You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

STT advice for when blinds get silly

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've been playing a lot of STTs at the lower stakes and the late stages of these can get really dull. I played a 6 max SnG last night and with three of us left the blinds were 100/200 and we each had around 3k. Top two are paid out.

I find it really frustrating when I get card-dead in these situations. Can't just fold because I get blinded out. So last night I just decided to go mental. There was a lot of limping going on and then checking it down until a bet on the river so I shoved every button and every big blind if the button and small blind had limped. Regardless of cards. I would fold the small blind in the hope that dealer and BB would clash and I would make the money.

My question is, is this a reasonable stratergy at this stage in a SnG?

I play a live game with friends each week and the first hour or two are fun because people have enough big blinds to actually play poker. But we frequently get to the point where the average stack is around ten big blinds and everyone is still in. The tournament often last almost another hour like this while people limp and wait to hit a flop.

How do people play this stage of a SnG STT if everyone at the table is happy to limp call with < 10 BB?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    In Response to STT advice for when blinds get silly:
    I've been playing a lot of STTs at the lower stakes and the late stages of these can get really dull. I played a 6 max SnG last night and with three of us left the blinds were 100/200 and we each had around 3k. Top two are paid out. I find it really frustrating when I get card-dead in these situations. Can't just fold because I get blinded out. So last night I just decided to go mental. There was a lot of limping going on and then checking it down until a bet on the river so I shoved every button and every big blind if the button and small blind had limped. Regardless of cards. I would fold the small blind in the hope that dealer and BB would clash and I would make the money. My question is, is this a reasonable stratergy at this stage in a SnG? I play a live game with friends each week and the first hour or two are fun because people have enough big blinds to actually play poker. But we frequently get to the point where the average stack is around ten big blinds and everyone is still in. The tournament often last almost another hour like this while people limp and wait to hit a flop. How do people play this stage of a SnG STT if everyone at the table is happy to limp call with < 10 BB?
    Posted by jugglegeek
    You must be playing low stakes to begin with this wont happen at £10 STT.

If people keep limping punish them dont raise every hand as even stupid poker players will soon realise your at it! but i'd say on average push once an orbit + with big cards, I think 3 handed at this stage almost any Ace is good enough,K10+, any pocket pair.

At a late stage in a STT there's easy chips to be collected. Remember one win is better then two seconds
  • edited July 2011
    its all about shoving and calling spots, blind on blind 10 x shove with any over average hand. just pay attention who is folding to the money and just shove into them alot. Button or sb best places to shove can do with any 2 depends on whether you know the villains calling range and whether its a good move in the long run.

the shortstacks you only want to raise into with Ax or a hand that will play well generally once they get below 5-6bb they will be commited to call, better to play against similar stacks who will not risk it and dont want to tango with you
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks for the help guys. I played my weekly game today and got short stacked when the blinds were 500/1000 I had 9K and with three limpers before me I decided that I was getting good odds to shove from the button with A2s, got it through and significantly increased my stack. I went on to win.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: STT advice for when blinds get silly:
    Thanks for the help guys. I played my weekly game today and got short stacked when the blinds were 500/1000 I had 9K and with three limpers before me I decided that I was getting good odds to shove from the button with A2s, got it through and significantly increased my stack. I went on to win.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Excellent WP