You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

pot odds

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
what should i do in this situation i have found myself in on a number of occasions?. the flop is shown and i have a 1:1 ratio of winning with pot odds of 3:2. thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Well simply that means you have the odds to continue but are you in position or out of position, because obviously if you are in position, you don't know the pot odds until you know how much has been bet before you.
    ?
    It depends on a million things really... who raised pre (if anyone)? This a tourney or cash? If it's tourney, what stage are you in it, how many BBs you got?

Also, how can you possibly know on the flop that you have a 1:1 win ratio, surely that means you are 100% you know exactly what your opponent has??
  • edited August 2011

What do pot odd of 3:2 mean? Call 3 to win 5? Well if you win 50% its obv a +EV call, raising usually wont be profitable (depends what he calls with). As Lambert says above unless its river cold pot odds are only part of the picture

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: pot odds:
    Well simply that means you have the odds to continue but are you in position or out of position, because obviously if you are in position, you don't know the pot odds until you know how much has been bet before you. ? It depends on a million things really... who raised pre (if anyone)? This a tourney or cash? If it's tourney, what stage are you in it, how many BBs you got? Also, how can you possibly know on the flop that you have a 1:1 win ratio, surely that means you are 100% you know exactly what your opponent has??
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi mate.the ratio to percentage odds are based on the number of outs i have post flop,nothing to do with position,cash or tourny or who raised and who didnt.(it could depend on how many bbs i have). ty.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: pot odds : hi mate.the ratio to percentage odds are based on the number of outs i have post flop,nothing to do with position,cash or tourny or who raised and who didnt.(it could depend on how many bbs i have). ty.
    Posted by windamon
    Well you've ignored what I said about how can you know 100% what the other person has? So you can sit there and think, well I've got 9 outs to the flush and 3 outs for a fullhouse but for all you know your opponent already has quads and you're dead and have zero outs. So pot odds are never an exact science. Things like whether they raised pre, whether they 3bet etc are ways of putting them on a range of hands from which you can have a good 'guess' at which outs are actually going to win the hand and which won't

So how are you getting the odds of you winning? And when you say the pot odds are 3:2 are you saying that you have to put 3 in to win 2 (e.g. you've gotta call 150 to win 100)? In which case, you want better than a 50/50 chance of winning to continue.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: pot odds : Well you've ignored what I said about how can you know 100% what the other person has? So you can sit there and think, well I've got 9 outs to the flush and 3 outs for a fullhouse but for all you know your opponent already has quads and you're dead and have zero outs. So how are you getting the odds of you winning? And when you say the pot odds are 3:2 are you saying that you have to put 3 in to win 2 (e.g. you've gotta call 150 to win 100)? In which case, you want better than a 50/50 chance of winning to continue.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This confused me how can we have to put in more than is in the pot?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: pot odds : This confused me how can we have to put in more than is in the pot?
    Posted by grantorino
    Yeah I know, I thought that after I posted it but his pot odds confused me. Surely 3:2 means you have to put 3 in to win 2, which is the equivelant of what I said, 150 to win 100, even though it doesn't make sense.

I dunno if I'm confused or he's getting his pot odds wrong but isn't that the right meaning of 3:2 ?
  • edited August 2011
    basically he is sayin a flop has been shown where he thinks he's a flip to win.... pot odds are givin him 3-2, so he has to put 2 3rds of the pot in......ie £2 to win £3 already in the pot

answer is call.. obv
  • edited August 2011
    3:2 is just 1.5:1 so he needs 1/(1+1.5)*100 = 40% equity to make a breakeven call
    if you are 1:1 to win the hand you have 50% so should never fold.