You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Skill and luck in poker

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi 

I was reading a few articles on poker and if is should be classified with other gambling games (such as rollette or blackjack) or if it should be thought of as a pure skill game like chess. 

I hear statistics ranging from 60% to 100% skill. I dont believe it is a pure game of skill (one article I read argued these lol). However, its seems to me that in the LONG RUN the skill factor becomes increasingly important. 

I know this is a really difficult question to ask, but I was wondering how much skill vs luck do you think there is in poker. Do you think the skill level increases over time (i think most people would say yes to this)

Also, do think there is more skill involved in texas holem (no limit) than other forms.  

Finally, it also seems to me the one of the most important (and hence skillful factors in poker), has nothing to do with the cards, or even how you play them - all pros need great bankroll managment skills. Do think the ability to manage your bankroll is the most skillful aspect to poker. 

Just curious on peoples thoughts on this

Comments

• edited July 2011
    i've always said 70% skill and 30% luck think including someone has a hand to pay you of probably 60/40 or nearer to 50/50

I agree that your skill should come through the longer you play the game if your a winning player if thats what you mean?

Holdem you have to be very skilful IMO as there is more info out on this so there is not as much edge, other games are equally skillful but your average holdem player is alot better.

BRM is the most important skill i've only just started getting used to this and it affects how you play, also it takes into account variance which is key so is definately the most important if you dont want to go broke. for example give Phil Ivey £10 to play 1 tourney he will go broke most the time, instead if he played 30p-55p games he would have more chance to build it
  • edited July 2011

Rather than give a random proportion of luck to skill like 80-20 or 70-30 i would take the question on differently.

In essence I might actually argue it is all skill, this is to say that in order to win in poker (and by win i mean over a huge sample size to consistently be a winning player) then you MUST have a skill edge. 

The question in my opinion is not about 'luck V.s Skill', but instead VARIANCE V.s SKILL EDGE.

What is the ratio of Variance to Skill Edge???
    In a cash game for example there are so many factors that effect your overall skill edge over a field.  
    A scenario where you might have very low variance and a huge skill edge e.g a 500big blind deep, 9handed cash game against beginners.

Basically i don't think luck in poker can be generalised and if you are looking for a conclusive figure you WILL be disappointed.. but to get an idea you need to estimate what effect variance has in the game your playing.

Long ramble..

• edited July 2011
    There is far more skill in other forms of poker hold em e.g omaha and stud.
    Skill is a factor otherwise you will be all in pre every hand, obv a degree of luck is involved as you need to hit your cards alot  of the time but the skill edge comes in on bet sizing pot controlling and betting players off hands your losing to.
  • edited July 2011
    i don't think you can even apply luck/skill to poker in general, you have to look at the specific game or tournament

tournaments in particular, some structures really dont lend themselves to 'skillful' play in that the blinds rise so fast correect play is to shove or fold very early on then it really comes down more to what cards you get or rather how your cards compare to the other cards held that hand
  • edited July 2011
    what is it they say, you can be the 11th best player in the world (very skillful) but if you sit down with 10 best you will lose!!  given the choice though i would rather be a lucky player than a good one!!
  • edited July 2011
    I would think over extremely long term it should approach 100%. But this would be a lot of hands, and when you have your luck makes a difference, I think luck is going to play a part in most players winrate, unless they are extremely high volume. More importantly, how you react to the variance is something you can control and will have a big effect on your winrate

I would estimate in the short term, over a good few hundred cash hands or similar in a well structured tournament it would be about  60-70% skill 30-40% luck (total guess btw could be way off). But players often overestimate their skill edge imo
  • edited July 2011
    i normally find winning players say its skill and losing players luck(bad). either way you got to enjoy it . learn to enjoy losing but dont enjoy it for too long!!!
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Skill and luck in poker:
    Rather than give a random proportion of luck to skill like 80-20 or 70-30 i would take the question on differently. In essence I might actually argue it is all skill, this is to say that in order to win in poker (and by win i mean over a huge sample size to consistently be a winning player) then you MUST have a skill edge.  The question in my opinion is not about 'luck V.s Skill', but instead VARIANCE V.s SKILL EDGE. What is the ratio of Variance to Skill Edge??? In a cash game for example there are so many factors that effect your overall skill edge over a field.   A scenario where you might have very low variance and a huge skill edge e.g a 500big blind deep, 9handed cash game against beginners. Basically i don't think luck in poker can be generalised and if you are looking for a conclusive figure you WILL be disappointed.. but to get an idea you need to estimate what effect variance has in the game your playing. Long ramble..
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    I get what you're saying and I'd have to agree. Don't think it's possible to say how much of a factor luck plays, depends on so many different factors, including how skillful you are! They both come together sort of, i don't even want to start explaining what I think, could be here a while and it probably wouldn't make sense. 
  • edited July 2011
    If you consistently get your money in good, which skilful players do, you will become a winner over time.

This is the same principle as the house hosting a roulette table. Over time, because the punters are constantly betting against the odds, they will make money.

However, this is only over a larger quota of hands. You do have to get lucky, or, rather, avoid being unlucky in each and every hand individually. After all, anyone can hit a miracle river card!

The odds however will look after you in the long run, you wont continue to get unlucky over time.

Trouble is, you have to have bank roll management skills to stop a bad run bankrupting you. Because everyone will hit a bad streak, just like a coin will hit 10 heads in a row if you throw it enough.

Impossible to quantify a percentage between skill and luck, but for certain there is a large element of skill.
  • edited July 2011
    I have always regarded it as 60% skill, 30% luck and 10% balls.

Luck is a big factor as nobody wins a tourney without a bit of luck along the way and you have to win your races.
  • edited July 2011
    You make your own luck.
  • edited July 2011
    The bigger skill edge you have the less luck you need over the course of time relating to cash
    In contrast you will need more luck if your villian has the edge over you

Everyone is equally lucky, swings and roundabouts
    Where skill is similar then variance will be applied )

To put a percentage on it I think it's more 10% luck - 90% skill

• edited July 2011
    hi im new to the forum but just wanted to say i think if you have skill and you play with skill then its more about getting unlucky, if your a good player you will play with good hands or bluff bad ones well if he senses weakness if you get caught on the river by a fish then thats unlucky even though you played the hand well so sometimes luck plays its hand but skillful players are more worried about getting unlucky, does that make sense lol???? anyway its great to be part of the community now and oi wish every gl on their poker journey lets keep learning n winning  :)
  • edited July 2011

I don't think anyone can put a number on the luck factor, but luck certainly is a factor in the short term. That is where bankroll comes into it, Poker is about winning over time. You can be a great player but if you're playing higher than you should be for the money you have, then you risk going broke.

I also think guts play a huge part, calling for your stack with 2nd pair because you're 99% sure it's good or putting someone to the test for all their chips on a bluff when you know nothing else will win the pot.

skill and luck are a factor but just plain guts shouldn't be under-estimated either

• edited July 2011
    Rather than give a random proportion of luck to skill like 80-20 or 70-30 i would take the question on differently. In essence I might actually argue it is all skill, this is to say that in order to win in poker (and by win i mean over a huge sample size to consistently be a winning player) then you MUST have a skill edge.  The question in my opinion is not about 'luck V.s Skill', but instead VARIANCE V.s SKILL EDGE. What is the ratio of Variance to Skill Edge??? In a cash game for example there are so many factors that effect your overall skill edge over a field.   A scenario where you might have very low variance and a huge skill edge e.g a 500big blind deep, 9handed cash game against beginners. Basically i don't think luck in poker can be generalised and if you are looking for a conclusive figure you WILL be disappointed.. but to get an idea you need to estimate what effect variance has in the game your playing. Long ramble..
    Posted by pr1nnyraid

+1 nice post... take it your a DC member?

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Skill and luck in poker : +1 nice post... take it your a DC member?
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Haha no im not actually that was off the top of my head, my only contact with DC is that stupid advert on the 2p2 pokercast.. "stay tooned for a message from the members of Deuc...."

Why you say that is there a similar strategy article??

Edit: just realised cos of my name..
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Skill and luck in poker : Haha no im not actually that was off the top of my head, my only contact with DC is that stupid advert on the 2p2 pokercast.. "stay tooned for a message from the members of Deuc...." Why you say that is there a similar strategy article?? Edit: just realised cos of my name..
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    You should check out the Deuce plays podcast if you listen to the 2+2 podcast for strategy advice.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Skill and luck in poker : You should check out the Deuce plays podcast if you listen to the 2+2 podcast for strategy advice.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Yea listened to that before.. with Bart Hanson. Its good i'll have to check it out again.