You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Took a Gamble - Should I?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
£1.10 Deep-stack. 89 runners. Was 17/30. Had played really well up till this hand and decided to take a punt.
Should I have shoved after the flop?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xJESUSx Small blind  150.00 150.00 6630.00
Glenelg Big blind  300.00 450.00 10477.50
  Your hole cards
  • A

tamz777 Fold     
thomas947 Fold     
jonsey40 Call  300.00 750.00 14490.00
BUILT4SIN Raise  750.00 1500.00 18850.00
xJESUSx Fold     
Glenelg Call  450.00 1950.00 10027.50
jonsey40 Call  450.00 2400.00 14040.00
Flop

• J

Glenelg Check     
jonsey40 Check     
BUILT4SIN Bet  1500.00 3900.00 17350.00
Glenelg Call  1500.00 5400.00 8527.50
jonsey40 Fold     
Turn

• A

Glenelg Check     
BUILT4SIN Bet  1500.00 6900.00 15850.00
Glenelg All-in  8527.50 15427.50 0.00
BUILT4SIN Call  7027.50 22455.00 8822.50
Glenelg Show
  • A

BUILT4SIN Show
  • A

River

BUILT4SIN Win Two Pairs, Aces and 10s 22455.00  31277.50

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Its not really a gamble mate you have top pair with the nut fluh draw GET DEM IN DA MIDDLE!
  • edited July 2011

Think you played this perfect!

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Took a Gamble - Should I?:
    Think you played this perfect!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ta JJ, Praise indeed!
    Would a shove on flop got him off tho?
    Pad
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Took a Gamble - Should I? : Ta JJ, Praise indeed! Would a shove on flop got him off tho? Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    When looking back at a hand, it's important that the result doesn't affect your analysis when deciding if you played it well or not.

So his cards and the result shouldn't matter......

You could check raise on the flop, this would be a fine play too......

Check calling is also ok, and the thing I like about the hand is when you hit the turn, you didn't get carried away and bet out, you continued to tell a consistant story and check to him again. If he had top pair on the flop, he will probably bet again to charge you if you have a draw....

Then you pull the trigger and make the shove. Maybe just check/calling again is right, but I don't think most players in this tourny will fold if they flop top pair.

------------------------------------------

But in answer to your question yeh shoving the flop would also have been ok, but I prefer this line as you have 25xbb in your stack on the flop.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Took a Gamble - Should I? : When looking back at a hand, it's important that the result doesn't affect your analysis when deciding if you played it well or not. So his cards and the result shouldn't matter...... You could check raise on the flop, this would be a fine play too...... Check calling is also ok, and the thing I like about the hand is when you hit the turn, you didn't get carried away and bet out, you continued to tell a consistant story and check to him again. If he had top pair on the flop, he will probably bet again to charge you if you have a draw.... Then you pull the trigger and make the shove. Maybe just check/calling again is right, but I don't think most players in this tourny will fold if they flop top pair. ------------------------------------------ But in answer to your question yeh shoving the flop would also have been ok, but I prefer this line as you have 25xbb in your stack on the flop.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks for taking time to reply. 

I found the bold bit really interesting as i've realised over the last couple of weeks when I look/study the clinic posts I think the full story "clouds" my decision making on the hands.
    I really like the 865 poker clinic where they blank out the "villains" hands. 

pad
  • edited July 2011
    I dont really like the flat on flop bud, I look to make a raise aiming to get it all in on flop.  You have a perfect rejamming stack on flop with plenty of equity.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2011
    fold or 3bet pre imo

as played I'd c/raise flop because we can get a lot of better hands to fold and will still have reasonably good equity if we get stacks in, and playing the turn can get awkward oop if we call the flop then miss.
  • edited July 2011
    Don't like the call pre if your playing that hand from what has happened before you i would 3 bet then yes shove the flop. But this is just unlucky the ace came on turn
  • edited July 2011
    Imo fold pre is the best option , as youve played the hand i woulda shoved flop and hoped ;)
  • edited July 2011
     C/R all in on the flop would be my preferred option. Got the most fold equity here and two cards to hit your flush. The 4000 chips in the middle is nearly a 40% increase on your starting stack and if you nick these by getting him to fold on the flop, excellent. If not, you've still got 2 cards to hit.
  • edited July 2011
    Snap fold pre.
  • edited July 2011
    Dont like any street here

Fold or 3bet pre, I would lean towards 3betting

c/r flop, you have fold equity and good equity when called

as played I cant see any reason to raise turn
  • edited July 2011
    I'd prob get in on flop shove after his bet with nut flush draw if you fancy going with the hand

I dont mind the call on bb with a suited ace, would prefer you to get it in on the flop as you have 2 cards to hit and also your opponent folds a good % of the time here for it to be good. if your going to go with nut flush draw on a dry flop just check raise all in but thats my opinion.

not worse play ever on turn just bad spot really, you dont need to go broke on it but if you know your behind and happy to gamble for flush thats your call
  • edited July 2011

Jam the flop.... then when he calls make sure you hit your flush...simple.

Calling the flop is ok if you are deeper, but this shallow, the inflated  pot reduces your options.
    It get's  to the  point that if he bets the turn properly (i.e. more than the 30% of pot that he bets because he has hit), he is committed to call even if you jam.
    Therefore you have little, or no, fold equity.

Once you call the flop, you are pretty much only going to win the hand if you hit
  • edited July 2011
    pretty much all has been said above / don't like your turn shove as youre not really gonna get called by a worse hand, c/c turn is the right play imo / when you do raise the turn what are you doing? raising for value? or is it a semi-bluff? if you flat you have disguised your hand and villain will never put you on A .. but i don't think how you played it is too bad / UL really