was beat at the time but find it very hard to fold on these occasions when I know I originally had the best hand and lose way too much money here) and I think I know I should have bet the turn. But should I have raised the flop?

I have just finished reading Harrington on Cash Games and he bangs on about pot control and how any pair on the flop is still a small hand, and to try and keep the pot small by checking and calling (think this also influenced my turn check). But before reading this I think I would have raised flop (£1.50??), stopped his flush draw and won the hand. Also, is his bet on the flop what would be classed as a blocking bet?

Please be as harsh as possible cheers.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    i actually like the way you have played it, i think you have to call the river, looks fine to me.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Help with KK played v badly:
    . Ok so I know I should have folded the river (I knew I was beat at the time but find it very hard to fold on these occasions when I know I originally had the best hand and lose way too much money here) and I think I know I should have bet the turn. But should I have raised the flop?   I have just finished reading Harrington on Cash Games and he bangs on about pot control and how any pair on the flop is still a small hand, and to try and keep the pot small by checking and calling (think this also influenced my turn check). But before reading this I think I would have raised flop (£1.50??), stopped his flush draw and won the hand. Also, is his bet on the flop what would be classed as a blocking bet? Please be as harsh as possible cheers.
    Posted by WHISKEYJAK
    Pre 4x fine

Flop i bet more half pot giving him odds to call his draws- I prob bet />3/4 of pot

Turn - i prob bet out decent sive again - mayb think of folding to a raise

River - if played as above i dont think you would ave got there!

As played your hand is so under repped i dont think i can fold! But if villian is calling with J 2 suited I follow them around the tables! just make sure you take some notes

• edited July 2011
    I raise flop, then at least bet turn.

River is probably a fold for me.
  • edited July 2011
    His donk lead on the flop is normally a draw or a marginal hand such as 2nd pair or top pair with a weak kicker, maybe a pair and a flush draw, but either way you're ahead of all of those and happy to get the money in.

Turn is deffo a bet, if he turned trips he would continue to lead, the draw missed, and you are still ahead of top pair. 
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Help with KK played v badly:
    His donk lead on the flop is normally a draw or a marginal hand such as 2nd pair or top pair with a weak kicker, maybe a pair and a flush draw, but either way you're ahead of all of those and happy to get the money in. Turn is deffo a bet, if he turned trips he would continue to lead, the draw missed, and you are still ahead of top pair. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I do agree with betting the turn, but what do you do on the river, flat?
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Help with KK played v badly : I do agree with betting the turn, but what do you do on the river, flat?
    Posted by iBLUFF
    If you have bet flop + turn with a decent bet i think its ok to check fold river, every draw under the sun has come in
  • edited July 2011
    I would raise to a pound on the flop. He folds, so be it.

If he calls, I need to find out where I am with another considerable bet. At least then I have options. If he raises I would fold, calls then leads out I fold.

The way you played the turn here gave him lots of options, even if he only had the paired 9 he can lead out.
  • edited July 2011
    I would raise to a pound on the flop. He folds, so be it. If he calls, I need to find out where I am with another considerable bet. At least then I have options. If he raises I would fold, calls then leads out I fold. The way you played the turn here gave him lots of options, even if he only had the paired 9 he can lead out.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    why would you min raise the flop? you said to see were you are, but a min raise doesnt do that. any 2cards are going to call a min raise?
  • edited July 2011
    raise flop for value, bet turn for value, as played prob fold river but your hand is so underrepped I dont hate a call
  • edited July 2011
    i'd bet 1.30 on flop , bet turn

as played is a crying call really but would have played out completely different had you bet properly 2 streets, they probably dont go away but will give you more of an idea and its possible to fold when flush hits
  • edited July 2011
    Cheers for the feedback fellas.

For future reference does anyone know why the half the balances on the diagram are missing?