You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what is the stategy for a ten seater deepstack.

Now that the deepstack game are going to be ten seater tables, perhaps some advice from the better players on Sky Poker on the difference in playing ten seater tables may be helpful to the players like myself who have never played them.
I am sure that the community would be very helpful in giving advice in this area.

Bob

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to what is the stategy for a ten seater deepstack.:
    Now that the deepstack game are going to be ten seater tables, perhaps some advice from the better players on Sky Poker on the difference in playing ten seater tables may be helpful to the players like myself who have never played them. I am sure that the community would be very helpful in giving advice in this area. Bob
    Posted by apollo_11
    my advice... position position position

Try not to get involved early with marginal hands, and stay patient.

simples
  • edited October 2009

Early in the game, playing drawing hands (with position) in cheap multi-way pots can be very profitable.
    I include small pairs in my range of drawing hands at this stage.
    Many players still play the 10 seater too aggressively and a drawing hand can hit big and get paid.
    If you're playing a drawing hand the more players in the pot, the better. This means that you are more likely to get paid if you hit your hand. If you don't hit your hand you can get out with minimal damage to your stack. If you partially hit your hand on the flop (i.e. four to the straight and/or flush), you need to calculate the implied odds and make a decision.

• edited October 2009
    Excellent advice so far. Please keep it coming. Any advice would be useful.
  • edited October 2009
    i agree with mere, drawing hands like 78s and 910s are priceless early, however, try not to play them passively, play them strongly (be the first to raise), and your hand will be well disguised and you will get paid if paint comes once you have made your str8 or flush
  • edited October 2009

Apolllo - you asked the question on another Threads, here's a C & P of my reply there. Blend it with the other advice, & you are about here. But remember - ALL poker advice is situation dependent.

Hi Apollo,

I know you are fairly new here, & have been doing very nicely - nice one, & keep it up!

Right, the difference between 6 & 10 seaters.

Well it sounds like a statement of the obvious, but really, it boils down to this - you hav NINE opponnts on the Table, rather than five.

So......

1) Tighten up your starting hand range criteria a tad. On a 10 seater, A-Ten or A-J are MUCH weaker than on a 6 Seat Table, for example, & the same with Pairs - you can usually make a stand with, say, 8-8 on a 6 seater (depending on what the Betting tells you) whereas on a 10 seater, move that up to Ten-Ten or Jack-Jack.

2) One thing changes DRAMATICALLY in 10 seaters compared to 6 seaters - POSITION.

Ask ANY Pro, anywhere, what THE most important skill in poker is, & most wll say the same thing - POSITION! UTG (Under The Gun, = first to speak), in a 10 seater, I usually bin A-Ten down, & the same with small Pairs - just get rid of them. In LATE Position, these hands CAN be played strongly, because there is less chnce of someone behind you waking up with a hand.

That's about it really. More seats = more opponents, UNLESS you are in Late Position.

Position is THE most important skill to learn - but, oddly, 90% of players ignore it. And suffer accordingly. I cn ply 2-2 strongly on th Button in a 10 Seater, but UTG, it goes in the bin, because it's almost impossible to play fom there unless you hit your set.

Hope that helps - if you need more hints, just ask, as most of the regulars on here, including me, love to help other players. That's why it's such a great place to learn poker.

Good Luck.

• edited October 2009
    Hi Tikay

Thanks for the advice.
    Position, Position, Position seems to be the main advice from most players.
    I look forward to playing in the deepstacks when my bankroll inproves again.