You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Office bet: Managerial Last Longer - Mancini vs Dalglish

edited August 2011 in The Football Corner
I've taken a small bet with a work colleague on a managerial last-longer.

Dalglish v Mancini.

Who would you chuck your money on?

(It was an even money bet and I took Dalglish, for the record...)

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Kenny without a doubt, with the record he has, the loyalty of the fans who let Benitez stay far longer than he ought to and the owners who seem to have common sense and I think recognise continuity rather than a chop-and-change policy that happens at City then yeah I'd have my money on KK.

Having said that, I think City will win the league this year so Mancini has another year at least ahead of him I reckon.
  • edited August 2011
    MANCINI city will be top 3 all year  and will make 1/4s at least of champions league which will buy him the time he needs.
    whereas daglish must get off to a good start or the pressure will be on from the owner who has basically said that liverpool must qualify for the champions league and with united,city and chelsea going to finish above them there in a fight with arsenal and spurs for fourth.
    dont think he will be fired but if hes not getting it right he will know and walk for the good of the club. 
  • edited August 2011
    Has anyone heard what City's mandate is for the season; I know it was to get a minimum of fourth last year but now they are there and have seemingly stepped up to be title contenders, do you think the owners will demand a good title shot along with a good CL run too for Mancini to keep his job?
  • edited August 2011
    Dalgliesh will last longer than Mancini. The new yank owner is pretty loyal in america for the boston red sox franchise and after letting Kenny spend £100 million on players i think he's in for the long term.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Office bet: Managerial Last Longer - Mancini vs Dalglish:
    MANCINI city will be top 3 all year  and will make 1/4s at least of champions league which will buy him the time he needs. whereas daglish must get off to a good start or the pressure will be on from the owner who has basically said that liverpool must qualify for the champions league and with united,city and chelsea going to finish above them there in a fight with arsenal and spurs for fourth. dont think he will be fired but if hes not getting it right he will know and walk for the good of the club. 
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Seems wise to me. Liverpools transfer policy since Dalglish took over is insane. They have paid way over the odds for a number of players which will translate into pressure for the Scot. This coupled with the fact that Man City can always outbid them and afford better wages means they are practically guaranteed success. It's just a sick money game now. But Liverpool took the sentiment way out. Dalglish has been out of management for a long time. There is a reason for that too. He didn't retire because he had won it all.
    I think Liverpools fans are trapped in a 70's-80's nostalgia trip. Martin O'Neil was  the answer to their problem.
    " walk for the good of the club ", you say....BINGO it's practically pre-ordained imo.
    His consolation will be that he'll never walk alone tho ;)
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Office bet: Managerial Last Longer - Mancini vs Dalglish : Seems wise to me. Liverpools transfer policy since Dalglish took over is insane. They have paid way over the odds for a number of players which will translate into pressure for the Scot. This coupled with the fact that Man City can always outbid them and afford better wages means they are practically guaranteed success. It's just a sick money game now. But Liverpool took the sentiment way out. Dalglish has been out of management for a long time. There is a reason for that too. He didn't retire because he had won it all. I think Liverpools fans are trapped in a 70's-80's nostalgia trip. Martin O'Neil was  the answer to their problem. " walk for the good of the club ", you say....BINGO it's practically pre-ordained imo. His consolation will be that he'll never walk alone tho ;)

Posted by BLACK_MASS

Having watched both Liverpool games in the Premiership I would say that they will struggle to get into the top four. Andy Carroll is/was not the answer and Liverpool have continued to try and adapt their style of play to suit. They will always have an uphill battle if they go behind. Kenny will come under pressure and to answer the question, Mancini will last longer at Man City     

• edited August 2011
    Yeah I still believe if progress isnt made at City this season by winning another title or making a great run for the prem league or even CL then I can see Mancini coming under pressure.

Dalglish's situation is different at Liverpool, everyone there knows its a work-in-progress and that continuity breeds success so he'll be given time.
  • edited August 2011
    Kenny is so much more important to Liverpool than Mancini is to Man City
  • edited August 2011
    Kenny is so much more important to Liverpool than Mancini is to Man City
    Posted by MP33
    Only if he gets Liverpool into the champions league. If he fails to do this at the end of the season after the money they've spent then he becomes a liability and as mentioned before , will walk for the good of the club.