You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

stack building advice

hi guys,

I play poker online and live on a regular basis, usually 4-5 hours a day if not more. However my problem remains. I usually play tournaments which i prefer, i always like being in a game for longer and find it more interesting with the blinds going up every so often. However im very good at holding on and winning hands. However my weakness is that as the blinds go up i have less and less Big Blinds left. As much as my stack usually gets bigger and better, the blinds often go up quicker. I find i havent played a stupid hand or lost many big ones, i just cant build a stack high enough to finish off strong, often going out soon after hitting the money.

Can anyone offer me advice so that i can go from a money based player to a winning player please.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2009
    This is common for money players moving to tourneys. Often, they don't know how to 'change gears'.

There are 'inflection points' (Google the term) in every tournament. These inflection points are usually governed by the number of big blinds you have but can also be governed by bubbles. Basically, they indicate that you should be playing looser as the blinds increase and look for fold-equity - i.e. first-in all-in situations.

E.g. You have 50 big blinds in your stack and are UTG. You may call with KJo (folding is perfectly OK) but you MUST shove all-in with 4 big blinds unless you're at a specific inflection point (laddering up on the final table perhaps).

There are different zones prescribed:
    Green zone - 15 big blinds or more. Play your normal game but be cautious if at the lower end of this range.
    Amber zone 8 -15 big blinds. Loosen up considerably, play speculative small pairs and suited aces from any position.
    Red zone 4-8 big blinds - Move all-in on any pair, any ace, any K, any two rainbow, if no-one has acted before you.
    Dead zone 0-3 big blinds - Move all-in with any two cards above a 6 or, if you're facing the big blind next hand, any two cards.

And always remember - NEVER be afraid to go out on the bubble. Play very aggressively at this point. Some players will think you're a suicidal maniac, but you want to have a decent stack to aim for the win, not gutlessly limp into the money. It will pay off in the long term.

Whole books have been written about inflecton points. 1995 WSOP main event winner Dan Harrington believes that inflection point play is the most important skill a MTT player can have.

Hope this helps.
    BB
  • edited October 2009
    thank you. Ill probably try and get a shot of that book to read up properly.

You spotted what i think is my biggest problem straight away once i hit the bubble i conserve and limp into the money then hit aggression.

Possibly my main problem is, is probably play poker for a living, as a result getting into the money feels a safer option than going gung ho for the win. As where as in the lower paid tournaments i have a better succsess rate possibly because i dont feel like im losing as much. Maybe i need to change my mind set lol.
  • edited October 2009

You should be looking to take the blinds three times every two circuits, if you can do this you will gradually continue to increase your stack along with the blinds, just a piece of advice i always keep in mind in tourneys.

• edited October 2009
    Thanks, i am getting better at bluffing and stealing blinds, find it easier when on the button or closest playing player to the button for obvious reasons. I have found that this has been a great help on a more passive table, which has certainly helped me in the "Double Your Money" sit and gos.