You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Empty the clip?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Not many hands but villain seems like a reg hasnt got out of line

I have opened a lot but none of my hands have gone to showdown. I havent cbet every time but I think I have won every pot I have put money in postflop. 2 hands he may have noted (neither involved villain). 1st was where I 3bet a mp open then cbet K77 2tone flop, took it down on blank turn. The other one I called pre on btn 3way and raised a cbet and call on a mid card board (Something like T75r, straight may have been possible cant remember) and took it down.

So, empty the clip or give up?
b Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £55.52
r Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £28.46
  Your hole cards
  • A

grantorino Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £74.31
sFold     
Call  £1.20 £2.85 £59.30
mFold     
b Fold     
r Fold     
Flop

grantorino Bet  £2.14 £4.99 £72.17
VCall  £2.14 £7.13 £57.16
Turn

• K

grantorino Bet  £5.35 £12.48 £66.82
Call  £5.35 £17.83 £51.81
River
  grantorino ? 

Comments

• edited July 2011
    There's alot of draws missed but I think you'll get called with any 10 that called you on flop/turn.

You've obv had a reason to fire two bullets vs opponent. but I dont see him being that strong here.  However if you've won every pot you've put money in to post, he may have the expectation that you'll keep firing. if you follow me.

I dont mind a c/f, but I certainly dont mind a bet of around £13 either.  Hard to say without dynamic.  But I think you are getting called more often than not. 
  • edited July 2011
    I would def fire again there my friend about £13 (lucky for some lol :)  ).

For one reason i dont really like leaving the cash behind when still in with a chance of taking it down and for another reason even if he calls your still getting paid alot more often in future once he sees your holdings, so only him check raising the river would result in it not being a win/win situation long term for you imo.

Jenny.
  • edited July 2011

Not sure I even bet the flop.

Problem is, that this board hits a calling range much more than it hits your range, you are OOP, and  there are very few cards which can land on the turn that help you.

• edited July 2011
    raise the white flag, ace high may be the best hand )
    You could be bluffing with the best hand
  • ybyb
    edited July 2011
    Why did you bet the flop?
  • edited July 2011
    go for it check to induce the bet then shove as if you hit your str8!!!

edit: he has A T or A 9
  • edited July 2011
    fold pre unless blinds are terrible or everyone is super nitty behind you, give up on flop.
  • edited July 2011
    Ok, lots of different points brought up so I'll put up my thinking through the hand

Pre, I think this is a standard open 200BB deep at a table where there has not been much 3betting going on

Flop, I dont always cbet this flop, I decided to here because I havent being cbetting 100%, I opened utg so I can have lots of strong hands here, and also villain wont have hit flop hard often imo so I can barrell certain turns. Agree it hits his calling range though

Turn. K is a pretty good barrell card. He folds some weak pairs and if he flats Im pretty sure hes not very strong and I can barrell blank rivers

River. I fire as I think he can fold Tx or worse. My range includes more strong hands than his imo at this point. I may have best hand sometimes, but not often imo and he may also try bluff me off it, I think he checks back lots of hands that beat me which fold to a bet. c/r seems bad to me as I dont think hes strong and a lot of the range that beats me checks behind

Thanks for replies so far, some good points, feel free to point out flaws in my thinking
  • edited July 2011
    i dont think its standard at all preflop UTG, even if there isnt alot of 3betting playing A4s oop profitably is going to be pretty hard unless people are playing super straight forward.

you say on the river  you bet becuase your range includes more strong hands that his at this point. yeah thats true but your average nl30 player doesnt care about your range, they only care about their 2 cards. i get the feeling that you are outleveing yourself on how good your opponents are, it seems like you are trying to play against someone who thinks like you do in regards to ranges, board textures etc when in reality they most likely arent
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Empty the clip?:
    i dont think its standard at all preflop UTG, even if there isnt alot of 3betting playing A4s oop profitably is going to be pretty hard unless people are playing super straight forward. you say on the river  you bet becuase your range includes more strong hands that his at this point. yeah thats true but your average nl30 player doesnt care about your range, they only care about their 2 cards. i get the feeling that you are outleveing yourself on how good your opponents are, it seems like you are trying to play against someone who thinks like you do in regards to ranges, board textures etc when in reality they most likely arent
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    yeah one of things I didnt really like too much here is that I have limited info on villain. I've seen enough to know he has some basic idea how to play and seems to have a fold button, but thats it really. I still think he will prob find it tough to call with a lot of what I expect his range to be, but you may be right

Opening Axs in this kind of situation is something I generally do, but tbh I havent thought too much about it. I dont recall it causing me too much trouble, but again it may be a leak
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Empty the clip?:
    In Response to Re: Empty the clip? : yeah one of things I didnt really like too much here is that I have limited info on villain. I've seen enough to know he has some basic idea how to play and seems to have a fold button, but thats it really. I still think he will prob find it tough to call with a lot of what I expect his range to be, but you may be right Opening Axs in this kind of situation is something I generally do, but tbh I havent thought too much about it. I dont recall it causing me too much trouble, but again it may be a leak
    Posted by grantorino

HI GT,

Felt obliged to put in my 2p as you ALWAYS give ME feedback. (which is VERY much appreciated!)
    I don't play cash so most of the nuances are lost on me but here goes...

1. You do realise it's A4 you have? I read thread quickly and thought you had AA lol!
    2. Assigning a range is way over my head but i'd say at V's calling it's looking like 77 or 88.
    3. I'd have been tempted to check the turn, but
    4  I'm def checking the river and folding to an all-in or, 
    5. I'm checking the river and poss shoving to a less than all-in (notwithstanding 2 above)

Prob not much help.
    pad

• edited July 2011
    wouldn't have plyed it like this but as you have, you might as well fire again on the river and hope he's got a9 or something and missed his draw.
    I wouldn't put too much in though, he's either got a missed draw and will fold for very little or he hasn't. Not worth risking loads for the same result.
  • edited July 2011

1. Im definely opening A4S this deep. (probably marginally +ev given 100bb stacks)

2. Im never c betting this flop at this level.

3. Once i get to the turn im betting this turn and river 100% if i think their a reg (would be better obviously if we had better reads) , im mean what good hands can they have?, anything good is raising the flop or at least the turn as there is tons of draws out there.
    Most likely a hand like T9,99 etc which is trying to get to showdown or to hit a straight,trips or two pair.

4. If they call with something like middle pair... you have just got your license to take this player to Valuetown :-).

• edited July 2011
    think there's a high enough % of the time villain will fold to 3barrels to make it a profitable play, but if i've learnt one thing from playing these sorta levels for quite a long time, it's not too bluff
    fwiw i wouldn't open pre either, not at this level and not if you've been opening a lot of pots recently