You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM Bubble play

I come across a situation regularly where 2 players have approx 4000 chips each and me + other opponent have around 2000. Blinds are 200/400 or 300/600 so a significant chunk and ur in blinds every 2/4 hands.  2x big stacks fold and other shortie jams pot and I have a hand where I'd shove with it but hate calling with it eg Q8, K7 etc etc. I know a fold and I'm on life support while other shorty has breathing space. Is it an insta call and cross fingers time or can a fold be justified with the theory of 'better to get chips in first'?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    pet peeve of mine, no need for it get to 300/600 on a dym, wheres the skill there?

• edited June 2009
    gotta fold really m8, but know wot u mean u cant wait 4 a hand but callin with ur q8.k7...... 8 6s then maybe ;)
  • edited June 2009
    like u say ur running out of time, so u wont get the chance to put ur chips in good/ahead but if u can pass and go heads up with a random hand(after pushing) its better than callin with ur k7 etc imo
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not calling with those hands even though they may be 'live' cards. Fold and see what happens in the next hand. It's better to get in first with those hands and ask the questions of the others. For me at that stage it's push or fold every time.
  • edited June 2009
    I think you have to call, you have to ride your luck on that one - as your likely to be behind. But given the blinds, you may not have long before your all-in automatically anyway. I'd much rather be well behind in a hand that - if won - would give me a competetive stack, than having something half decent - KJ for instance, all-in on the BB, even if you double up - you're still way behind everyone else - and looking for another good hand.
  • edited June 2009
    It's a very interesting post. I play mostly DYM tournies these days because I don't have the time for the big MTT's. I too very often find myself as short stack with one other (I'm refering here really when the short stacks are 1-2k and the large stacks are circa 4-5k) and the main problem you have is that both the large stacks will often call your all-in at this stage for 2 reasons:
    1: It's a low size risk for them, as they can afford to lose and still have a decent shot at cashing (against the other short stack), plus they know because of your situation you won't usually be calling with a premium hand (desperation)
    2: There will often be a "team" approach by the biggest two stacks in trying to elinimate you. They will both gain in equal measure, and this is where I find DYM's are unique and it's why I enjoy them.

Therefore I'd be very reluctant at that stage to go all-in unless I had a decent chance. Obviously the shorter your stack against the big blinds, the more likely you will get called.

It's incredible that even though there are two short stacks who are on life support, I've seen so many times the two large stacks clash and go all-in against each other. It's crazy but I see it a lot, albeit I don't tend to play anything over the £10 version and very rarely get to 300/600 levels