You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hand analysis - advice needed

#15274870106: $1 + $0.10 Sit & Go (111982049), Table 8 - 300/600 Ante 75 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:44:23 ET - 2009/10/11
Seat 1: superslon333 (21,060)
Seat 2: goont3r (20,350)
Seat 4: LE SHIFR (54,740)
Seat 5: acestud1978 (19,608)
Seat 6: WilliamJZeman (7,780)
Seat 7: 143Tyson (4,465), is sitting out
Seat 8: ROADKING448 (13,095)
superslon333 antes 75
goont3r antes 75
LE SHIFR antes 75
acestud1978 antes 75
WilliamJZeman antes 75
143Tyson antes 75
ROADKING448 antes 75
ROADKING448 posts the small blind of 300
superslon333 posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to acestud1978 [Ts Th]
goont3r folds
LE SHIFR raises to 1,750
acestud1978 raises to 2,900
WilliamJZeman folds
143Tyson folds
ROADKING448 folds
superslon333 folds
LE SHIFR calls 1,150
*** FLOP *** [7d 4s 4h]

LE SHIFR checks
acestud1978 bets 2,400
LE SHIFR calls 2,400

*** TURN *** [7d 4s 4h] [7h]
LE SHIFR checks
acestud1978 bets 3,000
LE SHIFR raises to 8,500
acestud1978 has 15 seconds left to act
acestud1978 raises to 14,000
LE SHIFR raises to 19,500
acestud1978 calls 233, and is all in
LE SHIFR shows [7c Kd]
acestud1978 shows [Ts Th]
Uncalled bet of 5,267 returned to LE SHIFR
*** RIVER *** [7d 4s 4h 7h] [6s]
LE SHIFR shows a full house, Sevens full of Fours
acestud1978 shows two pair, Tens and Sevens
LE SHIFR wins the pot (40,491) with a full house, Sevens full of Fours
*** SUMMARY ***

Hi guys this is taken out of a 90man multi table STT I was playing tonight. my name on is acestud1978 on this other site and I have highlighted my main error in this hand. I was lying about 6th with 15 left. had played good tight aggressive all tourney and not made many mistakes after 2-3 hrs play.

Makes me annoyed that I raised to 3k with the intention of letting it go if I got re-raised, taking that to mean he had 7/4. silly tired play really.  

I was playing the chip leader.  

anyway if anyone can have a look and see what they may have done diff then I will be glad to listen to advice

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I actually think that your mistake was PF and flop.  PF you min 3bet which is pretty terrible considering the opponent.  As he is chip leader he is never gonna be folding so therefore you put yourself in a horrible spot with a hand like TT, as most of the time there will be at least one overcard and he can bully you off.  I don't mind the min 3bet if you was versus someone with a smallish stack, but in general  PF you should be making this 4.7k at least.

Flop is also pretty terrible, UNLESS you was playing the player and hoping he would read your bet as weak and he would raise and then you would fist pump call.  If that was your intention then ok, however I think usually you shoudl be making this 5k minimum.  The pot is over 6k on the flop, which is over 25% of your stack at the start of the hand.  No shame in taking this down here and now.

However as played I think your turn bet is quite good tbf.  Given PF and flop he is never turning up with JJ+.  Also given PF it is very, very difficult to see him having a 7/4.  I think that your bet turn will usually be looked up but loads A high hands and 55 thru to 99.

I think that if you make the raise a decent size PF you just take it down then tbf, but then again who knows with these 1.10s where the standard is pretty horrible in general
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Hand analysis - advice needed:
    I actually think that your mistake was PF and flop.  PF you min 3bet which is pretty terrible considering the opponent.  As he is chip leader he is never gonna be folding so therefore you put yourself in a horrible spot with a hand like TT, as most of the time there will be at least one overcard and he can bully you off.  I don't mind the min 3bet if you was versus someone with a smallish stack, but in general  PF you should be making this 4.7k at least. Flop is also pretty terrible, UNLESS you was playing the player and hoping he would read your bet as weak and he would raise and then you would fist pump call.  If that was your intention then ok, however I think usually you shoudl be making this 5k minimum.  The pot is over 6k on the flop, which is over 25% of your stack at the start of the hand.  No shame in taking this down here and now. However as played I think your turn bet is quite good tbf.  Given PF and flop he is never turning up with JJ+.  Also given PF it is very, very difficult to see him having a 7/4.  I think that your bet turn will usually be looked up but loads A high hands and 55 thru to 99. I think that if you make the raise a decent size PF you just take it down then tbf, but then again who knows with these 1.10s where the standard is pretty horrible in general
    Posted by scotty77
    Thanks for your opinion Scotty (is that your actual first name?) are you off to Luton SPT? Think I am aiming for that along with my other half.

p.s. $1.10 is my bankroll capacity or their abouts, just grinding :)

• edited October 2009
    Hi Dave,
    I agree wtih Scotty(thats a first lol), you pre flop bet was not big enough, imo.
    Your opponent was sitting on 54k so for what was in the pot after your reraise, he was getting roughly 5 to 1 to call and that was enough for him. As you were willing to go all in later in the hand, why not put a 5 or 6 k preflop raise then look to squeeze on the flop. a push allin on the flop would have been better than trying to reraise on turn, when on that board any 7 or 4 kills you.
    If he would bluff at that stage without a hand is doubtful and my advice looking at the way you played it would be to fold on the turn and still be left with 14k.
    I tend to play mid pairs late on in a tourney, quite strong, to get rid of such hands. If this player was a bit lairy then so be it.
    col
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Hand analysis - advice needed : Thanks for your opinion Scotty (is that your actual first name?) are you off to Luton SPT? Think I am aiming for that along with my other half. p.s. $1.10 is my bankroll capacity or their abouts, just grinding :)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Hi....no its Ryan.  Will def be qualifying (or trying lol) for the SPT Luton so hopefully see you then and if I don't qualify anyway I'll be around for cash. 

No I didn't the 1.10 thing in a bad way, I understand everyone has BR constraints and its a very good thing that you are sticking to yours.  I just mean that in general the players are gonna be bad so its hard to work out whats going thru their heads!!!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Hand analysis - advice needed : Hi....no its Ryan.  Will def be qualifying (or trying lol) for the SPT Luton so hopefully see you then and if I don't qualify anyway I'll be around for cash.  No I didn't the 1.10 thing in a bad way, I understand everyone has BR constraints and its a very good thing that you are sticking to yours.  I just mean that in general the players are gonna be bad so its hard to work out whats going thru their heads!!!
    Posted by scotty77
    Hey Ryan,

Ahh yes I see what you mean about that. This is the dilemma when you play low level I guess! you can't really play creatively, just ABC?
  • edited October 2009
    I actually think that your mistake was PF and flop.  PF you min 3bet which is pretty terrible considering the opponent.  As he is chip leader he is never gonna be folding so therefore you put yourself in a horrible spot with a hand like TT, as most of the time there will be at least one overcard and he can bully you off.  I don't mind the min 3bet if you was versus someone with a smallish stack, but in general  PF you should be making this 4.7k at least. Flop is also pretty terrible, UNLESS you was playing the player and hoping he would read your bet as weak and he would raise and then you would fist pump call.  If that was your intention then ok, however I think usually you shoudl be making this 5k minimum.  The pot is over 6k on the flop, which is over 25% of your stack at the start of the hand.  No shame in taking this down here and now. However as played I think your turn bet is quite good tbf.  Given PF and flop he is never turning up with JJ+.  Also given PF it is very, very difficult to see him having a 7/4.  I think that your bet turn will usually be looked up but loads A high hands and 55 thru to 99. I think that if you make the raise a decent size PF you just take it down then tbf, but then again who knows with these 1.10s where the standard is pretty horrible in general
    Posted by scotty77
    Can't disagree with any of that.

Without trying to tear your play apart Grimstar as I wouldn't want to put it down but there is a couple of questions I'd like to put forward to you which might help you think about how to improve and why you did what you did.

What was the aim of the minimum re-raise pre-flop? What did you feel this bet was meant to achieve?

On the flop, why do you bet less than your pre-flop raise? Was it trying to milk the pot? A scared bet? The size of bet on the flop would have given him the chance to stay with even overcards and if a scare card comes on turn then you can be bullied off the best hand or have let him get there too cheaply.

If it's me with TT and I've got a flop like that I'm puting in a pot sized bet or maybe even just shipping the lot in.