You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Approach to cash games for decent MTT player

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Blocked mate, come on ? lol

Comments

• edited August 2011

Anyone can play tournaments ;)

Before every bet, ask yourself if you're betting for value, (u want a call) or a bluff (u want a fold)

Can he fold better? Can he call with worse?

Ask those questions before every bet, and ull be alright to crush small stakes on here :D
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Approach to cash games for decent MTT player:
    Nothing specific here, just general advice. I doubt if there are more than 30 people who are better all round MTT players than me on this site, but there are about 3000 who are better cash players. Something seriously goes wrong when I cross over. In MTTs I'm very dangerous when I get a stack. Yet in cash games the same general approach - basically bullying - doesn't work. I get called down; they seem to (at least it feels like it) hit the nuts more often; people who are not as good as me technically, mathematically, theoretically or strategically take my money. I understand the fundamentals about playing good hands in position etc etc but something is seriously going wrong in my strategic approach. Classic example - squeezes are a good weapon in the armoury in MTTs but never seem to work in cash. What's going on?
    Posted by BigBluster
    wow, how do you know this? It seems a doubtful claim given they take your money.

Dohs advice above is good
    Cash is tougher to play due to stack depth.
    Generally cash players adjust better imo, its harder to just bully them.

Squeezes prob work better in mtts in general, because people are more afraid to go broke, and often its difficult to flat a squeeze because of stack depth. Also they usually have had less table time with you. They work in cash as well, but you need to be careful who you do it against and in what situations

Some advice (you may already know all this):
    1. Dont bluff until you know other player is not a fish
    2. Play most of your hands straightforwardly until you have reads on villains. Same applies for squeeze plays- dont squeeze light against shorties
    3. Have a plan for the hand, especially where you are calling pre. Dont call just because you have AJ or whatever
    4. Post hands. I havent read many books lately, but for online 6max cash forum advice (esp on other forum you mention in another thread) is nearly always better than books ime. Books usually are good, but I never read a published one that really seemed up to date for online cash
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys. I've taken them on board.
    Studying a few hands recently from 5/10, I think the problem is around pot control. I tend to make too many c-bets, too many double-barrels and end up pot-committing myself. I win the majority of the pots I play with this style, but then can lose my buy-in on a JJ v 45s hand when the villain will hit. Even if this villain doesn't hit, then the next one will.

I expect to lose some hands like this in MTTs, but by then I've usually got a bigger stack and can recover. In cash...BOOM!