You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HELP ME STOP MY KIDS REALISING IM THICK

edited October 2009 in The Shed
BELOW IS MY 10 YEAR OLD SONS MATHS HOMEWORK AND I JUST CANT GET MY HEAD ROUND IT

MY MUM WAS 27 WHEN I WAS BORN.
8 YEARS AGO SHE WAS TWICE AS OLD AS I SHALL BE IN 5 YEARS TIME
HOW OLD AM I NOW?

BEEN TRYING TO WORK IT OUT FOR TWO DAYS AND THE BLOODY THINGS DRIVING ME INSANE!.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    9 I think.

If in 5 years you will be 14.

2 x 14 is 28.

8 years off your age now means you were one and she was 28.

Hurt my head a bit.

haven't done algebra for years. 10 is a bit young to be teaching it from what I remember.

Anyway the answer is 9.

just tried to put in the formula's to help but by brain has frazzled.

• edited October 2009
    Get mere novice to have a look, he can give you the answer to the nearest day!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: HELP ME STOP MY KIDS REALISING IM THICK:
    Get mere novice to have a look, he can give you the answer to the nearest day!
    Posted by Hale72
    Why is he his dad lol??
  • edited October 2009
    YES. NOW I HAVE THE ANSWER I CAN SEE THE WORKING

9+5=14
    14X2=28
    28+8=36
    36-27=9

MANY THANKS I THOUGHT IT WAS A BIT ADVANCED FOR A 10 YEAR OLD TOO.
  • edited October 2009
    The formula starts....

x +27 = y  (if x is your age and y is moms age..)

Thats about as far as I got.

Merenovice is definately the one for this.

He can tell you the star sign, exact bithdays and what presents they will end up with!
  • edited October 2009

This is a trick question.

If your Mum was 27 when you were born, assuming that you were born at an early age (which most people are, these days), then the probability of her being half-past-quarter-to-cheesecake, when you were thrice the age of twelvty-several, would make your chances of successfully attaining a flush draw very slim indeed. 

I'd fold. Does that help?

• edited October 2009
    The formula starts....   x +27 = y  (if x is your age and y is moms age..) Thats about as far as I got. Merenovice is definately the one for this. He can tell you the star sign, exact bithdays and what presents they will end up with!
    Posted by Hale72
    You very nearly had it right in your original post before you removed the equations.
    The correct equations are:

y = x + 27

y - 8 = 2 * (x + 5)

Subtracting the second from the first gives:

8 = 17 - x,  i.e. x=9 and hence y=36

(You missed the brackets from the 2nd  equation!).
  • edited October 2009
    The formula starts....   x +27 = y  (if x is your age and y is moms age..) Thats about as far as I got. Merenovice is definately the one for this. He can tell you the star sign, exact bithdays and what presents they will end up with!
    Posted by Hale72
    ok me old tefal heads, you lot giving me a headache, im off to play with my wii ............. ( What comes next? )   
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: HELP ME STOP MY KIDS REALISING IM THICK : You very nearly had it right in your original post before you removed the equations. The correct equations are: y = x + 27 y - 8 = 2 * (x + 5) Subtracting the second from the first gives: 8 = 17 - x,  i.e. x=9 and hence y=36 (You missed the brackets from the 2nd  equation!).
    Posted by MereNovice
    yeh Hale72 you must be daft, fancy not putting the brackets in the 2nd equationy thingamy
  • edited October 2009
    I knew I wasn't far off but I deleted my orignal equations because they just didn't seem quite right.

Not bad for someone who can't use a calculator!
  • edited October 2009
    This is a trick question.   If your Mum was 27 when you were born, assuming that you were born at an early age (which most people are, these days), then the probability of her being half-past-quarter-to-cheesecake, when you were thrice the age of twelvty-several, would make your chances of successfully attaining a flush draw very slim indeed.    I'd fold. Does that help?
    Posted by FlutNush
    haha lmao