You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO4 Is there a better line on the river

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancechrisbhoySmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.37dadov7Sitout    ameliorateBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.99 Your hole cards73A9   littleor1Call £0.04£0.10£3.88chrisbhoyCall £0.02£0.12£4.35ameliorateCheck    Flop  648   chrisbhoyCheck    ameliorateBet £0.12£0.24£3.87littleor1Fold    chrisbhoyCall £0.12£0.36£4.23Turn  Q   chrisbhoyCheck    ameliorateBet £0.36£0.72£3.51chrisbhoyCall £0.36£1.08£3.87River  Q   chrisbhoyCheck    ameliorateBet £1.08£2.16£2.43chrisbhoyFold  
Villain called full pot flop/turn and i expected them to call full pot on river but they didn't is there a better line with no reads?  

With such a massive draw I'm always being aggressive in spots like this

Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Can't fault the way you played it at all. Unfortunately Chrisbhoy is a good player and would have sussed out the better hands than his. A lot of others at this level would have snap called but you just got unlucky with that opponent.
  • edited August 2011
     I will go through this hand piece by piece to give you all of thinking on it.

Preflop: marginal hand so definitely not worth raising so all good there.

Flop: Virtually the flop you were looking for with an OESD and NFD. What you should be doing here is betting out and you did so with a good strong pot sized bet. So once again all good here.

Turn: This is a total blank.So what you should be doing here is betting out again especially now you are heads up. And you did with a good strong pot sized bet.So all good here.

River: This is not a great card for you because although it completes your NFD it also pairs the board and therefore bring in all manner of boats to the equation.This is a time for caution because the check calling range does include 44 or 66 which would now have you crushed.So for me this would be a check behind with very good showdown value.

The purpose of any river bet is to either get a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call to maximise your value. Because of the strength you have shown on all streets it is highly unlikely that you will get a worse flush to call on this scary river(unless you are playing a complete newbie).Also there is no way that you will get someone with a weak boat to fold. So effectively you are turning your nut flush into a bluff at this time. To get a weaker hand to call a river bet you would have needed to bet less to seemingly price them in but this would then open up the check/raise which would leave you unsure as to your standing in the hand. It is for these reasons that i said the check behind is the move because you are either crushed or too far ahead to get paid properly.

Hope this is of some use.