You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

larsson or rooney

edited September 2011 in The Football Corner
celtic legend or man utd wannabee legend

Comments

• edited August 2011
    In Response to larsson or rooney:
    celtic legend or man utd wannabee legend
    Posted by scoopleg
    lol, you're joking, right?

I'll grant you Larsson was class, knew where the onion bag was and should/could have proven himself in better company. But the SPL's a backwater mate. Rooney's won CL, scored some of the greatest goals I've seen and is, rightly, considered one of the best footballers in Europe. And, IMHO, is only going to get better.

I'm Scottish but even I know you're not even comparing like with like.
  • edited August 2011
    Have to disagree with you Bandini, Larsson was well sought after by many a big club and even late on in his career when he went to Barca and Man U he still delivered the goods in much tougher leagues and on the european comps (and won the CL with Barca too I might add against Arsenal in the 2006 Final (btw when will Arsenal ever get to that stage again now!! :P )  ). He was also a top player for his country on many occasions in the World Cup and Euros' so I would put Larrson ahead of Rooney who is very good for a British striker (certainly the best the UK can offer anyway).
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: larsson or rooney:
    In Response to larsson or rooney : lol, you're joking, right? I'll grant you Larsson was class, knew where the onion bag was and should/could have proven himself in better company. But the SPL's a backwater mate. Rooney's won CL, scored some of the greatest goals I've seen and is, rightly, considered one of the best footballers in Europe. And, IMHO, is only going to get better. I'm Scottish but even I know you're not even comparing like with like.
    Posted by bandini
    It takes real class to score in a brothel, LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Rooney will never be as good as Larsson
  • edited August 2011
    Have to disagree with you Bandini, Larsson was well sought after by many a big club and even late on in his career when he went to Barca and Man U he still delivered the goods in much tougher leagues and on the european comps (and won the CL with Barca too I might add against Arsenal in the 2006 Final (btw when will Arsenal ever get to that stage again now!! :P )  ). He was also a top player for his country on many occasions in the World Cup and Euros' so I would put Larrson ahead of Rooney who is very good for a British striker (certainly the best the UK can offer anyway).
    Posted by SALT1R3
    Hear what you're saying bud, and fair points.

But I disagree right back.

Larsson was a bit player with Barca and was in the twilight of his career when with them and ManU.

Rooney's the fulcrum of a team that's won the CL and countless EPLs. He's done what he's done in, arguably, the toughest league to perform in in the world. He can win games on his own when in the mood and is still only 25. He hasn't really done it on the international scene yet, admittedly, but I feel that's because, thankfully, England employ a series of unsuitable managers and have a press that crucify their sporting heroes at the drop of a hat. And he's made mistakes in his personnal life at the wrong times. I feel he's not even peaked yet.

Could Larsson have been better? Classy as he undoubtably was, I still say no. Rooney's better than just a "good British striker". He's one of the best players in Europe. Messi's the only one I could say definitely is more important to their team. Ronaldo maybe.
  • edited August 2011
    Out of interest who do those saying Larsson support? I see.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: larsson or rooney : It takes real class to score in a brothel, LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZ Rooney will never be as good as Larsson
    Posted by Red_King
    :-)

Class as a human being doesn't necessarily equate to class as a sportsman.

That Tiger could hit a mean golf ball on occassion.
  • edited August 2011

I think Seb Larsson is better than Adam Rooney.

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: larsson or rooney : It takes real class to score in a brothel, LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZ Rooney will never be as good as Larsson
    Posted by Red_King
    hhhmmmmmmm let me guess.....bindipper? lol

ps rooney all the way for me...he has achieved as much and more than larsson and he has yet to reach his peak......frightening thought for other teams is that we havent seen the best of rooney yet.......

pps larsson was a class player even at the end with man utd
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: larsson or rooney : Hear what you're saying bud, and fair points. But I disagree right back. Larsson was a bit player with Barca and was in the twilight of his career when with them and ManU. Rooney's the fulcrum of a team that's won the CL and countless EPLs. He's done what he's done in, arguably, the toughest league to perform in in the world. He can win games on his own when in the mood and is still only 25. He hasn't really done it on the international scene yet, admittedly, but I feel that's because, thankfully, England employ a series of unsuitable managers and have a press that crucify their sporting heroes at the drop of a hat. And he's made mistakes in his personnal life at the wrong times. I feel he's not even peaked yet. Could Larsson have been better? Classy as he undoubtably was, I still say no. Rooney's better than just a "good British striker". He's one of the best players in Europe. Messi's the only one I could say definitely is more important to their team. Ronaldo maybe.
    Posted by bandini
    Larsson is a Legend and always will be although i may be slightly biased :)

I would say Larsson over rooney although rooney has a long future ahead of himself.

Bit part player at Barca?

"People always talk about Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Guily and everything, but I didn't see them today, I saw Henrik Larsson. He came on, he changed the game, that is what killed the game. Sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that; you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference, and that was Henrik Larsson tonight."

Thierry Henry (after helping barca to another champions league title)

I wish the celtic team right now was full of bit part players if they were all like him.

He will always remain in my mind to be the best celtic player i have seen in the flesh, total footballer and gentleman.

Only time will tell if at the end of his career if people feel this way about rooney but as i said he has the potential.

• edited August 2011
    Thought you meant Seb Larsson after yesterday's goal. lol!!
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: larsson or rooney : Larsson is a Legend and always will be although i may be slightly biased :) I would say Larsson over rooney although rooney has a long future ahead of himself. Bit part player at Barca? "People always talk about Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Guily and everything, but I didn't see them today, I saw Henrik Larsson. He came on, he changed the game, that is what killed the game. Sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that; you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference, and that was Henrik Larsson tonight." Thierry Henry (after helping barca to another champions league title) I wish the celtic team right now was full of bit part players if they were all like him. He will always remain in my mind to be the best celtic player i have seen in the flesh, total footballer and gentleman. Only time will tell if at the end of his career if people feel this way about rooney but as i said he has the potential.
    Posted by H2TheBA
    Absolute class m8.I remember that interview and he was spot on.Henrik won
    the CL for Barca that night in the twilight of his career aswell.Tho after watching
    him in the legends game the other night he could still do it.A bit part player,i dont
    think so.
  • edited September 2011
    Not sure god gave Lars all that talent to waste in that leauge for so long.  
  • edited September 2011
    Not sure god gave Lars all that talent to waste in that leauge for so long.  
    Posted by Archangel
    It wasn't wasted m8,believe me.
  • edited September 2011
    Brian Laudrup. Simples.
  • edited September 2011
    Rooney's only 25, just hitting peak, and is already one of the best players in the world.

Some above think I'm knocking Larsson and I'll admit my comment about him being a bit-part player at Barca was a bit daft. And I'm certainly not knocking Larsson, he was quite sublime at times. But he surely, surely can't be in Rooney's class? If I was a manager with all the resources in the world I honestly think Messi's the only player that could possibly be above Rooney on my shopping list? Larsson was never held quite that highly in regard? If so, he surely wouldn't have been at Celtic that long?
  • edited September 2011
    Rooney- simple.Larrson was without question classy but better than Rooney? NO NO NO
    any other claim can only be put down to sheer stupidity by your typical inbred Man Utd hater
  • edited September 2011
    Rooney's only 25, just hitting peak, and is already one of the best players in the world. Some above think I'm knocking Larsson and I'll admit my comment about him being a bit-part player at Barca was a bit daft. And I'm certainly not knocking Larsson, he was quite sublime at times. But he surely, surely can't be in Rooney's class? If I was a manager with all the resources in the world I honestly think Messi's the only player that could possibly be above Rooney on my shopping list? Larsson was never held quite that highly in regard? If so, he surely wouldn't have been at Celtic that long?
    Posted by bandini
    Im sure i could think of a few id have in ahead of him, but then i just dislike Rooney. Dont get me wrong hes a top class player but i think hes majorly over-rated at the same time.

I suspect 10 years ago, Beckham was top of Bandini's shopping list lol ;)