You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet or Check and how much?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Mid range in deepy, no notes on player but have seen them shove 20k over a 600 raise and call but no hand seen.

Make standard raise pre after limp then bet on good flop.

Turn brings 3rd heart, pot 4200 with 10k behind can I bet/fold here or is check/fold better or is that too weak ?

Nadz007 Small blind   100.00 100.00 8670.00
Dudeskin8 Big blind   200.00 300.00 11977.50
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

woods01 Fold        
NavahoJohn Fold        
x Call   200.00 500.00 19745.00
karl88402 Fold        
Nadz007 Call   100.00 600.00 8570.00
Dudeskin8 Raise   600.00 1200.00 11377.50
x Call   600.00 1800.00 19145.00
Nadz007 Fold        
Flop

• A

Dudeskin8 Bet   1200.00 3000.00 10177.50
x Call   1200.00 4200.00 17945.00
Turn

Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited July 2011
    check and see what he does
    he can only bet a flush here or ace big heart :S

checking here makes you look strong not weak :)
  • edited July 2011
    Yep, i prob check here too. You have top pair with a decent kicker with a flushing board, its time to try and control the pot. On the surface of it, it looks like a weaker ace.

You need to keep this pot small now, get to showdown cheap as poss. You've not done too much damage to your stack, your extremely comfortable, if he shoves then you live to fight another hand. In my opinion, you need more than top pair, decent kicker to get too fruity against another big stack on a flushing board.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much?:
    check and see what he does he can only bet a flush here or ace big heart :S checking here makes you look strong not weak :)
    Posted by rancid
    How on earth does checking make you look strong? Why can he only bet a flush or A with big heart?

bet 2500 fold to a raise
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much? : How on earth does checking make you look strong? Why can he only bet a flush or A with big heart? bet 2500 fold to a raise
    Posted by grantorino
    agreed - if you c/c turn what do you do on the river? c/f or c/c? both are bad, b/f turn around 2K, probz c/f river
  • edited August 2011

You seem angry, not taking your pills ?

So you say bet a quarter of your stack and hope he folds :S

Think this is a bit spewy considering his stack size.

In these kind of situations I think checking can be good, and yes if you did have say Kx of heart you would be inclined to check sometimes and bet others.

Maybe if he was deeper he could lead out.

Think he gets the same answer by checking that he would do with a bet.

Can’t see many reasons to bet here? Can we really bet for value, maybe on the river if he checks back turn.

I think if he bets turn then it’s got to be to get chips in middle.

Lets say he bets and he calls, what then – we can’t bet again so we gotta check the river :s

Either way it’s horrible OOP, but I think checking here is fine

Calm down it’s only a game )

• edited August 2011
    You seem angry, not taking your pills ? So you say bet a quarter of your stack and hope he folds :S Think this is a bit spewy considering his stack size. In these kind of situations I think checking can be good, and yes if you did have say Kx of heart you would be inclined to check sometimes and bet others. Maybe if he was deeper he could lead out. Think he gets the same answer by checking that he would do with a bet. Can’t see many reasons to bet here? Can we really bet for value, maybe on the river if he checks back turn. I think if he bets turn then it’s got to be to get chips in middle. Lets say he bets and he calls, what then – we can’t bet again so we gotta check the river :s   Either way it’s horrible OOP, but I think checking here is fine   Calm down it’s only a game )  
    Posted by rancid
    Not angry, sorry if it came across that way.

Agree its a tricky spot, its not so much the fact you check I disagree with. You say checking looks strong here. How? Why can he only bet big hands when we raise pre, cbet flop, then check turn.

We can definitely bet turn for value, but I do agree its tricky to play river afterwards, I prob c/f it usually, even though I'd be pretty tempted to shove a non heart river

On turn c/f sounds too weak, I dont think we can c/c twice, and imo b/f turn will be more profitable than c/c turn ,give up on river
  • edited August 2011
    whats this guys range and how we doing against it?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much? : Not angry, sorry if it came across that way. Agree its a tricky spot, its not so much the fact you check I disagree with. You say checking looks strong here. How? Why can he only bet big hands when we raise pre, cbet flop, then check turn. We can definitely bet turn for value, but I do agree its tricky to play river afterwards, I prob c/f it usually, even though I'd be pretty tempted to shove a non heart river On turn c/f sounds too weak, I dont think we can c/c twice, and imo b/f turn will be more profitable than c/c turn ,give up on river
    Posted by grantorino
    i think i would bet the turn for value and if i did check the turn it would be to chk/raise shove
  • edited August 2011
    also, by betting the turn, it could make similar hands, e.g. AJ, AQ fold if they don't have a heart ... cheapest and most profitable method imo
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much? : Not angry, sorry if it came across that way. Agree its a tricky spot, its not so much the fact you check I disagree with. You say checking looks strong here. How? Why can he only bet big hands when we raise pre, cbet flop, then check turn. We can definitely bet turn for value, but I do agree its tricky to play river afterwards, I prob c/f it usually, even though I'd be pretty tempted to shove a non heart river On turn c/f sounds too weak, I dont think we can c/c twice, and imo b/f turn will be more profitable than c/c turn ,give up on river
    Posted by grantorino

Just saying that if you turn a big or nut flush you will check sometimes to extract value. 
    So using them thought lines a check here will either be looked at as weak or very strong, KQh.
    If the guy has Ax and your ahead you really think he is going to be betting here or shoving facing a check on a turn like that. 
    What percentage of the time will this guy bet here as a bluff ?
    So your b/f to a bluff or he has you beat - or you get him to fold Ax which you beat ! Not much value there, unless he is a station and will call you down :s
    Why not c/f to a bluff or he has you beat - same thing but you don't loss a quarter of your stack
    Can we c/r shove his bet - yeah we can if you think he is semi bluffing with a heart or just Ax.
    You may bet 2500, but also betting here can look weak, what are you betting here - a weak flush - Ax :S
    Kinda opens you up to a move doesn't it

Honestly if he was deeper I don't mind the lead, as we get called by Ax or A heart and we can get some value without risking too much of our stack
    But putting a quarter of your stack as a b/f, not even a semi bluff with a heart to me just does not seem right
    So with that in mind I am leaning towards checking as I think it also gives you more options 

Think we agree to disagree )

• edited August 2011
    • In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much?:
      In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much? : Just saying that if you turn a big or nut flush you will check sometimes to extract value.
      I wouldnt, but I suppose some players would
        So using them thought lines a check here will either be looked at as weak or very strong, KQh. If the guy has Ax and your ahead you really think he is going to be betting here or shoving facing a check on a turn like that. 
      If hes good( which I doubt) he wont bet worse Ax. He will bluff sometimes, or bet worse pairs with a heart, especially if he is bad. He prob shouldnt bet many worse hands with showdown value, but that doesnt mean he wont.

What percentage of the time will this guy bet here as a bluff ? So your b/f to a bluff or he has you beat - or you get him to fold Ax which you beat ! Not much value there, unless he is a station and will call you down :s

I expect someone who limpcalls pre to call with worse Ax and some draws, maybe even worse pairs. I dont think he bluffraises often enough to make betting bad

Why not c/f to a bluff or he has you beat - same thing but you don't loss a quarter of your stack Can we c/r shove his bet - yeah we can if you think he is semi bluffing with a heart or just Ax.
    Because he calls with lots of worse hands

You may bet 2500, but also betting here can look weak, what are you betting here - a weak flush - Ax :S Kinda opens you up to a move doesn't it
    Well I would bet sets, 2pair, big Ax, flushes , some draws, maybe even air sometimes. Yes he may make a move, but checking makes it pretty easy for him to make a move
    Honestly if he was deeper I don't mind the lead, as we get called by Ax or A heart and we can get some value without risking too much of our stack But putting a quarter of your stack as a b/f, not even a semi bluff with a heart to me just does not seem right So with that in mind I am leaning towards checking as I think it also gives you more options  Think we agree to disagree )
    Fair enough
    Posted by rancid

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check and how much?

Good points well made Gran, I can see the benefits in what your saying
    Your comment regarding him limp calling - yeah he could  so easily have worse and call with a heart
    So these worse hands do seem to be a high persentage of his range
    And you say he is bad because of the limp which is fair comment

Be intresting to see what happened

• edited August 2011
    Decided to check which was probably wrong.
    Turn

Dudeskin8 Check        
    x Bet   1200.00 5400.00 16745.00
    Dudeskin8
  • edited August 2011
    Decided to check which was probably wrong. Turn     10       Dudeskin8 Check         x Bet   1200.00 5400.00 16745.00 Dudeskin8
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    wow thats a weak bet or a thin value bet
    think you can call this, dodge a heart on river and your ok

guess you call, check river and he shoves :S or bets like 2400