You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

overpair, lost the hand, lost the min, yet still feel i played it badly.

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hadnt long moved to this table no notes on the villian.

Opinions. 

UKIPT sat, 5K starting and 15 min blinds.

#65726485044: Tournament #423924165, £40+£4 GBP Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2011/08/08 21:40:32 WET [2011/08/08 16:40:32 ET]
Table '423924165 2' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: FortuneJay (18783 in chips)
Seat 2: dod_scottish (7511 in chips)
Seat 3: air72 (4950 in chips)
Seat 4: COMEBACKKIN9 (7213 in chips)
Seat 5: jpc57 (10439 in chips)
Seat 6: zzaakky (4855 in chips)
Seat 7: Flush_Draw24 (5140 in chips)
Seat 8: Goldtop91 (12063 in chips)
Seat 9: the_donscott (9197 in chips)
FortuneJay: posts the ante 25
dod_scottish: posts the ante 25
air72: posts the ante 25
COMEBACKKIN9: posts the ante 25
jpc57: posts the ante 25
zzaakky: posts the ante 25
Flush_Draw24: posts the ante 25
Goldtop91: posts the ante 25
the_donscott: posts the ante 25
Flush_Draw24: posts small blind 125
Goldtop91: posts big blind 250

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to the_donscott [Kc Kd]
the_donscott: raises 375 to 625
FortuneJay: folds
dod_scottish: folds
air72: folds
COMEBACKKIN9: folds
jpc57: folds
zzaakky: folds
Flush_Draw24: folds
Goldtop91: calls 375

*** FLOP *** [Tc 9h 6d]
Goldtop91: checks
the_donscott: bets 960
Goldtop91: calls 960

*** TURN *** [Tc 9h 6d] [5d]
Goldtop91: bets 1000
the_donscott: calls 1000

*** RIVER *** [Tc 9h 6d 5d] [Qh]
Goldtop91: checks
the_donscott: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Goldtop91: shows [Th 6s] (two pair, Tens and Sixes)
the_donscott: mucks hand
Goldtop91 collected 5520 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5520 | Rake 0
Board [Tc 9h 6d 5d Qh]
Seat 1: FortuneJay folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: dod_scottish folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: air72 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: COMEBACKKIN9 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: jpc57 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: zzaakky (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Flush_Draw24 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Goldtop91 (big blind) showed [Th 6s] and won (5520) with two pair, Tens and Sixes
Seat 9: the_donscott mucked [Kc Kd]

Comments

• edited August 2011
    You raised too small pre and got called by junk, that junk hit 2 pair on the flop. Yes, you're unlucky in the sense the guy flopped 2 pair but did you need to be in that position in the first place?

My answer would be no, you didn't. Put a normal decent raise in pre and if everyone folds then so be it, better that than kicking yourself for letting a junk hand in and getting out-flopped. As for losing the minimum, I don't think you did, a normal raise pre probably would have picked up the blinds and you wouldn't have lost anything.

If you want to play big hands slow that is fine, but you have to accept that if you limp in or raise the minimum with AA or KK, you will get rubbish hands out-flopping you now and then.

I don't think you did too much wrong post flop, you managed to control the pot and avoid going broke but the mistake had already been made in my opinion.
    I've done this type of thing myself and learned the lesson, now i'll only play big hands slow against small stacks that can't hurt me, just in case this kind of thing happens.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: overpair, lost the hand, lost the min, yet still feel i played it badly.:
    You raised too small pre and got called by junk, that junk hit 2 pair on the flop. Yes, you're unlucky in the sense the guy flopped 2 pair but did you need to be in that position in the first place? My answer would be no, you didn't. Put a normal decent raise in pre and if everyone folds then so be it, better that than kicking yourself for letting a junk hand in and getting out-flopped. As for losing the minimum, I don't think you did, a normal raise pre probably would have picked up the blinds and you wouldn't have lost anything. If you want to play big hands slow that is fine, but you have to accept that if you limp in or raise the minimum with AA or KK, you will get rubbish hands out-flopping you now and then. I don't think you did too much wrong post flop, you managed to control the pot and avoid going broke but the mistake had already been made in my opinion. I've done this type of thing myself and learned the lesson, now i'll only play big hands slow against small stacks that can't hurt me, just in case this kind of thing happens.
    Posted by salazar
    Raising 2.5x pre is fine, the days of raising 3,4,5xBB are long gone. You dont need to be popping it to 750 there.

As played I lose more than you, I raise the Turn lol. 
  • edited August 2011
    i agree raise size is absolutely fine - you want ot be raising frequently to steal the blinds and ante's and you dont want to be putting in 3-5bb each time as you ill have to fold to re-raises frequently - but due to ante's small raises only need to get through every other time to be profitable

the 1000 lead on the turn is very fishy

in order for it to be a small bet as a bluff to represent super strength, he would have to know you were capabale of laying a hand down to that kind of bet so it's highly unlikely he would do this without some history vs you

therefore, you have to believe you are beat at this point - the problem with the call is what do you expect to happen on river - you get kinda lucky that he's so passive as the 1000 on the turn could have been thrown away without even seeing a showdown

i think 2 pair is weak end of what he would be doing this with - just be glad villian played so badly - saved you some chips
  • edited August 2011
    Don I don't want to state the obvious, buy why are you playing £44 MTT's and only playing 2/4p.
    BRM issues dude

why don't you just stick to the mini open/primos/DS on sky

If I am bang out of line just tell me to STFU :D
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: overpair, lost the hand, lost the min, yet still feel i played it badly.:
    Don I don't want to state the obvious, buy why are you playing £44 MTT's and only playing 2/4p. BRM issues dude why don't you just stick to the mini open/primos/DS on sky If I am bang out of line just tell me to STFU :D
    Posted by rancid
    He was bought in/staked, however you wanna put it. Although I do agree the 44 quid wud be put to better use joining his nl4 roll but anyway.

I think the hand is played well given that it's a deep sat.

I also raise more pre, as I was watching the table and the standard was pretty kak.

2.5x is fine tho.
  • edited August 2011
    postflop is well played imo, I might bet river though

pre I raise more given stack depth and you are prob going to be oop. Im not a big fan of 2.5X where antes are involved, especially reasonably deep oop, but its prob fine
  • edited August 2011
    nh
    and wd qualifying into the ukipt, gl
  • edited August 2011
    Don I don't want to state the obvious, buy why are you playing £44 MTT's and only playing 2/4p. BRM issues dude why don't you just stick to the mini open/primos/DS on sky If I am bang out of line just tell me to STFU :D
    Posted by rancid
    my uncle had qualified for this and really wanted me and me dad to go aswell. as a result he basically staked us into every satellite possible.

got a pretty sweet deal for the stake to tbh.
  • edited August 2011

2.5 BB raise?

As far as I can see the BB is 250 and hero raises 375. Unless my maths are failing me that is not 2.5.
    Also there are ante's in this game which says to me you should be raising more than normal as people will be more inclined to play.

• edited August 2011
    As i have said played fine, raise pre standard

bet out fine, turn ok too and check on river is good lost minimum WP
  • edited August 2011
    2.5 BB raise? As far as I can see the BB is 250 and hero raises 375. Unless my maths are failing me that is not 2.5. Also there are ante's in this game which says to me you should be raising more than normal as people will be more inclined to play.
    Posted by salazar
    the_donscott: raises 375 to 625

the amount over the blinds is 325.

2.5x
  • edited August 2011
    congrats on the seat don

Anyone think we can bet river for thin value here?
  • edited August 2011
    congrats on the seat don Anyone think we can bet river for thin value here?
    Posted by grantorino

1/3 pot maybe max, I prefer the check.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: overpair, lost the hand, lost the min, yet still feel i played it badly. : the_donscott: raises 375 to 625 the amount over the blinds is 325. 2.5x
    Posted by The_Don90
    When yu say 2x or 3x you are saying 2 x the BB or 3 x the BB. If the BB is 250, 2x would be a 500 raise, and 3 x would be a 750 raise.

2.5 would be a 625 raise, the pot after a 2.5 raise would be arounf the 1000 mark
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: overpair, lost the hand, lost the min, yet still feel i played it badly. : When yu say 2x or 3x you are saying 2 x the BB or 3 x the BB. If the BB is 250, 2x would be a 500 raise, and 3 x would be a 750 raise. 2.5 would be a 625 raise, the pot after a 2.5 raise would be arounf the 1000 mark
    Posted by salazar
    He made it 625 , which is 2.5X BB of 250, after his raise pot is 1225 if my maths is correct
  • edited August 2011
    congrats on the seat don Anyone think we can bet river for thin value here?
    Posted by grantorino
    ty mate. U have put a vital point to why i posted this hand.

The turn i was between raising and calling

River i was between shoving and checking.

I really felt i under played my hand. despite losing the min
  • edited August 2011
    No way I raise the turn, and I think river is definitely thin if we bet
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: overpair, lost the hand, lost the min, yet still feel i played it badly. : He made it 625 , which is 2.5X BB of 250, after his raise pot is 1225 if my maths is correct
    Posted by grantorino
    Yep my mistake, sorry. This part of the text confused me ' the_donscott: raises 375 to 625 '

I thought he'd put 375 in and the pot after that was 625. 

• edited August 2011
    no probs salazar i know a visual hand thing i can use for this site in future which will make it easier. only thing being as it would link to another site.