You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do you put villian on here?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #399584796 (22:50 05/08/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jonah54 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.66
jordakiss Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.47
  Your hole cards
  • A

jugglegeek Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.01
dlsmithy Fold        
x
Call   £0.10 £0.28 £2.56
jordakiss Fold        
Flop

• Q
  • A

x
Check        
jugglegeek Bet   £0.14 £0.42 £3.87
x
Call   £0.14 £0.56 £2.42
Turn

x
Check        
jugglegeek Bet   £0.40 £0.96 £3.47
x
Call   £0.40 £1.36 £2.02
River

x
Check        
jugglegeek Bet   £0.72 £2.08 £2.75
x
Fold        
jugglegeek Muck        
jugglegeek Win   £1.25   £4.00
jugglegeek Return   £0.72 £0.11 £4.72

Comments

• edited August 2011
    In Response to What do you put villian on here?:
    Hand History #399584796 (22:50 05/08/2011) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance jonah54 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.66 jordakiss Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.47   Your hole cards A 6       jugglegeek Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.01 dlsmithy Fold         x Call   £0.10 £0.28 £2.56 jordakiss Fold         Flop     3 Q A       x Check         jugglegeek Bet   £0.14 £0.42 £3.87 x Call   £0.14 £0.56 £2.42 Turn     9       x Check         jugglegeek Bet   £0.40 £0.96 £3.47 x Call   £0.40 £1.36 £2.02 River     7       x Check         jugglegeek Bet   £0.72 £2.08 £2.75 x Fold         jugglegeek Muck         jugglegeek Win   £1.25   £4.00 jugglegeek Return   £0.72 £0.11 £4.72
    Posted by jugglegeek

All through this hand I though I was going to get raised each time he checked. I don't normally play raggy aces at this level but I had possition so I thought I'd give it a go.

Is this just a case of a player with KJ or KT calling every street waiting for that gut-shot?
  • edited August 2011
    More importantly, what do you put him on on each street?
  • edited August 2011
    People will say loosen up you sad freak but I would personally just open fold A6o here, even if you hit TP you could end up betting off a large amount to a guy with a better kicker. If it was suited then I'd be more inclined but I would also make it at least 4x pre as 12p doesn't have much effect down here, you got one caller here but on full tables you can get 2/3 easily.

As played flop bigger - 23p

Turn - good.

River - fine.

As for what he has who cares ?
  • edited August 2011
    I don't like it...

1. i would instantly fold A6 o/s in ep. ( i know we are five handed, but i hate raggy o/s aces because they lead to so much trouble!

2. Your betting three streets for value on a dry board. So, if he is bad enough to call you down with a "Q" or a "3" or  or something like KJ then your bets are fine. But often he will have a better ace. Im not sure i like betting every street. But thats just me.  

Its all about putting the villain on a range based on his previous play, and also you need to know if he is good enough to have an idea of your range too. So you cant put him on a precise hand, you have to put him on a range of hands while you are making your bets.

fwiw My best guess of his holding here the way the hand has been played would be KJ, fishin with a gutshot lol. I doubt he would fold a "Q" if hes gonna station the flop and the turn
  • edited August 2011
    I too would open fold A6o normally. However this table was happy to limp everything but the second there was a raise pre-flop most times it would be folded around. I actually did this just to see if I could pick up the blinds.

But when I hit the ace I thought the guy would bet out with an ace. Most hands had been limped pre and then whoever had hit would generally bet first and then get called.

I bet thinking that he would have bet with an ace. But for him to check call every street didn't make any sense whatsoever.

I've been playing well on these tables recently. I find that a better way to play is to play looser pre-flop with small raises but fold if you don't hit or if you think you are behind.

I was wasting so much money c-betting with premium hands and getting called. loosening up pre-flop makes me able to out-play them after cards on the flop.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you put villian on here?:
    I too would open fold A6o normally. However this table was happy to limp everything but the second there was a raise pre-flop most times it would be folded around. I actually did this just to see if I could pick up the blinds. But when I hit the ace I thought the guy would bet out with an ace. Most hands had been limped pre and then whoever had hit would generally bet first and then get called. I bet thinking that he would have bet with an ace. But for him to check call every street didn't make any sense whatsoever. I've been playing well on these tables recently. I find that a better way to play is to play looser pre-flop with small raises but fold if you don't hit or if you think you are behind. I was wasting so much money c-betting with premium hands and getting called. loosening up pre-flop makes me able to out-play them after cards on the flop.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    yup i prefer playing this way at 4nl too, but i wouldnt usually include A6 os in my opening range in EP.