You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River very deep, check or bet?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Reads are player is VERY loose, limps almost every hand, calls down light etc.
Dudeskin8 Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £16.50
scryer03 Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £8.32
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

dgw69 Fold        
minmitmoo Call   £0.08 £0.20 £7.63
x Call   £0.08 £0.28 £19.54
Dudeskin8 Raise   £0.40 £0.68 £16.10
scryer03 Fold        
minmitmoo Call   £0.36 £1.04 £7.27
x Call   £0.36 £1.40 £19.18
Flop

• Q

Dudeskin8 Bet   £1.05 £2.45 £15.05
minmitmoo Fold        
x Call   £1.05 £3.50 £18.13
Turn

Dudeskin8 Bet   £2.48 £5.98 £12.57
x Call   £2.48 £8.46 £15.65
River

• K

Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited August 2011
    not a cash game player, but im betting £3.50 there and folding to a raise.
  • edited August 2011
    I don't like his playing of just flat calling you on the flop and turn.

I'd rule out backdraw spades straight away. Do you know if this guys any good or not?

I'm struggling to put him on any hand here from the way it's played. The only hand I could see him calling a 5X raise with, knowing he's going to the flop 3 way and then has continued to flat call throughout is 55 and 88. QQ/KK/AA he has got to be re-raising you pre and nothing else worthy of calling 5X really hits that board enough to continue the way he did.

So I'm probably c/f here. This may be weak in some people's eyes, i dunno.
  • edited August 2011
    £5 ish and watch him fold small pair!
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: River very deep, check or bet?:
    I don't like his playing of just flat calling you on the flop and turn. I'd rule out backdraw spades straight away. Do you know if this guys any good or not? I'm struggling to put him on any hand here from the way it's played. The only hand I could see him calling a 5X raise with, knowing he's going to the flop 3 way and then has continued to flat call throughout is 55 and 88. QQ/KK/AA he has got to be re-raising you pre and nothing else worthy of calling 5X really hits that board enough to continue the way he did. So I'm probably c/f here. This may be weak in some people's eyes, i dunno.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I dont think there is a right or wrong answer here. I immediately thought the same as you 55/88 but why not lead out themselves pre flop, why wait to limp/call a raise? 

Check calling a thin value bet
    Check folding
    Bet folding

Prob all reasonable plays and I dare say there is an argument for all of them. 

Tough Spot. 
  • edited August 2011
    Sorry I just re-read the OP and just realised you did give info about the other guy. If these are reliable notes then yeah I'm betting around £5 ish
  • edited August 2011

I'm definitely betting here, why would you not bet? clear b/f imo, and I prob do the same readless

• edited August 2011
    definitely b/f, still getting value from Qx hands, probz bet £3 .. be disciplined though and do fold to a raise if it comes, i used to make the mistake of telling myself i'll make a small bet and fold if a raise comes, then i convinced myself he's bluffing and called .... not good 
    edit: just noticed your reads, the b/f line is even clearer with you knowing he calls down light
  • edited August 2011
    i definately bet at bout £4, he caught a small pair with his A5 or A8 and is suspicious of ur continuation bets thinking youve missed.

Bet 4 here and fold to a raise.

What actually happend in the end? another option is he could have QJ?
  • edited August 2011
    id bet bigger all previous streets and b/f river w/o reads.

prob bet half-2/3rds pot
  • edited August 2011
    Well did bet out, was just wondering though if I was raised early in hand on flop/turn against a pretty bad player
    would it be an insta fold even with TPTK ?
    River

• K

Dudeskin8 Bet   £4.00 £12.46 £8.57
    x Fold        
    Dudeskin8 Muck        
    Dudeskin8 Win   £7.82   £16.39
    Dudeskin8 Return   £4.00 £0.64 £20.39
  • edited August 2011
    hand looked perfect to me,

How u finding NL8 and NL10 much difference?
  • edited August 2011
    Well basically multitabling NL8 now with the odd NL4 dropped in when needed.

NL8 I find very straighforward pretty much identical to NL4 in that my raise sizes are the same and also similar amount of fish to good players.

I did try NL10 earlier this month but had a bit of a battering losing £23.36 over two sessions, yes this is nothing when your roll is 25-30 BI's deep but when you go at it with just £176 it's quite a blow so decided to drop down to NL8 till I get to £200, currently £186 so not too far off.

I do admit though that NL10 seemed a lot more concentrated with REGs, there must have been at least 3/4 on each table I was on but likewise there was the same level of awfulness from a few which is good.
  • edited August 2011

As you move up small things start to matter that didnt matter before...

For example if you log on to nl4 at Midday, 6pm, Midnight or 6am, ur gtd multiple tables full of fish and you can print money.

If you log on to nl10 at 5pm, and then log back on at 1am, you'll find it's 2 completely different games.

-------------------

Obviously I'm not saying nl10 isn't beatable 24/7, but if you can, it makes sense to make life easier for yourself.
  • edited August 2011
    As you move up small things start to matter that didnt matter before... For example if you log on to nl4 at Midday, 6pm, Midnight or 6am, ur gtd multiple tables full of fish and you can print money. If you log on to nl10 at 5pm, and then log back on at 1am, you'll find it's 2 completely different games. ------------------- Obviously I'm not saying nl10 isn't beatable 24/7, but if you can, it makes sense to make life easier for yourself.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    some people have to work 1am poker isnt that practical!!
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: River very deep, check or bet? : some people have to work 1am poker isnt that practical!!
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Well obv some people do but not everyone.

There's weekends?

Find the small edges.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: River very deep, check or bet? : Well obv some people do but not everyone. There's weekends? Find the small edges.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 - i've realised the canadians are worse than the russians, therefore playing at 3am is more profitable than 5pm lol!