You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

knowing whens best to move onto better tables

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
ive been playiny poker for quite sometime now and often play on the 2-4 pence tables and recently finding them to easy and winning quite easily, but to me the game seems so much different from that table to the better tables is this time to move on and learn more?????

Comments

• edited July 2011
    If ya crush this level then YES move up , dont bother with 4/8 its virtually the same so start at 5/10 and see how ya go gl xxx
  • edited July 2011
    B/R Management move up and down levels to suit your roll, its the same game at all levels but very different players 
  • edited July 2011
    I would want to be winning consitently over around 10,000 hands, and if that has been happening then also have 20 BI's for the next level so for 8NL - £160 or straight to 10NL - £200. This will ensure you play properly as BR won't be an issue and won't affect your plays.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: knowing whens best to move onto better tables:
    B/R Management move up and down levels to suit your roll, its the same game at all levels but very different players 
    Posted by shipdchips
    Soz but it aint the same game at all levels and if ya dont realise this ure in for serious trouble xxx
  • edited July 2011
    thank you for all your feed back much appreciated.
  • edited July 2011
    I would want to be winning consitently over around 10,000 hands, and if that has been happening then also have 20 BI's for the next level so for 8NL - £160 or straight to 10NL - £200. This will ensure you play properly as BR won't be an issue and won't affect your plays.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    How long you been playing NL4 for now? How you getting on? ready to move up?
  • edited July 2011
    i think table selection when moving up is the most of importance. what i would recommend doing from my own downfalls in moving up is scouting the higher limits and discover the fish and regs before you even try to junp up. WEATHER YOUR ROLLED OR NOT!!!!
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: knowing whens best to move onto better tables : How long you been playing NL4 for now? How you getting on? ready to move up?
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Well I recently got to the points I wanted to for the month on the 20th July (1000) which gives me a boost up to £176.22 total. I could of continued I guess but felt like a break so have been playing MTT's for about a week or so with a seperate BR and will continue on the 1st of next month at 8NL, but of course not many tables run so it'll most likely be 8NL x 2 and 4NL x 2 at a time.

Some will say don't bother with 8NL but I'm a dirty nit and would rather just build up the 3 BI's and then do it properly with a full 20 behind me. :)

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: knowing whens best to move onto better tables : Well I recently got to the points I wanted to for the month on the 20th July (1000) which gives me a boost up to £176.22 total. I could of continued I guess but felt like a break so have been playing MTT's for about a week or so with a seperate BR and will continue on the 1st of next month at 8NL, but of course not many tables run so it'll most likely be 8NL x 2 and 4NL x 2 at a time. Some will say don't bother with 8NL but I'm a dirty nit and would rather just build up the 3 BI's and then do it properly with a full 20 behind me. :)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Excellent work,

I've been playing quite alot of NL10 recently and you can easily win 5-10 over 6 tables in a couple of hours.

They just like NL4 players but now they think they can bluff! We prob bump into each other fairly soon
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: knowing whens best to move onto better tables : Excellent work, I've been playing quite alot of NL10 recently and you can easily win 5-10 over 6 tables in a couple of hours. They just like NL4 players but now they think they can bluff! We prob bump into each other fairly soon
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Yh from short sessions I've watched on Mastercash nights there doesn't seem to be many Phil Ivey's there lol

I suppose bluffing might start happening more, it's probably the one thing I'll have to adjust to but in general can't see it being crazy scary till around NL30.

Tbh if I'm playing right I should never even play you. ;)
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to knowing whens best to move onto better tables:
    ive been playiny poker for quite sometime now and often play on the 2-4 pence tables and recently finding them to easy and winning quite easily, but to me the game seems so much different from that table to the better tables is this time to move on and learn more?????
    Posted by andy198426
    I'd be cautious about moving up.
    At the very top levels, very good players are playing each other all the time and have very little edge, if any. Why would anyone with sense do this? Ego perhaps? They may be good poker players but they're certainly not that bright!

There are some very skilled players making £100-£150/day tax free playing a lot of 10NL and 20NL tables. They do this for a living. They're the bright ones in my opinion and you'll soon run into them. At least one of these people has posted on this thread. He's easily good enough to play at higher stakes but chooses not to.

Take them on, but be prepared to lose, wonder what you've done wrong, feel that your luck will change, then continue losing for a while before you either adjust or step down again.

Good luck and keep enjoying it.
  • edited July 2011
    nl4,8 & 10 are literally all the same IMO

play whatever your bankroll suits if you have enough give nl20 a shot if you lose a few buy ins go to nl10
  • edited July 2011
    nl4,8 & 10 are literally all the same IMO play whatever your bankroll suits if you have enough give nl20 a shot if you lose a few buy ins go to nl10
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Dunno how long ya played but they aint the SAME , nl10 defo has better players xx
  • edited July 2011
    i must agree with yg and don here, the standard of play from nl 4/8/10 is pretty constant, its not the levels that you play that makes the difference its the regs playing them. like bigbluster says there are half a dozen players at nl20 that could  play a much higher level and im sure ther are at nl10. if your going to move up to any level watch the tables for a while, might be boring but will save you a lot of money. ob things to look out for are how many tables they are playing. just remember you have good players at all levels , just try to avoid them. nb you got greghogg playing nl4 at mo and dohhh will reg play nl20 as examples of of players playing slightly inside themselves :-)
  • edited July 2011
    NL4 there are more bad players
    NL8 & 10 is the same
    just less bad players