You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ACES BEATEN REGULARLY

edited October 2009 in Area 51

AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH ACE

1 HAVE LOST 9 OUT OF 12 IN THREE WEEKS

CAN SKY LOOK INTO THIS FACT AS IT IS MAKING THE GAME IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY IF U CANT TRUST ACES

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to ACES BEATEN REGULARLY:
    AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH ACE 1 HAVE LOST 9 OUT OF 12 IN THREE WEEKS CAN SKY LOOK INTO THIS FACT AS IT IS MAKING THE GAME IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY IF U CANT TRUST ACES
    Posted by BIGBOY468
    Hi
    how can sky look into it ?

if they can , is it ok sky for you to let me win every game i play in ?

ty sky
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to ACES BEATEN REGULARLY:
    AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH ACE 1 HAVE LOST 9 OUT OF 12 IN THREE WEEKS CAN SKY LOOK INTO THIS FACT AS IT IS MAKING THE GAME IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY IF U CANT TRUST ACES
    Posted by BIGBOY468
    Hi
    how can sky look into it ?

if they can , is it ok sky for you to let me win every game i play in ?

ty sky
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: ACES BEATEN REGULARLY:
    In Response to ACES BEATEN REGULARLY : Hi how can sky look into it ? if they can , is it ok sky for you to let me win every game i play in ? ty sky
    Posted by razorkev
    LOL....
  • edited October 2009

I posted quite a long reply over on another thread recently that I feel is equally as relevant here. Sorry about the multiple post Mods but for reasons I'm sure you understand, There is no need for anyone to go there again....

I have cracked aces about the same amount of time as I have had them cracked. People tend not to remember the winning hands, just the exceptional bad beats.

I too went through a spell where I thought the site was fixed or other players could actually see my cards or the community cards before they were dealt. It seemed to me that people were calling with hands like 4 2 and hitting straights even after raises. I (wrongly) assumed they must be able to see the cards or why would they call? I even used to run a virus checker before and after each session.

Unfortunately the simple reason for so many bad beats here is that poor cards are played by too many players. If you find that you are getting more bad beats than you recieve then ultimately you are playing the right cards at the right times.

Most of the time when you win a hand you dont get to see your opponents cards as they have been mucked so how many hundreds of times has your opponent been chasing that flush but missed on the river? Naturally you only remember the times he has hit as these are the only time you get to see his cards.

I like to see it like this, and it may help you at the same time.

'Bad players give bad beats. Good players recieve them.'

Been reading a book recently on poker that says you should actually like bad beats as it means you went in way in front so ultimately it will be a winning play.

The other thing is that people put too much faith in their own hand. How many times has anyone pushed all in with top pair and called by someone with another pair but weaker kicker only to find that kicker pairs as well? Thats not by any means a bad beat as 25% of the time you will pair your kicker.

Every poker site has a forum questioning the integrity of it. Sky also has area 51. Please dont get hung up on the site being fixed, It will seriously affect your game as you will feel the need to play any 2 cards. by playing more cards ultimately means more beats and in turn more anguish at this sites integrity. The best players in the world win less than 20% of the hole cards they have been dealt and will fold 75% of the time. I urge you to look in the game info tab on your next game and see how many flops you play. On a six seater table, I would strongly recommend you have a figure of 30% max. If I feel I have been playing too many flops, this is the first place I go.

Everyone here on the forum is entitled to his own opinion, this is mine, you have yours. I just urge you to resist the thought of this site being fixed as ultimately it will mean you no longer enjoy poker here, and whether you win or lose is irrelevant. The main purpose of playing poker is to have fun.

Ignore the bit about the site being fixed, I know you have not said anything like that, like I say, I am copying another post.

Yesterday for example, I found myself in the big blinds at 15/30 and had 4 limpers by the time the hand came round to me and I was holding pocket aces.  I knew I had to put an impressive raise in as against 4 callers even aces are next to useless. I raised 15 x bb (450 chips at level two) and still recieved 2 callers. Madness!!

What annoys me more, the board came all paint so I felt the need to push as I would have hated the outdraw of 2 pairs as by now I was obviously convinced one of them had something special. 2 insta folds.

Now both of these players may have had pairs of their own, but then again, they may have been calling with a range below a 15 x bb raise deserves.

One of the players in question went out with q 3, again after calling my raise of 5 x bb with AQ suited, we both hit the queesn and believe it or not, he never folded a single hand during the entire game.

The problem here is not that there is anything wrong with aces but the fact that raises are never respected so post flop, please do not too much faith in them. When they hold, yes, you can be massively paid off but when rags hit, they are difficult to see because you genuinly think after a raise and a low board, why would anyone call with such rubbish.

• edited October 2009
    By the way Kev, do you have that funny disease where you have to say everything twice, or is that a parrott on your shoulder.

Just kiddin mate,
  • edited October 2009
    At least he doesn't suffer from tourrette syndrome like some poster's on here.
  • edited October 2009

I know this will go down like a lead ballon, but sometimes when Aces lose we have to blame ourselves.

Imagine you make a Standard Raise with A-A, & this gets you, as it likely will, 2 Callers.

The Flop comes Paint-Paint-Paint - say, K-Q-J. How much do you like your Aces now? And if Mr K-J Calller check raises us, can we, will we, do we, Pass?

Or a 7-8-9 Flop, & villain had Ten-Ten. He's not THAT much of a dog now - he suere ain't Passing to a C-Bet, thats for sure.

Our Aces get beaten so much more than we think they should because we are soooooo reluctant to Pass them when the action gets heavy.

A-A is one Pair. How often, in a 4 hour Tourney or Cash session, do you flop 2 Pair? It's not THAT rare. ANY 2 Pair beats Aces.....

The inability to let go of Aces or Kings is almost universal, not just here at Sky Poker.

But every good player can do it. If they cannot, they only have themselves to blame.

In a multi-way Pot, Aces are not much of a favourite.

And in a theoretical Family Pot, where every single Player goes all-in, & you are last to speak, what do you do with your Aces now? Because, against the field, the Aces are now not even favourite

We have to learn to bin these big hands sometimes.

• edited October 2009

Spot on tikay,

People are starting to believe you know something about this game!

• edited October 2009
    At least he doesn't suffer from tourrette syndrome like some poster's on here.
    Posted by elsadog
    +1, HOORAY MY FIRST EVER ONE LINE POST!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2009
    The trouble is when a lot of players get dealt pocket Aces ( me included sometimes) they think they are automatically gonna clean up and are counting the winnings already, when they lose it can be devastating because often its either yours or your opponents entire chip stack involved. We will certainly remember that. In the long run we may win with aces say 100 times and still not win the tourny - easily forgotten as you remember the hand that puts you out, but lose 20 times and lose a packet you remember them much more as the consequences are more severe. Everyone really has to move on after a bad beat and get over it and remember its only 1, 10,  20 hands etc out of  
    just under 100 000 000.
  • edited October 2009
    'Bad players give bad beats. Good players recieve them. don't think its as simple as that Hale,anybody can give or receive a bad beat, also totally agree with Tikay,it is so hard to fold AA,i have done it but i have also gave all my chips away knowing i'm behind but unable to fold them.
    Posted by igimc
    I agree Igimc, it is not a hard and fast rule. Anyone can give bad beats and anyone can receive them. However from experience and I'm sure others will agree that if you play strong hands in the right position, you are less likely to give bad beats, whereas if you play weak cards out of position you are more likely to give them.
  • edited October 2009
    well  said   tk  to many  players on here  limp  in with  them   moan  when  they  get  beat   instead  of  puting  a  larage  raise  get   the  junk  hands  to  fold    at  the  most  u  want  two  callers     1  better
  • edited October 2009
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    F_E_R_G Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £62.99
    WildDog Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £47.87
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Trant Call  £0.50 £1.25 £17.70
    CASPER38 Fold     
    blkjack Fold     
    gilly128 Raise  £2.50 £3.75 £20.00
    F_E_R_G Fold     
    WildDog Raise  £6.50 £10.25 £41.37
    Trant Fold     
    gilly128 All-in  £20.00 £30.25 £0.00
    WildDog Call  £15.50 £45.75 £25.87
    Flop

Turn

• K

River

• J

WildDog Show
    • A
    • A

gilly128 Show
    • A
    • Q

gilly128 Win Straight to the Ace £43.95  £43.95
    An example to add fuel to the fire lol
  • edited October 2009
    unlucky  what  was  he  doing   playing  after flop  any  way   not  hit  or  connected  with  anything
  • edited October 2009

The initial play by the Ace Queen Is OK, He wasn't to know aces were round the corner. Nothing also wrong with the reraise.
    However, his re re raise all in is poor, he must have assumed you had at least some sort of pair or at worse AK. (bearing in mind the size of your raise.)

At best he must have put himself of a 50/50 against a lower pair. Against AK, Aces or Kings he's in real trouble.
    His move should have been to call the raise, see a flop then fold gracefully after missing. But personally, that's wrong and the fold ultimately is the best option.

Unfortunately, just an occassion when the 80/20 went in his favour.

• edited October 2009
    dont  agree with  u  there  hale  some  players  just   wont   fold   ak  or  aq   go  in to  cant  fold  wont  fold  mode
  • edited October 2009
    dont  agree with  u  there  hale  some  players  just   wont   fold   ak  or  aq   go  in to  cant  fold  wont  fold  mode
    Posted by scrumdown
    I agree, too many people just cant put those hands down. However, you have to ask, if the chips were not all in preflop, would they have folded on that nothing board to an all in bet then?
  • edited October 2009
    i  did  not  know  they went  allin  pre  flop   i would  have  called  his  re  raise  with   aq
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah just a bit of history from the table i had rr him twice previously within the last couple of orbits then bet him off on the flop so he thought i was reraising light pre flop so his allin was ok i thought. it was more like 90/10, maybe a bit less because he has 2 suited cards i think Hale so a bit ul but thats the game
  • edited October 2009
    Yep, your estimation was closer than mince. The exact odds are

Aces to win: 87.08%
    Lose is 11.54%
    spilt pot: 1.38%
  • edited October 2009
    aces do get beat regularly on here i agree,i fact i bet its about 1 in every four times!!
  • edited October 2009
    Pocket aces are only the nuts pre-flop, not post. As Tikay says, good players are able to get rid of big pairs at the right time. Simple.
  • edited October 2009
    aces do get beat regularly on here i agree,i fact i bet its about 1 in every four times!!
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    I'd like to think that, over time, it is closer to 1 in every 5 or 6 times.