You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Breaking even

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've pretty much broke even this month although feeling like I've been hit with a massive cartoon sledge-hammer on every important hand. Doooonkkkkk. Wee yellow birdies whose name I forget flying about my head. Cuckoos? Budgies? Go d a m I'm drunk, I can't remember their name. Not important really, my point is it's been pretty harsh at times.

Seriously. But it has to change shortly.

Is this a good time to turn pro?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    August is always a good month to turn pro.

I got drunk last night also, just to make sure Im not hungover on August 1'.

• edited July 2011
    Variance/bad luck/tilting and playing like a donk, what ever you want to call it (usually a combination of both in my case) can be a pain.

I've had it for three months, I keep managing to somehow claw back my losses by the end of the month to break even but this month i'm going to be down.

The past few days have been much better though, it might be due to the fact i've dropped down to nl4 and i'm managing to get paid much more when i've got the nuts which is nice.

I hope next month carries on like the last few days. i'm getting bored with being able to tell what's going to happen in each session before it starts.

It's mainly happened like this..........

1. Start the session, play as good as I can, get my money in good, get unlucky and lose some big hands.
    2. Start to tilt due to losing these big hands.
    3. Start playing worse, try to bluff too much due to not geting any cards and get caught out.
    4. Go and have a break
    5. Come back, play better and win back some of my losses

Repeat these 5 steps every time I play.

• edited July 2011
    Breaking even is fine mate, I'd imagine losing consistently would be a lot harder to take.

I also think it will change given time, but it depends what games you play, in MTT's you can run like a cri-pple for 20 or so games easily without cashing once then next game when you've lost all hope you suddenly bink a nice win to erase all that pain.

However if your losing consistently in cash over say 10,000 hands at a certain level than I would advise moving down as variance overall is vastly reduced in this format and any long term loss has to be down to lack of ability or maybe even bad play on your own part.
  • edited July 2011
    You already ARE even.
    Mike Caro wrote an interesting essay on this. Google "mike caro you are even" and hit the first link.