You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pocket Pairs at 4NL

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get the general opinion of how people think you should play low-mid PPs at 4NL.

Things like 2s,3s and 4s are we just folding them pre oop?

Whats the situation with 5s through to 8s?

I'm just thinking that, at higher levels it's much more important to conceal the strength of your hand, so hitting sets can be worth alot more, but at this level you're getting called with alot of junk anyway so is it really worth the 8-1 or 9-1 of hitting a set, when you can get paid off with TP so often?

9s,10s,Js I'm raising them to around 16-20p (4-5X)

Qs, Ks and As I'm raising probably more like 28-32p just because it's amazing how often massive preflop raises get called at this level so I wanna build a big pot and get it all in soon as possible.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Pocket Pairs at 4NL:
    Hey guys, Just wanted to get the general opinion of how people think you should play low-mid PPs at 4NL. Things like 2s,3s and 4s are we just folding them pre oop? Whats the situation with 5s through to 8s? I'm just thinking that, at higher levels it's much more important to conceal the strength of your hand, so hitting sets can be worth alot more, but at this level you're getting called with alot of junk anyway so is it really worth the 8-1 or 9-1 of hitting a set, when you can get paid off with TP so often? 9s,10s,Js I'm raising them to around 16-20p (4-5X) Qs, Ks and As I'm raising probably more like 28-32p just because it's amazing how often massive preflop raises get called at this level so I wanna build a big pot and get it all in soon as possible.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Limp and call any re-raise. Mightn't be getting odds but implied odds are stacks always.

And can be taken away flop dependent too.
  • edited August 2011
    I havent played 4nl, but I magine sets are a license to print money there given how light you will get called down. Your implied odds should be huge

I would open raise them all tbh prob 3x-4x though it depends how much you open generally, though limpcalling prob not terrible with 22-88. Limping behind with some of the smaller ones prob ok too
  • edited August 2011
    If it's unopened I'm always raising at least 4x with 22-88. With 2/3 callers infront I might limp along due to implied odds of hitting set multiway but 1 limper or zero and I make a raise.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Pocket Pairs at 4NL:
    If it's unopened I'm always raising at least 4x with 22-88. With 2/3 callers infront I might limp along due to implied odds of hitting set multiway but 1 limper or zero and I make a raise.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    THIS
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Pocket Pairs at 4NL : Limp and call any re-raise. Mightn't be getting odds but implied odds are stacks always. And can be taken away flop dependent too.
    Posted by bandini
    Yeah I see the point about implied odds but as I said in my post, is it worth it at this level. There's alot of junk players who are calling off most if not all of their stack with TP bad kicker, or even 2nd pair.

So what I'm saying is, it's much more likely to get TP good kicker when you're playing a range of hands like AK/AQ/AJ/A10/KQ/KJ etc. than it is to hit a set, so if you get paid off pretty much just as well with TP good kicker, then is it worth the 9-1 shot of hitting a set?

Like I was saying, concealing your hand is more important at higher levels but at 4NL most opponents don't even consider what you have and just concentrate on their TP with 4 kicker.

Not saying I'm right, it's just something I'm throwing out there to see what people think.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Pocket Pairs at 4NL : Yeah I see the point about implied odds but as I said in my post, is it worth it at this level. There's alot of junk players who are calling off most if not all of their stack with TP bad kicker, or even 2nd pair. So what I'm saying is, it's much more likely to get TP good kicker when you're playing a range of hands like AK/AQ/AJ/A10/KQ/KJ etc. than it is to hit a set, so if you get paid off pretty much just as well with TP good kicker, then is it worth the 9-1 shot of hitting a set? Like I was saying, concealing your hand is more important at higher levels but at 4NL most opponents don't even consider what you have and just concentrate on their TP with 4 kicker. Not saying I'm right, it's just something I'm throwing out there to see what people think.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes lolz, if you hit set at this level multiway or even heads up you should make a lot of hay.