You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

dym first hand - could i have played this worse if i tried.

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
The_Don90 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1990.00
CM0304 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

2high75 Fold     
gazz121 Fold     
lwchef08 Call  20.00 50.00 1980.00
BReal Raise  100.00 150.00 1900.00
The_Don90 All-in  1990.00 2140.00 0.00
CM0304 Fold     
lwchef08 Fold     
BReal All-in  1900.00 4040.00 0.00
The_Don90 Show
  • K
  • A

BReal Show

Flop

• A

Turn

River

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 6s 4040.00  4040.00

hmmm i dont know what to say. Usually i ignore this due to being results orientatied. however i think this is badly played all round. opinions would be apprechiated.

£1.15 dym

no notes btw.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    i actually dont hate it - 75% of the time the raiser will fold.

If not at worst your flipping most the time. If your happy to get it in with a flip this early its not terrible.

Hope you went on to win it!
  • edited July 2011
    The guy should have snap folded pre, so hope you made a note.

I would probably just flat in SB here.
  • edited July 2011
    Depends what level it is?
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: dym first hand - could i have played this worse if i tried.:
    Depends what level it is?
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    lol £1.15 read the OP
  • edited July 2011

Nothing wrong with the play and as first hand he prob thought u had nothing so just called then run into AK, he should of folded
    Is this part of your sky roller journey?

• edited July 2011
    nah i just fancyed a couple of dyms last night, i havent started my sky roller jeourny yet.

ty for comments. i didnt go onto cash. bubble we where all pretty even guy limp stacked with 30 more chips than me with KJs v my AK. he flopped the nuts. gg me. chip leader v 2nd in chips 30 chip differance on the bubble tho says it all.
  • edited July 2011
    I think its marginal shoving here really, i'd prefer to 3 bet to 300 and call shove if you think he's that bad. if he calls hit or fold

not worst shove but bit early in dym even fold could be better but all depends on the villain obv and if i think they would call AQ< i shove. if they are calling pp im not shoving(obviously this may not be known)
  • edited July 2011

I've forgot how to play these but don't think a shove can be bad?

If he calls with 55 he calls with AQ.....

But if he calls with 22-QQ and AK/AQ.,.....do we want a call??????? prob not, so does that make a shove bad?

I dunno, turbos ftw, no thinking involved ;)
  • edited July 2011
    the thing is, you dont want to be leaking chips

AK is a drawing hand so for me, its either call and fold to aggression if miss or shove

i dont like raise to 300 then having to fold when miss - if going to raise to 300 and not fold when miss, may as well shove pre
  • edited July 2011
    as its a £1 dym im guessin ur gettin called pretty light here

what equity does AK have vs the range u think ud get called by?

tbh i dnt think its gonna be big enuf considering that in these games u shud have a big edge

i dnt think we av alot of f/e as i dount many ppl 5x/fold in these

• edited July 2011
    I've forgot how to play these but don't think a shove can be bad? If he calls with 55 he calls with AQ..... But if he calls with 22-QQ and AK/AQ.,.....do we want a call??????? prob not, so does that make a shove bad? I dunno, turbos ftw, no thinking involved ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    assumin we av no f/e then yeah this wud b bad
  • edited July 2011
    was really hoping that you or JC would comment Shanxta

Yeah as you said low stakes i know i have a massive edge. But when playing this for some reason i just wanted to be able to sit back. So i took the gamble of first 50/50 and then sit back. It obv came first hand on this case.

I agree its pretty bad looking back on it. Hese why i posted it. Before hand as i said in OP i won the hand i played it perfect. Clearly i didnt.
  • edited July 2011
    i think its the hardest thing for new players to learn the difference between winning the hand and making the right play

like they make a terrible call, catch a bluff, and reinforce in their head that the call was right
  • edited July 2011
    i think its the hardest thing for new players to learn the difference between winning the hand and making the right play like they make a terrible call, catch a bluff, and reinforce in their head that the call was right
    Posted by Codex
    defo a correct observation codex thats taken me far too long to learn.
  • edited July 2011
    Theres only so many mistakes u can make when u shove preflop with AK.

Look at the blinds, it's level 1, 10-20 and you're still 100bb deep. He makes it 5x (a fairly big raise), I'm happily raising to 12-14x for value despite being in the SB. You crush his range so hard from the button (and the fact its a microstakes game).

But instead you opted for a 100x shove - a little odd and it thins his calling range ALOT, and so you lose alot of value from his weaker hands alot of the time. When you do get called it's probably evens on whether u are winning/losing/flipping.

Try not to over complicate a very simple hand!