You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tricky nl20 spot

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
villain isn't very good IMO, on a previous hand pre flop i had called previously with JJ and got to showdown so i wanted to raise and as im oop pretty standard. flop only 1 over so bet out after min re-raised bit weary, then he shoves do you call. i havent really seen him shove yet and tends to be pretty weak when i have bet him of pots generally on the flop though
YOUNG_GUN Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £25.41
SCOLLY Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £27.66
Wizkid88 Sit out     
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £28.49
MIKENJO Call  £0.60 £1.50 £6.58
Grafix Fold     
YOUNG_GUN Raise  £1.80 £3.30 £23.61
SCOLLY Fold     
xCall  £1.30 £4.60 £27.19
MIKENJO Fold     
Flop

• Q

YOUNG_GUN Bet  £2.80 £7.40 £20.81
xRaise  £5.60 £13.00 £21.59
YOUNG_GUN Call  £2.80 £15.80 £18.01
Turn

YOUNG_GUN Check     
x - all in

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Youve invested £7.50 so far here but this has got to be read dependant tbh he could have you crushed already xx
  • edited July 2011
    squeeze bigger pre, id prob c/c flop reevaluate turn. if ur calling his raise i dont think u can fold this turn card.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey Younggun.

Don't mind the 3bet pre with JJ but I'd personally make it a touch more as you're offering him £1.20 to call in to a pot of £3.30, so marginally worse than 3-1 pot odds. I'd make it more like £2.10-2.30.

Flop bet seems fine to me I'd c-bet this flop nearly 100% of the time and for about 60-75% of the pot, so we're in a tricky spot when he click raises. Your alternative for pot controlling is to check-call the flop and decide how to proceed on the turn.

You have three options on the flop, all of which have some merit.

Folding is fine if we just don't want to fight for the pot OOP for two more streets. We might be folding the best hand, but the decisions won't get any easier on the turn and river, so we're essentially playing for stacks with 2nd pair. Awkward.

Calling is ok, but if we do that I think I would rather b/f the turn than c/f it. Not that I like this play too much, but it's an option and probably better than just check folding the turn imo. If we're c/f the turn we should just pass on the flop.

Raising is a definite option but really depends on how likely he is to stack off with top pair, solid kicker. If he's a player you think could fold QJ/QT on the flop, then I'd think about jamming the flop. If he is capable of folding KQ I'd definitely jam. I imagine any 'not very opponent' snap calls the shove with AQ or a set, plus perhaps something like AKcc/AJcc, but do think there's some merit to considering the shove if we think he's not as strong as that.

Tough spot though. If pushed, I say fold, note the way the hand played out then try and 3bet him to isolate in pots when I am in position.
  • edited July 2011
    YG why are you raising pre? raising is ok, just not sure what you are saying in the first post. I usually would 3bet pre, not always too

b/f flop if you call flop raise cant see how you c/f that turn 
  • edited July 2011
    I called FWIW villain had 10s just went with gut and felt i was good and that they were bad enough to warrant the call
  • edited July 2011
    Raise bigger pre.

B/F flop.
  • edited July 2011
    If you call the flop you have to call the turn.