You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could/Should I have folded?

Was playing in the forum deepstack tonight top 10 got paid, was 17 of us left I was in 11th position at the time when this happens
bennydip2 Small blind  600.00 600.00 21251.00
razorkev Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 36495.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

letticek All-in  14422.50 16222.50 0.00
auntymary Fold     
35suited All-in  11135.00 27357.50 0.00
IDJIUT Fold     
Kiwini4u Fold     
DELTA Fold     
bennydip2 Fold     
razorkev Fold     
Flop

Turn

• A

River

letticek Show
  • J
  • A

35suited Show
  • K
  • K

letticek Win Two Pairs, Aces and 9s 27357.50  27357.50

No complain about getting beat :) but I didnt even think about the call I instantly called, should I be thinking about folding look at what position he raised from and with so many to act after me???? Should it make any difference that my current bankroll is 0 and I was only in this due to winning it in a competition? or shouldnt I let that change the way I play?

Thanks for any feedback

Gareth

Comments

• edited October 2009

Hi 35 suited,

You made the correct call, this is always the correct call. KK cannot be folded in this spot ever imo. Your only scared of one hand and you dominate everything else...

While i always hate to call for my tournament, KK is just unfoldable against one opponent at this vital stage of the game with the cash approaching. Their shoving range includes 1010 JJ QQ AK AQ AJ etc... Get this double up and your virtually guaranteed a cash. You got very unlucky, but its the way it goes... Also in my opinion with AA, the majority of players will try to slowplay it from early postion, or min raise.. ugh... If someone behind you happens to wake up with AA, so be it...

The fact you are on a freeroll should not influence your decision in the slightest, always play your A game regardless of whether your buyin was free or not. The reason you called quickly is because its an auto call with 10bbs or less. I repeat, you did nothing wrong.

all the best

Greg

• edited October 2009
    If you're desperate to make any cash then maybe you could have folded and tried to sneak in the money in the same way some people fold Aces on the bubble in DYM's/satellites etc. However if you're looking at this purely as a poker decision, it's like Greg said...you shouldn't be folding here ever! For me, I'm thinking one thing in this spot and that's how can I get paid with my Kings so I'm pleased to see someone move all in before me to be honest - their range is so wide and you're beating all but one hand (which I'm not even considering here) so just be pleased you got your money in as 70% favourite and this time, they hit their three outer!
  • edited October 2009
    Personally i think your just putting this on as a bad beat story and to get it off your chest... The only time im folding KK preflop is either bubble of a satelite when well stacked or in a deepstack game vs V. tight players and seen it go raise-reraise-re-re-raise re-re-re-re raise.... THEN id fold... if your thinking of folding in that position you shouldn't be playing poker IMO
  • edited October 2009
    I agree flash flush, this isnt a question on poker strategy it is another way to moan and show everyone else that they have been unlucky. You shouldn't be playing poker if your asking about this.
  • edited October 2009

Thanks hale, greg, and dan for your words of advice.

Flash you couldnt be more wrong, wasnt putting it down as a bad beat at all. 

As Dan touched on, I was on the verge of desperate to make the cash with my br currently being 0 due to being out of work and my wife of on maternity leave the cash would have been nice so i could have played a couple more tournys.

I didnt think about folding as i said I called instantly, just looking back at my hands I wondered if anyone else would have played it differently, as i couldnt id call every time.

Sorry for asking advice from those with more experience

Gareth

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Could/Should I have folded?:
    Thanks hale, greg, and dan for your words of advice. Flash you couldnt be more wrong, wasnt putting it down as a bad beat at all.  As Dan touched on, I was on the verge of desperate to make the cash with my br currently being 0 due to being out of work and my wife of on maternity leave the cash would have been nice so i could have played a couple more tournys. I didnt think about folding as i said I called instantly, just looking back at my hands I wondered if anyone else would have played it differently, as i couldnt id call every time. Sorry for asking advice from those with more experience Gareth
    Posted by 35suited
     The trouble with poker UNTIL you have the stone cold nuts, you are never a massive favourite to win... (best you can be preflop is 85% fav i think) therefor you are still losing 15 out of 100 times on average.

There would of been alot more play in that tourney until the cash, so folding KK with 10 blinds is just not a question i feel... I understand what your saying about being desperate to make the cash, but ask yourself... what was 10th place? I think it was around £14 ... One phrase to remember when playing is "Playing scared poker is playing bad poker" If you wanted to make the cash i feel you still needed a doubleup and that was prime opportunity, from there you can probably fold into the money if thats your aim.

My previous comments were not meant to be attacking you, but far to often you see people come on here saying did i play this right? you look at their hand and they are all in preflop with AA vs something like AK and lose.... umm no u played terrible, fold your AA preflop vs 1 opponent.. what do you expect us to say? lol

Goodluck hope to see you on the tables soon... P.S fold KK vs me everytime ;-)
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Could/Should I have folded?:
    In Response to Re: Could/Should I have folded? :  The trouble with poker UNTIL you have the stone cold nuts, you are never a massive favourite to win... (best you can be preflop is 85% fav i think) therefor you are still losing 15 out of 100 times on average.  There would of been alot more play in that tourney until the cash, so folding KK with 10 blinds is just not a question i feel... I understand what your saying about being desperate to make the cash, but ask yourself... what was 10th place? I think it was around £14 ... One phrase to remember when playing is "Playing scared poker is playing bad poker" If you wanted to make the cash i feel you still needed a doubleup and that was prime opportunity, from there you can probably fold into the money if thats your aim.  My previous comments were not meant to be attacking you, but far to often you see people come on here saying did i play this right? you look at their hand and they are all in preflop with AA vs something like AK and lose.... umm no u played terrible, fold your AA preflop vs 1 opponent.. what do you expect us to say? lol  Goodluck hope to see you on the tables soon... P.S fold KK vs me everytime ;-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Apologies for going off-thread but I can't resist sticking my oar in.

The best you can be pre-flop is KK v K2 where the 2 is the same suit as one of the paired K's.

This is a 94.2% favourite with 1.5% chance of a split.    (Only slightly better than KK /> KQ!)
  • edited October 2009
    No brainer call - you made the right decision and got unlucky - that's poker unfortunately - but imagine how boring the game would be if KK held up every time