You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who says the Irish are stupid?

edited July 2011 in The Shed
I went 'down south' as they say here in the North of ireland for a long weekend with a couple of mates. We planned to do some golf, some drinking and a bit of fishing. i dont fish but i dont mind going along for a few drinks if its a nice day. We came to a lovely village in Co donagall, it had a river and we asked at the local shop if there was any fishing nearby, you have to ask these things as fishing without a permit is akin to murder in the fishing community, some good stretches cost hundreds a day in fees. The shop keeper told us that a local farmer allows people to fish on his land for a fee and gave us directions. After travelling a country mile we met the farmer and he did indeed allow fishing. he told us it was 10 euros a day and directed us to the river. he said you can only fish on the near bank and not to fish or talk to anyone on the far bank, we thought this was strange but thought it must be a local quirk or something. We got to the river bank, it was about 10 yards wide and there were about 8 locals fishing when we arrived. We picked our spot, my friends set up camp and cast off. On the otherside of the river were 3 or 4 others fishing. We got chatting to one of the other fishermen near to us and we told him about the farmer and what he said. The local laughed and said 'yeh thats right, he says that all the time' I said 'why?' the local then said 'its because they're tourists, usually American and we're local' I said 'what difference does that make?' he said 'about 40 euro a day' so thats why he didn't want us talking to them lol. Has anyone else been anywhere that have differing rates for the same thing?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Who says the Irish are stupid?:
    I went 'down south' as they say here in the North of ireland for a long weekend with a couple of mates. We planned to do some golf, some drinking and a bit of fishing. i dont fish but i dont mind going along for a few drinks if its a nice day. We came to a lovely village in Co donagall, it had a river and we asked at the local shop if there was any fishing nearby, you have to ask these things as fishing without a permit is akin to murder in the fishing community, some good stretches cost hundreds a day in fees. The shop keeper told us that a local farmer allows people to fish on his land for a fee and gave us directions. After travelling a country mile we met the farmer and he did indeed allow fishing. he told us it was 10 euros a day and directed us to the river. he said you can only fish on the near bank and not to fish or talk to anyone on the far bank, we thought this was strange but thought it must be a local quirk or something. We got to the river bank, it was about 10 yards wide and there were about 8 locals fishing when we arrived. We picked our spot, my friends set up camp and cast off. On the otherside of the river were 3 or 4 others fishing. We got chatting to one of the other fishermen near to us and we told him about the farmer and what he said. The local laughed and said 'yeh thats right, he says that all the time' I said 'why?' the local then said 'its because they're tourists, usually American and we're local' I said 'what difference does that make?' he said 'about 40 euro a day' so thats why he didn't want us talking to them lol. Has anyone else been anywhere that have differing rates for the same thing?
    Posted by loonytoons
    Lol.

I went to watch my beloved Northampton play away at Grimsby two years ago. It cost the home fans £10 to get in, yet for us it cost £20.

Bloody northerners eh!

Ah well we won 2-1 and virtually confirmed their relegation. Happy Days ;)
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Who says the Irish are stupid?:
    In Response to Who says the Irish are stupid? : Lol. I went to watch my beloved Northampton play away at Grimsby two years ago. It cost the home fans £10 to get in, yet for us it cost £20.   Bloody northerners eh! Ah well we won 2-1 and virtually confirmed their relegation. Happy Days ;)
    Posted by splashies
    Nice fish n chips tho !!!!!
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Who says the Irish are stupid?:
    In Response to Who says the Irish are stupid? : Lol. I went to watch my beloved Northampton play away at Grimsby two years ago. It cost the home fans £10 to get in, yet for us it cost £20.   Bloody northerners eh! Ah well we won 2-1 and virtually confirmed their relegation. Happy Days ;)
    Posted by splashies

But everybody has beaten my mariners for the last four years, so it's nought special. Like dohhhhhh says though, "great fish n chips" down on Cleethorpes prom
  • edited July 2011
    Paddy tells Mick  "I picked up an Irish Girl in Al's Bar and after a few drinks I took her out back, "she said." have you got protection. "I said, why are the I.R.A. after me." ? 
  • edited July 2011

Many years ago I used to deliver to a cafe in the West of Scotland that had clearly displayed in the back shop two menus and price lists, one for "locals" and one for "others" with a differential of about 10-20p per item.

Don't you just love the tourist industry! And we wonder why people don't want to come to our country????
  • edited July 2011
    John Wayne WAS IRISH/AMERICAN in this film!!!

here's a scene......just after they Smash thru the back of the BAR..................

Ho fargin Hum!!!!

Last 20/359 mini-open !!!    LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!
    HITMAN_RV Small blind  800.00 800.00 23787.50
    Quietman Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 64399.25
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

Jeno2 Fold     
    marsh08 Fold     
    OhMyGosh Fold     
    HITMAN_RV Raise  4000.00 6400.00 19787.50
    Quietman Raise  12800.00 19200.00 51599.25
    HITMAN_RV All-in  19787.50 38987.50 0.00
    Quietman Call  10187.50 49175.00 41411.75