You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Set vs Set

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Ok, here is the situation. 10 man fully seated cash game, mid stakes. All players involved in the hand that follows are all about 100BB deep. 

In mid position I have TT and when folded round raise 3BB. 

Player on button calls (has shown a reasonably wide calling range on the button and wanting to play every button). 

SB folds, then BB puts in a pot size bet as he has done on many times in his BB. 

I re-raise the pot again, button player calls and BB folds.

The pot is now about half our respective stacks (if I remember rightly). Flop comes KQT rainbow. 

Not wanting any draws to come along with my set of T’s I shove all-in (making it an overbet), button player thinks for a bit and calls with his set of K’s. Just for information the rest of the cards are blanks.

I have always thought it is best to get it in with set, but could I have got away from it? The question I have is, was I overaggressive or unlucky?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Imo unlucky , set vs set is just a cooler , you said after it all went in the other two cards were blanks so i dont see how you woulda got off the hand anyway.Kinda suprised the button only flatted your 2 raises b4 the flop so i dont see how you coulda put him on KK anyway xxx
  • edited July 2011
    either way you were unlucky, doesn't matter whether you were over aggressive.
    you had your reasons for 4betting pre and them reads seemed right, it isn't ideal too have over half your stack in pre and still have to play a flop, but as it happens you hit a nice flop and nobodys ever gonna fold a set of 10s there! 
  • edited July 2011
    Set over set you should lose your stack.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Set vs Set:
    Set over set you should lose your stack.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    In this situation yes but not always the case
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Set vs Set : In this situation yes but not always the case
    Posted by Batkin88
    Well maybe super super deep with crazy solid reads built up over 100's of thousands of hands played but most the time you stick it in and say well done mate. :)
  • edited July 2011
    a set in a single raised pot 100bb deep is 99% of the time a stack off.

so a set in a 4bet pot is just the easier stack off in the world.

i think the main talking point in the hand would be whether 4betting pre is profitable, and if so i think your sizing is probably non optimal
  • edited July 2011
    a set in a single raised pot 100bb deep is 99% of the time a stack off. so a set in a 4bet pot is just the easier stack off in the world. i think the main talking point in the hand would be whether 4betting pre is profitable, and if so i think your sizing is probably non optimal
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    What about the call , twice with KK ??  is this really what to do ?? xxx