You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is there any way I could fold the river here?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #397318409 (12:18 30/07/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
golf76 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.27
Chaptahfam Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.56
  Your hole cards

ballboy Fold        
keegans91 Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £6.25
jugglegeek Call   £0.12 £0.30 £3.82
golf76 Fold        
Chaptahfam Call   £0.08 £0.38 £1.48
Flop

• A

Chaptahfam Check        
keegans91 Bet   £0.23 £0.61 £6.02
jugglegeek Call   £0.23 £0.84 £3.59
Chaptahfam Call   £0.23 £1.07 £1.25
Turn

• A

Chaptahfam Check        
keegans91 Bet   £0.55 £1.62 £5.47
jugglegeek Raise   £1.10 £2.72 £2.49
Chaptahfam Fold        
keegans91 Call   £0.55 £3.27 £4.92
River

• J

keegans91 Bet   £2.92 £6.19 £2.00
jugglegeek All-in   £2.49 £8.68 £0.00
keegans91 Unmatched bet   £0.43 £8.25 £2.43
keegans91 Show
  • A
  • J

jugglegeek Show

keegans91 Win Full House, Aces and Jacks £7.63   £10.06

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I know it's a cooler. But the reason I min-raised the turn was to see how big his ace was. I think that this player folds A8 and bellow since he's clever enough to work out that my min raise puts me on an ace as well.

He just calls this suggesting to me that he has a big ace. When he shoves on the river it's a big over bet with a flush on the board for him to just have trip aces. I thought he might have made the nut flush and was betting into what he thought was trip aces with a big kicker.

With the bet being so big on the river, could/should I have folded there? Or does he show up with a flush or trips often enough to make it worth calling over time?
  • edited July 2011
    i think its a definate call but i raise more on the turn as you want to get as much money in as possible so that you can bet bigger on the river without it looking odd
  • edited July 2011
    raise flop - money in on turn

just ul

no you can't fold river
  • edited July 2011
    Raise flop, bet/shove turn, win moniez.

DO NOT fold river, you have nutz enit.
  • edited July 2011
    I did have a reason for not playing the agressive. With two opponents I didn't want to scare either off by re-raising. I put them on an ace and a flush draw each. Then when the turn comes I want to rep the ace to scare off the flush draw but I didn't bet two big because I didn't want to scare off a hand like A6, in fact I wanted to represent a bit of weekness to try and induce an all-in, either on the turn or on the river with a hand like AK, AQ or AJ.

That he just flat called the turn and then shoved the river made me think instantly about AJ. But I called anyway. Just a cooler I guess. I've not played on sky for about four months because I was sick of getting bad beats on the river. I just put a fiver on while I'm at my g/f's house because you can play through the browser.

I guess in a world of constant change and uncertainty, it's nice to see that the doomswitch at Sky Poker is always going to be left on.
  • edited July 2011
    Seriously don't over think this much at NL4.

All this 'not wanting to scare them off', 'wanted to represent weakness', 'induce an all-in'. It's all for the higher levels, when you flop a set at NL4 first scream YES !! very loudly then keep betting big till you run out of pennies, DO NOT worry about 'scaring people off'.
  • edited July 2011
    why do you want to scare off a flush draw on turn when you already have a boat?

raise flop for value

I raise turn bigger, but with your stacksize that size is prob ok

river is the snappiest of snapcalls
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Is there any way I could fold the river here?:
    I did have a reason for not playing the agressive. With two opponents I didn't want to scare either off by re-raising. I put them on an ace and a flush draw each. Then when the turn comes I want to rep the ace to scare off the flush draw but I didn't bet two big because I didn't want to scare off a hand like A6, in fact I wanted to represent a bit of weekness to try and induce an all-in, either on the turn or on the river with a hand like AK, AQ or AJ. That he just flat called the turn and then shoved the river made me think instantly about AJ. But I called anyway. Just a cooler I guess. I've not played on sky for about four months because I was sick of getting bad beats on the river. I just put a fiver on while I'm at my g/f's house because you can play through the browser. I guess in a world of constant change and uncertainty, it's nice to see that the doomswitch at Sky Poker is always going to be left on.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Don't worry about scaring someone off you raise for value.
    If you do this on the flop or turn does not matter, if the player has a hand that will pay you off then the turn ain't going to make much differance apart from kill your action if a flush comes in. They either have a hand or not, get your money in good.
    Your set on the flop is not big enough to be slow playing with a wet board.
    If this board was dry then to balance your play you can slow play the flop and underrep your hand sometimes.

But it's NL4, no need to overthink it when players will stack off there with an ace as they will put you on the flush draw if you raise flop.

Get your raises in when you think your ahead
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Is there any way I could fold the river here?:
    In Response to Re: Is there any way I could fold the river here? : Don't worry about scaring someone off you raise for value. If you do this on the flop or turn does not matter, if the player has a hand that will pay you off then the turn ain't going to make much differance apart from kill your action if a flush comes in. They either have a hand or not, get your money in good. Your set on the flop is not big enough to be slow playing with a wet board. If this board was dry then to balance your play you can slow play the flop and underrep your hand sometimes. But it's NL4, no need to overthink it when players will stack off there with an ace as they will put you on the flush draw if you raise flop. Get your raises in when you think your ahead
    Posted by rancid
    1st bold bit : I hope this is NOT meant for NL4 as when you hit set on NL4 you ALWAYS bet DO NOT slow play period.

2nd bold bit : They don't put you on flush draw lol they put themselves with top pair/nutz and aren't folding, they couldn't give a flying frog what you have.
  • edited July 2011
    You're just meant to go broke on these hands. Note: I think the villain played it well too.