You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Unlucky or bad play?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Just wondered if im playing big hands wrong,Under the gun with 3.985 chips i make the bet 600 on 100/200 blinds ,The flop with one player is 5 9 2 he bets i jam he shows 555.Then in another torn im small stack and push wiv AJ and a loose player calls with A 10 and gets his 10 .Should i just flat bet then hope for a re raise or stick to how im playing?.Looking forward to the dtd 2 moz as it was huge fun last week.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Well in the first hand you didn't say what you had, so I have no idea if the bet pre was correct and if the jam was correct. What did you have?

The second hand, not enough information really. How short stacked are you? What type of tournament is it? Where are you in the tournament, early stages, round the bubble, deep? Can't really give advice without more info but as a general point, if you've got AJ and you get it all in, you love getting called by A10, you were unlucky that one time, but you're going to win about 70% of the time.
  • edited August 2011
    Thank you for the reply,The 1st hand i had KK midway through the torn.
  • edited August 2011
    the key is to pay attention to your opponent and note what they are doing in hands

if the only time the guy ever shoves over a raise is that hand, you can assume he has something - probably a set given a 952 board - if he regualrly re-raises people, snap call

ah just re-read - it was you who jammed - same principle applies - does he donk bet frequently or this first time?
    with regards to the jam, it depends how deep stacked you are and how deep stacked opponent is - sometimes a call or re-raise is fine - again, you would be paying attention to whether he tends to double barrel or slow down and how he reacts to 3 bets

jamming probably is probably the right move reasless, but the idea is to try not to be readless then you can start to make more informed guesses
  • edited August 2011
    First hand, you're all in, every day of the week. If people tell you wrong, go watch Videos and you'll see that happening all the time. You're unlucky, and you're not deep enough to get away from it. 

Hand 2...depends how short you are and what table position, chances are AJ is fine to get it in, very few times can you say open shoving a small stack with AJ is a bad play.